SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Poll: Are you for or against the proposed Morrisons Local?
For
Against
Neither
[Show Results]

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (8): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next > Last »
Planning Application: M&Co to become a Morrisons Local?
brencud

17-07-2014 11:57 AM

You're absolutely right that the deliveries discussion is speculative, but there will be no planning application for this, and hence Morrisons will never have to say anything that would give us the opportunity to scrutinise their plans. One day lorries will just start rocking up with deliveries.

Michael mentioned that due to the town centre being a conservation area, consent would be required for alterations to the shop frontage. Is this literally an application for the appearance of the shop front (and any other exterior works to the building), and once again we would have no details of how deliveries would be made?

As I've said before, my objection isn't with the principle at all; my concerns relate specifically to this particular issue. I haven't signed the petition as I really would like to find out what Morrisons say is their plan to service the store before launching any sort of objection.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Perryman

17-07-2014 04:20 PM

I've signed the petition - the pro's have had long enough to explain how the shop could be safely serviced, and have failed to do so.

Of course I have no meaningful objection to the extended alcohol license, but this petition seems to be the only mechanism to air any supplementary concerns.
It is a bit like the Prime Minister's question time - no-one really cares what his engagements are for the day - but that's what he is asked about before the real follow-up question is posed.

HOPcat

17-07-2014 04:55 PM

That's a shame indeed. Who needs yet another supermarket local, particularly one plonk up against Sainsbury's? M&Co was great value - I shall miss it.

christgill

17-07-2014 05:37 PM

Quote:
It is an offence knowingly or recklessly to make a false statement in connection with an application. The maximum fine for which a person is liable on summary conviction for the offence is £5,000.

Does this apply to objections (which are, after all, "in connection" with the application)?

Quote:
I've signed the petition...

Of course I have no meaningful objection to the extended alcohol license...

blushingsnail

17-07-2014 06:44 PM

In reply to brencud's question, yes, a planning application for changing the shop front would only include information about the frontage. Deliveries, opening hours etc would not be relevant.

I agree that deliveries are likely to be problematic. Might it be worth approaching Morrisons to ask what their delivery plans are (eg how many deliveries per day; at what times; what size lorries)? Then we can actually judge whether we think their plans are feasible or not. Although there's no formal mechanism to object, at least we could start a dialogue with them to express any concerns we may have.

As we know, the shop is on a red route. According to the current Streetview images, this section of red route has red double lines that extend partly into Havelock Walk (up to No6 on the right hand side, and around the back of Santander's building on the left). According to TfL's website:

"Vehicles are not allowed to stop at any time on double red lines. They operate every day, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and do not require a time plate (sign)."

So delivery lorries won't be able to stop outside or in the entrance to Havelock Walk (unless they want to repeatedly receive penalty charges and the resulting ill-will from the local population).

The rest of Havelock Walk is a Controlled Parking Zone with hours of Mon-Fri 9am-5pm. What does that mean - is it permit holders only during those periods?

The restrictions at the loading bay outside Energie are (again according to Streetview):

No stopping Mon-Fri 7am-7pm
except between 10am-4pm for loading (maximum 20 minutes)

So there's scope for them to unload there. Which will mean, as someone has already pointed out, having to wheel the trolleys along that stretch of pavement dodging pedestrians and people waiting at the bus stop.

Does approaching Morrisons to ask about this seem like a good idea?

shaman

17-07-2014 08:01 PM

Quote:
but this petition seems to be the only mechanism to air any supplementary concerns.

You could always speak to your MP, or Councillors.

oryx

17-07-2014 09:57 PM

I'll miss M & Co - you can get some nice stuff (all of it seems quite good quality) and some bargains if you look hard.

Like a lot of other people have said I don't see why Forest Hill town centre needs another supermarket.

edpaff

17-07-2014 11:31 PM

Quote:
So delivery lorries won't be able to stop outside or in the entrance to Havelock Walk (unless they want to repeatedly receive penalty charges and the resulting ill-will from the local population).

Unfortunately the red route at the top of Havelock Walk is not policed at all (I'm not sure whether the Lewisham CPZ officer has the power to do anything about it). I've only ever noticed someone getting a ticket there once, despite seeing people stop there every day from my office window. People stopping to pick up pizzas seems to be the biggest problem, in addition to the regular delivery trucks and lorries (many of which are servicing the shops opposite the station and have back entrances off Havelock Walk). Cars parking illegally stop people from being able to turn around to get out, and lorries just block the street entirely.

Quote:
The rest of Havelock Walk is a Controlled Parking Zone with hours of Mon-Fri 9am-5pm. What does that mean - is it permit holders only during those periods?

Yes, anyone parking there should have a permit, although only recently have I noticed the CPZ moped chap checking number plates. Most people just park on the red lines and seem to get away with it.

rbmartin

18-07-2014 12:13 AM

Quote:
Not exaggerating anything. Just pointing out how weak the initial case was, which apparently is grounds for a libel action. I see you're now developing it from OMG ALCOHOL NO OMG!!! which is to be welcomed. I never knew there were so many puritans in Forest Hill. Had you waited a little while and actually put some thought into it, you might not have needed to hang your objections on something that always smacked of being deeply insincere. I still think the deliveries argument is highly speculative, and that you should base any objections to it on what Morrisons actually say, rather than 'well, some bloke on the forum says they'll need a lorry there two or three times a day, backing into the next street, and there's no way they'll park outside the gym, no.'

So we've gone from your allegations about local traders being in cohorts to scupper the M Local alcohol licence to those on the anti side being puritans. That's an improvement of sorts I suppose?

I don't consider myself a puritan, more on the side of common sense.

The other two churches you mention are smaller in comparison to the Capitol. KICC have a huge congregation, up to 12,000 visit their main church in Walthamstow, which is soon moving to 'Prayer City' in Chatham on purpose built ground purchased from the local scouts.

Perryman

18-07-2014 01:36 AM

Quote:
Does this (recklessly making a false statement) apply to objections (which are, after all, "in connection" with the application)?

True, the alcohol licence issue is probably not the main thrust of the objections, but that does not make them false.
They just have more meaning in context of the other concerns that can be expanded on in the petition.

This will enable the planning office to perhaps informally explore solutions to the main concerns. Well that is my intention anyway.

Baboonery

18-07-2014 10:50 AM

Quote:
So we've gone from your allegations about local traders being in cohorts to scupper the M Local alcohol licence

I don't remember doing this. Would you care to show us where?

BillieJameson

18-07-2014 12:17 PM

It's not good to have empty shops and Forest Hill has improved greatly over the years - we used to have more pound/black sack shops. I still don't understand how many coffee shops can survive or so many nail bars. Does anyone know what's planned for the old Pedder's building now they've moved?

AMFM

18-07-2014 04:43 PM

I haven't got any particularly strong feelings one way or the other on this but from the couple of times I went into M&Co, my recollection is that it was a pretty big unit so it's always going to be a unit that will attract the chains rather than the smaller independents.

The unit that now houses Canvas & Cream (who clearly did their homework before going in) went through several unsuccessful independent restaurant incarnations before C&C arrived and turned it into a success.

I'm sure an independent outfit of some description could survive but it needs to be really well thought out. I am equally ambivalent about the notion that every shop on the high streeet should be an independent - why? It is perfectly possible for both to co-exist. I don't want an Identikit high street anymore than anyone else but this idea that "national/multi-mational bad, independent good" is completely flawed. You need both for a high street to thrive.

Maybe a Morrisons will force the little shops to up their games...

AMFM

18-07-2014 04:48 PM

Oh, and to those who say we don't need a decent wine retailer -I totally disagree (although the M&Co would be far too big I think).

If ever I want to pick up some wine or beer on the way home from work (I cycle) I stop in East Dulwich - as there is nowhere in Forest Hill that sells a decent selection of wine or beer (the beer selection in the offy I stop at in East Dulwich is far better than anything I can get in FH).

BillieJameson

18-07-2014 06:02 PM

Or indeed how about a Lidl or an Aldi? I like Aldi's Toro Loco for £3.99.........

nevermodern

23-07-2014 10:42 AM

Just noticed this morning that the small shop between Sainsbury's and M&Co has gone 24 hours....

rbmartin

23-07-2014 05:19 PM

Quote:
Just noticed this morning that the small shop between Sainsbury's and M&Co has gone 24 hours....

Yes, I noticed the new sign last weekend. I don't think they can sell alcohol overnight though.

nevermodern

23-07-2014 11:54 PM

I understand they will be serving alcohol 24 hours. Guess it's not unusual - the londis on lordship lane does.

blushingsnail

24-07-2014 12:47 PM

Their alcohol sales licence is for 24 hours a day.

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/bu...fault.aspx

"List of Current Licensed Premises"
Find the address then scroll across and hover over the little red mark to see the hours of the licence.

christgill

24-07-2014 07:56 PM

Wow, I note on that Licensing spreadsheet that Sainsbury's on London Road have a 24-hour off-license.

I never knew that!

Pages (8): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lewisham Council approve "controversial" planning application samuelsen 1 4,450 10-11-2022 04:43 PM
Last Post: taymountgrange
  Taymount Grange | Planning Application | DC/22/127431 taymountgrange 6 5,283 10-11-2022 04:38 PM
Last Post: HannahM
  Planning application to convert Home Accessories Extra to a coffee shop hillview 8 11,481 22-04-2018 01:35 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Planning application to convert Forest Hill Co-op to a hotel hillview 12 13,239 10-03-2018 02:34 PM
Last Post: Uhuru
  Planning application to change Honor Oak Supermarket to a bar nitoda 10 18,958 03-07-2016 08:42 PM
Last Post: HannahD
  Planning Application: 1 Manor Mount Mrjamon 50 57,546 14-12-2015 11:46 AM
Last Post: Londondrz
  The 4 Redberry Grove Planning Application robertlondon 21 33,004 15-09-2015 07:16 AM
Last Post: JRW
  Planning Application: 51-53 Canonbie Road penfold 88 117,887 02-05-2014 02:04 PM
Last Post: Hunter
  Planning Application - Hindsley Place and Westbourne Drive michael 124 135,469 09-01-2014 01:46 PM
Last Post: Perryman
  Planning Application: 120 Stanstead Road michael 67 80,415 11-12-2013 03:50 PM
Last Post: Mr_Numbers
  Planning Application: 6 Church Rise ForestGump 58 74,115 02-04-2013 05:53 PM
Last Post: Snazy
  Planning Application: 6 Church Rise NewForester 30 43,640 02-08-2012 05:00 PM
Last Post: Snazy
  Planning Application: Land to the rear of 107 Honor Oak Park alethius 5 10,258 25-06-2012 12:02 PM
Last Post: alethius
  Planning Application: 27 Shipman Road theirpuppet 50 59,204 07-06-2012 10:25 AM
Last Post: emma
  Codrington Hill - planning application? blushingsnail 1 6,075 24-05-2012 11:02 PM
Last Post: megan
  Planning Application - 113 Bovill Road davidl 7 12,848 21-04-2012 12:06 PM
Last Post: HOPcat
  Planning application: 33 Dartmouth Road Baboonery 16 19,554 29-11-2011 10:41 AM
Last Post: IWereAbsolutelyFuming
  Planning Application: 15 Davids Road NewForester 4 8,515 18-08-2011 08:34 AM
Last Post: notstoppin
  Planning Application: 139 Sunderland Road RobF 48 55,255 04-06-2011 10:00 PM
Last Post: michael
  Planning Application - Next to Baxter's Field michael 8 12,561 22-03-2011 10:44 AM
Last Post: IWereAbsolutelyFuming