SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Abuse at forest hill station Perry vale side
Laurab82

11-11-2015 04:49 PM

Fellow train passengers, there seems to be lots of people trying to get through the barriers on platform 2 Perry vale side of forest hill station without tickets and the train men are letting them through to avoid confrontation.
Today I went to FH to go collect my son from school I am 39 weeks pregnant so I use the bigger barrier to get through, upon doing this 2 white young tracksuit wearing boys decide to walk through after not getting anywhere with the train man and barge into me. I said excuse me me please and I got told that's life and called a fat slag. When I turned round (which I know I should of kept my mouth shut) to say your very ignorant get some manners I got chewing gum thrown at me and verbally abused with lots of swear words. I asked the train man if he was just going to let them through like that and just verbally abuse someone the way they did and I just got a blank expression while he sat in his cabin. I wasn't expecting him to be a hero and jump up and fight them but maybe even a few words to them could of been said. It ended up with me waking off swearing at them as I was very angry and I complained at the station and I was given a comments form. The ticket office told me that the same thing happened on Monday to the same man on the same side (Perry vale) with people not being let through for free getting shirty. Please be weary when leaving this exit morning/day/night.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snazy

11-11-2015 05:27 PM

Wow, that's a horrible experience. I hope you and baby are ok after that.
Does seem the way these days that confrontation is best avoided, and just give in to the nasty scum who behave in such a way.
Has this been reported to the police at all? Just a thought that they might be regular, and identifiable by the station staff.

Certainly something that the BTP should have been made aware of by the station.

Laurab82

11-11-2015 05:50 PM

Your right I should report it to the BTP, il have a look later and call them. I know I should of avoided confrontation eps being pregnant but I had to say something for the pure reason they barged into me after them going through on my ticket. But I shouldn't expect anything less from people who call pregnant ladies fat S**gs and won't buy a train ticket. Thank you for your concern also.

Snazy

11-11-2015 07:57 PM

I have passed the link to this to our local @MPSForestHill on Twitter, they are now aware. BTP were also copied in. Still worth a call for sure. Not saying you should or should not have done anything, the station should have taken care of that if they witnessed or were made aware.

As for you not reacting, you were perfectly entitled to, and I would have done the exact same. Sometimes it's to release some stress and emotion, rather than letting it get to you.

My comment about not rising to confrontation was more about the way staff are trained to deal with matters like this. Not quite turn a blind eye, but not to antagonise the aggressor. Following the assault in 2013 I bet most staff at the station are quite rightly not keen to get involved.

Here's to getting the little scrotes caught at some point. And you feeling safe in your travels.

Laurab82

11-11-2015 08:15 PM

Thank you very much for passing on the info.
Hopefully no more people get abuse or assaulted in the future.
Thanks 😊

Sherwood

11-11-2015 08:23 PM

Revenue inspectors visit stations without barriers. Obviously, they need to visit Forest Hill occasionally.

Sometimes I find people treading on my shoes as they tailgate through the barriers.

Benderish

11-11-2015 08:59 PM

Good on you Snazy for contacting the BTP. This kind of thing is completely uncalled for. Hope you're ok Laura.

Snazy

11-11-2015 10:14 PM

Sherwood, they do do visits with the BTP from time to time, in large numbers too. Sounds like it's time for a revisit though I agree.

Benderish, I merely pointed them to Laura's post, along with the local Met. But thank you all the same.

Really would love to see this current trend of "entitlement" stamped out though. It's poisonous to society as a whole.

P1971

11-11-2015 10:54 PM

Laurab82 Hope you are okay and I would have done the same if I were in your situation.

Shocking that the TFL employer said nothing though, I did pop by on my way home tonight around 6ish after seeing this and asked the chap if he was working that barrier around 4ish today but said he wasn't otherwise he would have got a mouthful from me about your dilemma.

I'll mention this to our local PCSO's when they pop by next, they are pretty good with this sort of thing.

As long as you are okay that's all that matters.

Erekose

12-11-2015 06:50 AM

Yes Sherwood this has happened to me as well. I pointed it out to the chap in the box who just looked disinterested. Maybe a rogues gallery from CCTV footage could be compiled?

Pippi

12-11-2015 09:10 AM

And maybe add the station guy to the rogue's gallery, he's the real villain as far as I'm concerned.....letting the idiots through the barrier, and not defending poor Laura, what a **** Thumbdown

Londondrz

12-11-2015 09:47 AM

Pippi, all very well to say on a keyboard but given a member of his team was seriously assaulted a little while ago I am not surprised he was reluctant to get involved. Two on one with people who don't care, good luck.

Snazy

12-11-2015 10:13 AM

Indeed let's not forget http:// http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=8642

While I would not expect them to play the hero, you would hope for a show of compassion and concern when all dies down. If the situation allows it.

It is indeed easy to say what we would all do, but so many don't actually follow through in reality.

Main thing is Laura is doing OK, and able to pursue any avenues she chooses.

Decker

12-11-2015 10:43 AM

That's horrible.

Sorry to hear.

I've seen it before at other stations though. People just walking up to the barriers, yelling at the staff to open them, abusing them and they just open it. They are obviously told to avoid confrontation for their own safety. And if BTP aren't there on the spot there's not much they can do.

Having chewing gum thrown at you, isn't that assault?

Pippi

12-11-2015 12:02 PM

Hmmm, I guess! That poor guy (from the thread of two years ago). I am horribly scrappy myself unfortunately, and when I think of some of the situations I've jumped into without thinking I do have to thank my stars that nothing serious has happened to me (so far, touch wood)!
It's so vexing to think we speak up for ourselves/others without fearing for our lives tho'! Sad

Londondrz

12-11-2015 12:44 PM

With you on that one Pippi, I jump in and realise later that the consequences could be negative for me. Still, I dont like to see people being abused or people taking the P**s.

Snazy

12-11-2015 12:53 PM

Same here usually, wade in, then think later, and consider all the outcomes that may have been. Makes life a little interesting.

I would guess that the company policy is to avoid escalation, minimise the risk of injury to all, and just make a note and report the incident. There probably is a rogues gallery at the BTP offices I'm sure.

Sad really that some people feel the need to behave in such a way. Such a false feeling of self importance, and the belief they command respect. Fools! Thumbdown

There are some weird company policies out there, both written and unwritten.
A friend was a bus driver and was told if a car pulls out, DON'T brake hard, just in case you avoid a collision but cause an injury on the bus.
Apparently the thinking on this one was, if you hit the car, its their fault, and compensation for injuries on the bus fall to the car drivers insurance, and not the bus. Heard that from a few friends all at different garages.
Thankfully human nature probably over rules that one a lot of the time.

Poppy9560

12-11-2015 01:23 PM

I hope you're ok after such an unpleasant experience Laura. Someone squeezed roughly through the barrier behind me once-the station man was standing there watching so I asked him about it and he said he didn't see anything!
I didn't realise a member of staff had been assaulted - why not just take the barriers away and let us all travel free!!!!!!!!!!

Ligersaur

12-11-2015 04:36 PM

I've also seen the "youths" loiter by the larger exit gate at the Perry Vale side and then squeeze through when someone else has tapped out. The guard does nothing but, in his defence, I doubt that he sees the offence as he is thoroughly engaged with his phone.

I think that having the back exit unmanned and therefore having the revenue inspectors visit occasionally would be a better solution.

I have previously wondered about the cost benefit of having the rear entrance - three gates requiring one attendant who doesn't want to be there. Exiting via the front entrance and using the underpass is not an unpleasant option and the underpass would feel even more safe with the additional footfall. Personally, I would happily trade closing the rear entrance if there was a possibility of increasing the capacity of the front entrance and adding another ticket machine there. I'm sure that the guards would much prefer to work in groups if they wanted to challenge the fare dodging youths.

Mr_Numbers

13-11-2015 12:29 PM

What a horrible experience! I'm really sorry to hear you were put through that, Laura, and I hope your nerves and blood pressure have recovered!

I understand the ticket guy not wanting to be a hero, but surely he should have (a) shown compassion and made sure you were okay and (b) contacted the office across the tracks to immediately arrange for the CCTV recording to be relayed to British Transport Police. This was certainly, as someone said here, an assault, even without the chewing gum - not just a common or garden fare dodge.

Obviously not at all in the same league - but you remind me that I was astonished the other day to see someone exit The Glades shopping centre car park in Bromley by tailgating right after someone who had paid, nipping through before the barrier came down! Unbelievable nerve, some people have.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill Station car restrictions rbmartin 47 16,263 04-10-2022 05:30 PM
Last Post: BackOnceAgain
  South Circular closed eastbound by Forest Hill station ChrisR 3 3,544 09-08-2022 11:54 PM
Last Post: Sherwood
  Perry Vale Ward - low water pressure? SEN 2 3,927 23-11-2018 05:02 PM
Last Post: BigED
  Perry Vale Assembly Wed 7th November 2018 7pm hillview 0 3,178 06-11-2018 11:50 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Proposed Conservation Area: Perry Vale ‘Christmas’ houses and further north blushingsnail 2 4,528 25-10-2018 05:13 PM
Last Post: StuartG
  66-room hotel planned for All Inn One site, Perry Vale admin 5 7,349 11-10-2018 08:39 PM
Last Post: Snazy
  Crash on crossing by Perry Vale Snazy 0 3,794 13-06-2018 10:22 AM
  Perry Vale, armed police stop last night Snazy 0 3,563 13-06-2018 10:19 AM
  Petition: Pedestrian Crossing on Perry Vale by Forest Hill station BigED 7 8,986 03-06-2018 11:41 AM
Last Post: michael
  Perry Vale Ward Assembly - 6 June 2018 michael 0 3,446 03-06-2018 09:02 AM
Last Post: michael
  2018 Election Nominations for Forest Hill & Perry Vale Ward Councillors admin 2 5,260 18-04-2018 07:37 AM
Last Post: ForTiger
  Christmas Tree Switch On - Forest Hill Station and Kirkdale Cllr Paul Upex 0 4,546 01-12-2017 04:22 PM
Last Post: Cllr Paul Upex
  Police community roadwatch session on Perry Vale hillview 0 3,199 01-06-2017 10:36 AM
  Car reverses into cafe at Forest Hill station hillview 0 3,554 27-04-2017 11:00 AM
  The History Of Forest Hill Station falkor 21 39,237 02-02-2017 03:43 PM
Last Post: Mr_Numbers
  Perry Vale One Way System michael 3 5,890 30-11-2016 10:12 AM
Last Post: wynell
  Perry vale hole Erekose 20 18,430 30-11-2016 05:46 AM
Last Post: Erekose
  Zebra crossing on Perry Vale! blushingsnail 3 5,918 23-11-2016 10:15 AM
Last Post: wynell
  Do we need a pedestrian crossing on Perry Vale at the rear of Forest Hill station? hertburs 113 96,632 16-11-2016 07:51 AM
Last Post: hertburs
  Lines closed Forest Hill station Woody R 1 4,613 18-07-2016 05:47 PM
Last Post: admin