SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (18): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next > Last »
Perry Vale - Road Issues
Snazy

10-06-2008 09:46 AM

I hope that is correct, and do agree that a person in uniform is usually more effective than an automated money printer (camera)

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

10-06-2008 09:48 AM

+1.

Baboonery

10-06-2008 10:03 AM

It's THE WAR ON THE MOTORIST!!!

brian

10-06-2008 10:44 AM

I think you are being very unfair to our local police. If they stop anyone driving down a road closed road I am sure the motorist will claim their human rights have been infringed.
By the way all the signs say road closed from yesterday for 3 months. Seems to be open one way. Why is it not totally closed as per the signs

Snazy

10-06-2008 10:48 AM

Brian. I understood it to be the same mate, but on reading the over complex plans on the Lewisham website, I now understand the plan a little better.

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/TransportAndS...adclosures

From this date this will happen with X diversions in place, but from this day THIS will happen with XY diversions!

Needless to say I have fired off an email regarding the safety of pedestrians and other road users. I await a reply. I have put my suggestions on solving it in there too. i.e just do as you said you were going to in the sign.

Baboonery, as a motorist I would hardly say its war lol. Just pleading with a few of them to use a little of their ounce of common sense.

PVP

10-06-2008 04:41 PM

Brian, I agree. A road closure is both ways closed. A diversion could apply to a lane being closed.

Snazy

10-06-2008 05:43 PM

The official response from Lewisham is as follows...

(just for the record I am more than pleased with the response and the efforts detailed within.)

Quote:
Thank you for your mail in relation to the route I have put into place on Perry Vale.

I went over to the site yesterday & there was total chaos. I have been over there again this morning & things seemed to have calmed down a bit. However there were still a number of mad motorists who thought they could drive the wrong way down.

I have put up a total of 40 advance warning signs, am using LB Lewisham's electronic signs throughout the borough and have advertised this on the Council's website. Normally we would not do so much blanket advertising for a road closure.

I will look into providing water filled baulks along the kerbline, to stop any vehicles mounting the footway.

I am hoping that over the next day or so motorists will become more aware of the closure and use one of the three diversionary routes I have put into place.

On Monday 23rd June a full road closure will come into place, with all the carriageway being barriered off, so no vehicles will be able to use this section of highway.

I shall shortly be going back to site to see if there are any additional signs we can use to further restrict vehicles going against the correct traffic flow.

If you require any further info, please feel free to ask.

Many thanks

Just a shame that the stupidity and ignorance of a group of lazy motorists is causing extra expenditure to ensure the safety of pedestrians. I cant see anything but a complete closure of the road stopping the stupid few.

Snazy

10-06-2008 09:12 PM

Just a follow up, credit where credit is due. Well done to Mick Hepworth, the fella in charge of the layout.

After his mail to me today, I have just been past again walking the dog and WOW, what an improvement. Plenty of thought and work gone into reconfiguring it all, and its had a great effect Smile

Not right to complain without being willing to compliment, so there you go Smile

Snazy

11-06-2008 09:55 AM

Im shocked!!
I mailed Mick re the improvements from last night, and received the following reply...

I am disgusted I have to say at some of the stuff he has had to put up with from people driving through SE23..

Quote:
Thanks for the mail Michael

I was down on Perry Vale until around 8pm last night shouting and screaming at motorists that they couldn't head south. I can honestly say it was one of the most nerve racking things I've done - I got spat on, sworn at & even threatened to be "bashed up" by a cab driver, the things I do for my job...

Generally all I've done is changed the initial advance warning sign at the Waldram Place / South Circular junction, then sprayed over some text on a couple of the other signs. This seems to have kept motorists on the south circular and have them then turn into Westbourne Drive. Hopefully people will start to use the other diversions which take them through Sydenham - this will reduce the congestion problem on the south circular.

I have also provided an additional "no entry" sign on Perry Vale, where the closure begins. This means that now the closure is enforceable by the police. They have proposed to position a couple of traffic police near Hindsley's Place, who will be able to issue fines to those stupid enough to drive the wrong way. Those caught will also receive three points on their licence.

ambient
No longer registered

11-06-2008 10:50 AM

I too am stunned at this! Even this morning at 8:20am, after all the changes to signs, I witnessed three drivers ignoring the closure, forcing oncoming drivers onto the pavement, which obviously at the time was busy with pedestrians heading for the station.

Snazy

11-06-2008 10:55 AM

Yup, that was my primary concern in the first place, the pedestrians. I cant believe the actions of these drivers. 3 is a small number in comparison to the day before, but still 3 to many.

I will be passing it again in a while and will report back to Mick my findings. Lets hope a few DO get prosecuted for their behaviour. I dont think anyone can argue they did not realise it was no entry any more.

Elizabeth25

11-06-2008 11:13 AM

Is there anyway access can be blocked completely to drivers, driving the wrong way? As we have seen, signs are just not enough.

Snazy

11-06-2008 12:40 PM

Not really no, unless Waldram Cresent from the railway bridge was closed off, which would probably be a good idea. But with no right turn at the traffic lights by the chip shop, local businesses could complain their business is affected by lack of access, encouraging compensation claims.

I know which side im on, but I guess they have to be careful.

I wonder at times if it is asking too much for drivers just to obey signs once in a while.

brian

11-06-2008 05:28 PM

Saw lady in a mini turning into road from south circular. I pointed out the sign to her , she looked confused but did turn left and then right back onto south circular.
The two signs are very large. Anyone who misses them should not be driving.
Has anyone been stopped and prosecuted yet.??

Snazy

11-06-2008 05:44 PM

I saw mini and wondered if it was the missus lol. But it was not, honest.
The diversion is set up from that point, so I guess the road closed signs made more sense from that point on.

I do agree though, if they cant work out the road is closed and they are no allowed down there, their ability to drive safely is questionable.

Snazy

13-06-2008 09:28 AM

Well, the time has come (somewhat prematurely)

Perry Vale is going to be closed TOTALLY, much earlier than planned.
Just received this email from Mick Hepworth, the guy lumbared with looking after this stretch of road during the works...

Quote:
Yesterday evening I was witness to a minor accident involving a transit van and the barriers. As you can probably guess the transit van was driving the wrong way against the road closure. Luckily the driver hit the barriers and not a pedestrian.

I have no other option than to close the road completely this afternoon. I was going to undertake this on Monday morning, but now I have no option but do the closure sooner rather than later. The longer I leave this the more chance there is of there being a serious accident.

So I guess thats that.

With that, I would like to thank Mick for keeping me in the loop with regards to what was going on there, following my initial mail. And also popped on here to see peoples comments etc. Mick, if you have any friends or family with morals like your own, please encourage them to join the local authorities, we could do with another 10 of you about.

And to the drivers who ignored the signs again and again. Well done.... you just closed a road early, due to your stupidity and ignorance! Not to mention your dangerous driving.

Elizabeth25

13-06-2008 09:44 AM

I am glad the road is closing sooner rather than later.

Last night, my husband was walking home from the station at 8:00 pm and yelled at a black SUV that he was driving the wrong way up Perry Vale. The SUV was revving his engine and blaring his horn, while the cars on the open side of the road had to go up onto the pavement to avoid this SUV.

When my husband crossed over Perry Vale, the black SUV stopped at the side of the road and the large man driving the car got out and started running at my husband. He quickly went into the Foresters Arms.

The man loitered a few moments outside the pub, while my husband called the police and then gave up and got back into his car and drove slowly up Perry Vale.

Unfortunately, my husband didn't get the SUV's plate number. And he told the police that the man drove off. But it was still very scary.

shzl400

13-06-2008 09:53 AM

Wasn't closed this morning at 9:15 .....

Snazy

13-06-2008 10:32 AM

No it would not have been shut off by then, I only recieved the email this morning and it quotes ""I have no other option than to close the road completely this afternoon."

Elizabeth, thats shocking, and im glad all is ok. However its one of the reasons I pursued this matter so agressively from the start. Im personally glad to see the road being closed, to stop the arrogant numpties from ignoring simple instructions.

PVP

13-06-2008 10:56 AM

One little diversion and the world goes bonkers! I really wonder at how in this day and age (we see it so many time) that the offender actually feels the victim, so quick to take offence, and even quicker to return perceived aggression.

I think we should all join BD in dancing around a camp fire and wailing to the full moon.

Pages (18): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Perry Vale Ward - low water pressure? SEN 2 4,092 23-11-2018 06:02 PM
Last Post: BigED
  Perry Vale Assembly Wed 7th November 2018 7pm hillview 0 3,298 06-11-2018 12:50 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Proposed Conservation Area: Perry Vale ‘Christmas’ houses and further north blushingsnail 2 4,713 25-10-2018 06:13 PM
Last Post: StuartG
  66-room hotel planned for All Inn One site, Perry Vale admin 5 7,640 11-10-2018 09:39 PM
Last Post: Snazy
  Crash on crossing by Perry Vale Snazy 0 3,912 13-06-2018 11:22 AM
  Perry Vale, armed police stop last night Snazy 0 3,673 13-06-2018 11:19 AM
  Petition: Pedestrian Crossing on Perry Vale by Forest Hill station BigED 7 9,321 03-06-2018 12:41 PM
Last Post: michael
  Perry Vale Ward Assembly - 6 June 2018 michael 0 3,562 03-06-2018 10:02 AM
Last Post: michael
  2018 Election Nominations for Forest Hill & Perry Vale Ward Councillors admin 2 5,439 18-04-2018 08:37 AM
Last Post: ForTiger
  Police community roadwatch session on Perry Vale hillview 0 3,297 01-06-2017 11:36 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Perry Vale One Way System michael 3 6,097 30-11-2016 11:12 AM
Last Post: wynell
  Perry vale hole Erekose 20 19,186 30-11-2016 06:46 AM
Last Post: Erekose
  Zebra crossing on Perry Vale! blushingsnail 3 6,118 23-11-2016 11:15 AM
Last Post: wynell
  Do we need a pedestrian crossing on Perry Vale at the rear of Forest Hill station? hertburs 113 99,536 16-11-2016 08:51 AM
Last Post: hertburs
  New planters on Perry Vale Foxtrot 5 8,027 04-07-2016 11:52 AM
Last Post: Mr_Numbers
  Ramp between Perry Vale and Dartmouth Rd Fsteele 14 13,978 20-05-2016 03:49 PM
Last Post: Perryman
  Parking Tickets being issued in Perry Vale car park when paying via RingGo rshdunlop 23 22,390 08-04-2016 01:35 PM
Last Post: Londondrz
  History of houses in Perry Vale triangle? Jane2 3 6,846 24-02-2016 09:53 PM
Last Post: Perryman
  Abuse at forest hill station Perry vale side Laurab82 20 21,791 13-11-2015 03:35 PM
  Perry Vale Local Assembly Tues 6th October, 7.00 Tim Lund 0 4,011 04-10-2015 10:37 PM
Last Post: Tim Lund