SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »
Devonshire Road - residents parking
devonshoreroad

10-01-2011 09:15 AM

Since the opening of the London Overground line we've found it increasingly difficult to park outside (or near to) our house on Devonshire Road (HOP end). We are seriously considering contacting Lewisham Council re: some form of residents only parking scheme. Does anyone have any views either way on this?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

10-01-2011 10:18 AM

Had the same problem on Waldenshaw Rd prior to CPZ, it is great. We can now actually park on the road we live in.

michael

10-01-2011 07:48 PM

Any CPZ will only push parking problems to other neighbouring roads. Account needs to be taken of this effect if any CPZ are to be created.

And what happens when council funds are a little low? Extra charges for CPZs. Lewisham is still fairly cheap, but don't count on it staying that way. Here's a petition in Barnet against excessive CPZ and other parking charges http://www.gopetition.com/petition/41889.html

DerbyHillTop

10-01-2011 09:34 PM

Some time ago I posted my view to the council that parking in my road (Derby Hill Crescent) was fine and no CPZ should be introduced. Well, that was before ELL started and I am almost tempted to petition my fellow neighbours to approach the council and request one now.

roz

10-01-2011 10:27 PM

The other issue to consider with Derby Hill will be what will happen when the Pools are up and running and how this might produce additional pressure on local parking. There is also increasing pressure due to two local schools nearby.

Some of us residents on the other side of the tracks have a lot of Horniman parking and hence were more than a little perturbed when a lot of parking was removed from Sydenham Rise in order to accommodate a bus stop which no one ever seems to use. Sydenham Rise was ideal for people parking for the Museum and the Triangle play park as most of the local residents had off street parking and it never seemed to directly impact on anyone.
I think therefore that any local decision on parking needs to be properly considered and discussed with the overall locality in mind, especially when so near a major facility with expansion plans in the offing.

kipya

11-01-2011 10:17 AM

Returning to the original post by devonshoreroad then parking in Devonshire Road (HOP end) is a real problem. It doesn't stop there, of course, but spreads into Boveney Road and Hengrave Road (and I daresay Grierson Road too). It has been gradually worsening over the years, but has now become a serious problem.

On bin collection days the pavement is an obstacle course making it impassible for people with push chairs and, heaven forbid, anyone in a wheel chair. I attach a photo showing the situation before the new line opened.

The problem might be due to a lack of public transport from some areas to take people to the trains. If the 63 bus were to travel over the hill to Brockley Rise then this might solve the problem.

The residents group on Hengrave and Boveney Roads are meeting to discuss the parking issue in the next few weeks. This may lead to some survey of opinion in the roads affected about the possibility of seeking a CPZ.

More broadly there is going to be an inevitable shift from private cars to public transport, bicycles and walking simply because there are too many cars and not enough places to put them. We ought to be looking at this problem more broadly and perhaps suggesting priorities of road use - public services, mobility needs, deliveries, trades people etc ahead of individuals' use of cars to get to the station.

michael

11-01-2011 12:08 PM

I know it costs money and goes against all progressive thinking, but wouldn't it make some sense to have cheap/free local car parks for commuters - to encourage them to drive the distance to the nearest, most useful, station and then to travel the maximum distance by train?

Some people live far from local stations (houses are generally cheaper the further you are from a station) and don't want to walk the extra 15-20 minutes each way when they could drive in 10 minutes. I guess HOP has a particular problem because of the large area of East Dulwich which does not have a more local station (I would like a Bakerloo line station close to Dulwich library).

Until there are designated places for commuters to park, there will continue to be a problem with parking close to stations until all of London is covered in CPZs. From a purely selfish perspective I don't want CPZs that will push your problem onto my doorstep.

By returning Perry Vale car park to its historic free status we could alleviate local roads around FH and HOP from around 100 commuter cars. At HOP Southwark council could create a temporary car park for commuters until they extend the cemetery to the area next to the station. Lewisham could create another temporary car park in the Greyhound track at Caford until the new development starts. At New Cross Gate there is space for a car park behind the new railway bridge and Sainsburys. These parking areas would solve the problem rather than pushing it elsewhere.

devonshoreroad

11-01-2011 05:44 PM

It seems that the consensus so far is that the ELL has disrupted those who live close to the station insofar as parking is concerned. I appreciate that once a CPZ has been established there is very little incentive for the local authority to (a) remove it; and (b) keep the charges down. However, I'm personally of the view that paying a sum each year to be able to park outside my house will be worth it. At the moment it's not a huge problem for us as we don't drive during the week so once our car is in position on Sunday night we're generally OK until we take it out at the weekend. However, we're expecting a child later on this year and a dread to think where my wife will have to park if she returns from a morning out as once commuters have parked in the morning they don't seem to move until the evening...

For those of you who have raised CPZs with Lewisham BC, how did you go about it?

alexfeakes

11-01-2011 06:02 PM

Quote:
For those of you who have raised CPZs with Lewisham BC, how did you go about it?

This page details some of the processes:

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/TransportAndS...ations.htm

devonshoreroad

11-01-2011 06:10 PM

Many thanks, I will be posting them through my neighbour's doors this evening!

roz

11-01-2011 09:18 PM

things may be bad but CPZ's do have their downside. They encourage parking to be more regular which can actually reduce the parking availability in any road. They will stop you parking across your own driveway should you be lucky enough to have one, and what happens if you need to have two cars? Greedy perhaps but many families have them for commuting/job reasons as well as family life. Another question is what happens whenever you have tradesmen calling to supply and fit a new boiler or washing machine, or you have a family party one day and no one can park anywhere within a mile of your road. It may be that you have these problems already but if you don't, you may still experience a downside to CPZ's that haven;t been considered.
I was one of the people who opposed CPZ's locally a few years ago but appreciated that things may change with the coming of the Overground. If the Horniman spreads its wings as it seems to be planning then that will bring further problems as will the Tyson Road development.

Londondrz

12-01-2011 10:59 AM

I am working from home today and can see about 20 cars on my whole road. Prior to the CPZ it would have ben rammed. Post CPZ it gets busy on a Sat and Sunday as people cant be a***d/dont know they can park in Sainsburys fo free for 2 hours.

I wasnt able to park right outside my house the other day and had to park a good 20 yards away, what a schlep.

As for deliveries, we give them a scratch card parking permit, couldnt be easier.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

12-01-2011 11:02 AM

How much do LBL charge for the visitors scratch cards and how many do you get a year? This was where my old borough used to screw us over.

Londondrz

12-01-2011 03:41 PM

£1.70 for 5 hours and £2.80 for a daily.

Londondrz

12-01-2011 03:42 PM

and you can buy a many as you want. Full details on the Lewisham site.

michael

12-01-2011 04:02 PM

Once all of Forest Hill is a CPZ I'm sure commuters from the top of the hill will be happy to pay the £2.80 per day to park outside houses close to the station or £1.70 on Thorpewood Avenue when going swimming. This will be in addition to pay and display machines in half the roads, just like in David's Road and Manor Mount.

I reality CPZs do not work like this and almost every street will have to be in a different zone (to stop people in Westwood Park parking in Hindsley Place or Devonshire Road, to stop people in Devonshire Road parking in Waldenshaw Road, and to stop people from Dunoon Road parking in Derby Hill).

I think we need to study any proposals very carefully before accpeting that a CPZ would actually be a positive move from residents and businesses around Forest Hill. And still nobody likes my idea of commuter parking zones (When will the forum get a 'likes' button just like on Facebook?)

DerbyHillTop

12-01-2011 04:24 PM

Michael,
I like your idea about extra parking for the commuters. Is there a petition I could sign along those lines?

robin orton

12-01-2011 08:00 PM

Michael said:

Quote:
wouldn't it make some sense to have cheap/free local car parks for commuters?

Isn't there a risk that this would merely encourage more cars on to the roads? Speaking as a local resident, if I knew there were free parking readily available near the up platform at FH station, I would drive to the station more often, to avoid a (steep) ten minute walk to and from my house.

If I'm right, there might not be much improvement in the street parking situation. People who at present regularly park in the streets might start using a station car park (either FH or the one nearest their home), thus creating space on the streets for people who currently walk or take the bus but would prefer to drive if they could be sure of a free or cheap parking place near a station.

Choppo

12-01-2011 08:41 PM

I recently contacted the council about the parking down Devonshire Road. I live at the FH end and am never able to park outside my flat which is a nightmare, especially with a toddler. They assured me they were looking into parking permits for sections of the road very soon. That was about four months ago so I may recontact them.

borderpaul

12-01-2011 09:18 PM

A free car park beside FH station would attract more people to drive as it would probably be the only free station car park in Zone 3. It would probably be full up and the overspill would add to the commuters on the existing overcrowded nearby roads.

A year later somebody in Lewisham would say why are we subsidising commuters who mainly live outside our borough, that car park is always full, lets charge them and make some money that we can spend on local people. The roads would then be more overcrowded when free parking is withdrawn.

Pages (4): « First [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Devonshire Road "spooky" house new residents? Siiri 8 9,931 07-05-2018 10:34 AM
Last Post: mrcee
  Boveney Road Residents Parking jade4692 10 10,664 12-03-2016 08:10 PM
Last Post: christgill
  Parking on Devonshire Road Choppo 48 43,693 05-10-2013 08:57 AM
Last Post: kipya
  Parking on Devonshire Road T and C 1 3,859 04-10-2010 08:26 PM
Last Post: annsquire66
  Warning to Residents on Honor Oak Road malcs 8 11,694 10-08-2010 06:58 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Parking Devonshire Road Choppo 37 33,502 04-08-2010 01:22 PM
Last Post: tripandfuschia
  Devonshire Road - Parking on the Pavement brian 15 16,380 09-12-2009 06:34 PM