SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (18): « First < Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Next > Last »
Perry Vale - Road Issues
Perryman

14-06-2008 03:49 PM

Laugh
nimby?
This forum is all about local issues - perhaps it should only be people outside the area who are able to comment.

My observations concern a busy pedestrian crossing point - all those who use the station from Perry Vale North area will cross here; any one wanting to catch the bus south will have to cross here; all the new residents in the new apartments will need to cross here.

There currently is a crossing point and pedestrian island.
The new plans indicate no designated crossing point at all.

The road will be narrowed, but the purpose of that is to move the junction with Hindsley's place further forward. Why? Because the new flats will obscure the oncoming traffic. The plans show a 'garden' (=ivy plus low maintenance shrubs) where the pavement currently is, so this land has been sold, but sure, I doubt if this was the driving factor - the council simply did not think it through imo and the apartments should have been built further back.

Crossing a busy road is not such a big issue for 80% of us, but the visually impaired, disabled, elderly, people with children, prams, shopping etc etc cant just shoot across, and it is disgusting that the council simply do not give a monkeys about these minorities.

Pedestrian islands allow you to tackle the problem one stream at a time. They are a good thing.

PS To keep this strictly on topic:
They should make this diversion permanent.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snazy

14-06-2008 06:19 PM

lol what is it with 3 lettered user names and pointless posts...

Quote:
Wow, over-taxed indginant angry moralising nimbyists have made it to Forest Hill.

We've made it people!!! We have disappeared up our proverbial Upper Dulwich Bottom!!

Eh Confused

brian

14-06-2008 06:49 PM

Perryman , I agree 100%. It would be great if Perry Vale from Waldenshaw Road was Pedestrianised. Think Cafe's with chairs outside.
Motorists can go down Sunderland Road or others to get on S Circular.
It amazes me some mornings at about 8.30 to see traffic backed up to Dacres Road or even further.

Snazy

14-06-2008 07:00 PM

Waldenshaw runs off London Road, not Perry Vale ?

Sunderland road is a totally residential street,as is Church Rise, and Westbourne, with less access to anywhere else, so surely that makes no sense. Dont think the businesses would like that too much.

Snazy

14-06-2008 07:02 PM

Did you mean Waldram Cresent maybe? Or Waldram Park Road ?

The A205 is sadly the most suitable road for the volume of traffic. The layout is questionable in places, but all in all, I dont think sending the traffic round the houses, to have a cafe in a pedestrian haven is the answer.

Sherwood

14-06-2008 07:21 PM

It could be made a one-way street permanently and narowed to one lane. Then it would not need a central reservation.

shzl400

14-06-2008 08:10 PM

Has anyone asked the residents of Westbourne Drive what they think of all the additional traffic? And do you think they would like it to be permanent?

ambient
No longer registered

15-06-2008 06:32 PM

surely a simple Pelican Crossing in front of Forest Hill Central is the answer?

Snazy

15-06-2008 06:47 PM

Zebra crossing would be more than enough I would have thought.
However I can be 99% sure most commuters would still just walk across the road.

PVP

16-06-2008 09:20 AM

On a far more constructive note, not to have a crossing of some kind is very stupid. If / when someone is knocked down in the future, there will be an enquiry, then lots of money spent and road closure to correct what was omitted first time around.

Sherwood

16-06-2008 12:40 PM

I think you need to have at least one person killed before you can get a crossing!

CAW

16-06-2008 12:48 PM

Oi!! my username is my initials!! I could of had outrageousrentboy, but i went for something a little more conservative!!

Baboonery

16-06-2008 01:08 PM

The traffic management people are reluctant to put zebra crossings on roads like PV in the immediate vicinity of national rail stations, because at peak times there's a long and steady stream of people and traffic will never get the chance to advance without breaking the law, causing back-ups. Plus, realistically you'd need two, and that would be a nightmare.

At least, this is what they said at Hornsey, where I used to live, and I can see the argument. I'm not that anti-car!

PVP

16-06-2008 02:23 PM

When the traffic is backed up on Perry Vale in the morning, crossing is easy. But as mentioned earlier, you have to think of the vulnerable in society who I imagine will not be too pleased at having to shuffle across a blind curve with boy racers burning through...

Perryman

16-06-2008 02:34 PM

Good points Baboonery.
Also many drivers do not seem to recognise zebra crossings as legitimate crossings any more - even outside schools - they routinely honk their horns at the car that has just stopped/those that are crossing.

Another reason I like the pedestrian islands is that they do not back down in the 'whose road is it anyway' argument.
Cars are always having 'debates' with the islands along Perry Vale, and hopefully it is just the drivers' attitude that is lost.

If there is no longer room for an island, then the only other thing most drivers stop at is a red light (as in traffic light, not district). Since it has no other lights to synchronise with, a pelican crossing could be set to a near instantaneous response and be a useful crossing aid for all, and encourage pedestrians to stay on the pavement either side.

Other things that would help imo would be to include the Road in the 20mph zone (like we were offered oh so tantalisingly just a few years ago), and more speed tables rather than pimples (that achieve nothing).

Where was the public debate when they were deciding the new road changes/crossing facilities?

Snazy

17-06-2008 04:06 PM

I thought I would post regarding the permanent layout of the road following the reconstruction work.

Mick Hepworth has been kind enough to put together the following information.
From what I can picture it sounds like an improvement of sorts at least.

Hope it answers a few questions though, so once again, thanks Mick.

Quote:
The highway work on Perry Vale has come about through funding obtained during the planning process relating to the Berkeley Homes' development on Hindsley's Place. In order to improve visibility to vehicles turning out of Hindsley's Place it was necessary to design out the sharp bend on Perry Vale. We have in effect moved the carriageway further eastwards, as well as pulling the Hindsley's Place junction to the west. The result of this means that there will be a constant eastern footway width of nearly 2m. The western footway will be widened virtually along its full length. This means that the footway will feel much larger and reduce pedestrian congestion during busy periods of the day. A wider footway means we are also in a position to introduce trees and additional plants. The carriageway will be reduced down to 7m in width, which will make crossing easier. Also, having the carriageway straighter will mean that pedestrians will be able to see on-coming vehicles easier and sooner. I am afraid to say that the island near the junction with Hindsley's Place will have to be removed. My site observations are that the majority of pedestrians who use this as a crossing point walk from further down Perry Vale. I would assume that they will begin to use the island at the junction with Church Rise. The existing raised crossing point and speed cushions are to be removed during the construction phase, but will be replaced. When we construct the raised crossing point we shall be providing ducts across the carriageway. This means that in future years, if it seems fit, a controlled crossing may be introduced. Current legislation means that we can only introduce controlled crossings where there are a high amount of pedestrian accidents. I am pleased to say that there are not enough pedestrian accidents in this area to justify a controlled crossing.

With regard to the road closure. There are currently three eastbound and two westbound closures in place. These have been put into place to help reduce congestion into Westbourne Drive, as well as try and reduce the number of vehicles using the residential road.

shzl400

17-06-2008 08:00 PM

Ha, ha - straighter road means I can go faster, see lemmings, er sorry, pedestrians earlier - Ya hey!!! Pedal to the metal!!!!

(Sorry, I really ought to go and take my pills now.....)

Sherwood

17-06-2008 11:20 PM

Who is going to volunteer to have an accident so that we get a crossing?

Snazy

17-06-2008 11:24 PM

Haha thats harsh, but im sure someone will offer themselves up, once drunks start staggering home to Forest Hill Central

Perryman

18-06-2008 01:19 AM

Quote:
"(In order to improve visibility to vehicles turning out of Hindsley's Place) it was necessary to design out the sharp bend on Perry Vale."

That is good news.
Er, but by moving the road as described, the corner will in fact become considerably sharper: the inner edge of the bend is being moved further in.
Plus with the apartments built on this previously unoccupied corner, visibility can only decrease for those crossing at the underpass.

We had a safe crossing point with a pedestrian island. This is being removed. Mick Hepworth is being deliberately misleading and obtuse to suggest this is an improvement.

Quote:
"I would assume that they will begin to use the island at the junction with Church Rise."

OK so those walking from further south have options as long as they are aware of the crossing disaster that awaits further ahead.
But what of those travelling from the underpass to the south going bus stop? They will have to walk south, cross then walk back north again to the bus stop.
Likewise all those walking to the large Perry vale North area presumably will not feel put out that they can no longer use the footpath shortcut.
And not forgetting all the new residents, who will also be forced ~70 feet South before crossing and going north ~100 feet.

I personally would assume that no-one will use the crossing at Church Rise, as I've not ever seen anyone use it to date.

Mick Hepworth's points are flaccid, and if he were made to cross Perry Vale at this narrow section by the underpass 10 times a day, he'd soon realise that he did not have a leg to stand on. (see what I did then?)

Pages (18): « First < Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Perry Vale Ward - low water pressure? SEN 2 4,143 23-11-2018 06:02 PM
Last Post: BigED
  Perry Vale Assembly Wed 7th November 2018 7pm hillview 0 3,322 06-11-2018 12:50 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Proposed Conservation Area: Perry Vale ‘Christmas’ houses and further north blushingsnail 2 4,755 25-10-2018 06:13 PM
Last Post: StuartG
  66-room hotel planned for All Inn One site, Perry Vale admin 5 7,682 11-10-2018 09:39 PM
Last Post: Snazy
  Crash on crossing by Perry Vale Snazy 0 3,935 13-06-2018 11:22 AM
  Perry Vale, armed police stop last night Snazy 0 3,693 13-06-2018 11:19 AM
  Petition: Pedestrian Crossing on Perry Vale by Forest Hill station BigED 7 9,376 03-06-2018 12:41 PM
Last Post: michael
  Perry Vale Ward Assembly - 6 June 2018 michael 0 3,577 03-06-2018 10:02 AM
Last Post: michael
  2018 Election Nominations for Forest Hill & Perry Vale Ward Councillors admin 2 5,476 18-04-2018 08:37 AM
Last Post: ForTiger
  Police community roadwatch session on Perry Vale hillview 0 3,313 01-06-2017 11:36 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Perry Vale One Way System michael 3 6,127 30-11-2016 11:12 AM
Last Post: wynell
  Perry vale hole Erekose 20 19,260 30-11-2016 06:46 AM
Last Post: Erekose
  Zebra crossing on Perry Vale! blushingsnail 3 6,144 23-11-2016 11:15 AM
Last Post: wynell
  Do we need a pedestrian crossing on Perry Vale at the rear of Forest Hill station? hertburs 113 99,918 16-11-2016 08:51 AM
Last Post: hertburs
  New planters on Perry Vale Foxtrot 5 8,068 04-07-2016 11:52 AM
Last Post: Mr_Numbers
  Ramp between Perry Vale and Dartmouth Rd Fsteele 14 14,048 20-05-2016 03:49 PM
Last Post: Perryman
  Parking Tickets being issued in Perry Vale car park when paying via RingGo rshdunlop 23 22,506 08-04-2016 01:35 PM
Last Post: Londondrz
  History of houses in Perry Vale triangle? Jane2 3 6,893 24-02-2016 09:53 PM
Last Post: Perryman
  Abuse at forest hill station Perry vale side Laurab82 20 21,880 13-11-2015 03:35 PM
  Perry Vale Local Assembly Tues 6th October, 7.00 Tim Lund 0 4,033 04-10-2015 10:37 PM
Last Post: Tim Lund