SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Boveney Road Residents Parking
jade4692

10-03-2016 10:40 AM

hi,

to all residents near Boveney road and on Boveney road I strongly urge we get a petition together to introduce parking permits. if you are resident around this area you will have experienced the turmoil events of parking or evening trying to gain entry and exit of your home.

Devonshire road has be granted this planning permission and with this we will face the backlash. I urge that we all sign a petition and get parking permits introduced. It is only £120 PA (equivalent of £10 month; £2.50 a week).

in essence this may deter communters from using our roads at all. if we want this to stop we are going to have to act as a community together and do something about it as much as it distresses me I a msure I am not the only one facing the issue. the council we only implement if we all stand together and sign the petition of request otherwise it will remain how it is or get worse when resident parking is installed on Devonshire road. Smile

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lacb

10-03-2016 10:43 AM

Devonshire Road does not have a CPZ approved at the Honor Oak end so am not so sure that this will have the suggested impact on Boveney.

ETA: welcome to the forum!

This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 10:44 AM by lacb.

P1971

10-03-2016 12:22 PM

Hi jade4692

May I suggest you invite the residents on and near Bovney Road to meet up to see what the majority would like & if most feel the same then write to or email your local Cllr & Lewisham Council to request a CPZ. You could just speak to the residents or put a note through their door to invite them to a meeting to discuss this.

People tend to have different views on CPZ see the thread below

http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12014

Best of luck with this Smile

davidl

11-03-2016 09:23 AM

There are a number of problems with the introduction of CPZ's (particularly the way that Lewisham does them). And I personally think that £120 a year is too much given that the cost to the council is effectively painting some white lines and printing a permit, given that enforcement pays for itself.

The major one is that the introduction in one place tends to displace commuters to somewhere else - Honor Oak Park probably suffers because it's not easy to park anywhere near Forest Hill or Brockley stations. So Boveney Road might get some relief, but someone else (maybe Grierson, Parbury, Maclean etc) would feel the pain. Unless we have a borough-wide approach (probably including Southwark too) a patchwork of small CPZ's is just going to shift the problem. You'd just be passing on the problem that you think you're going to inherit.

The other thing is that for the residents in the CPZ lots of things become awkward - having friends or relatives come to stay, having tradesmen doing work, or sometimes even parking your own car.

I suspect I will get some flak for this, but I also think that when you buy a house near a station (as Boveney Road is) it's not unreasonable to think that people might be parking there for the train. From what I've seen it's not got significantly worse over the time I've lived in SE23, except when the council stopped people from parking on the main road coming down towards the station (which never seemed to cause a problem to me).

This post was last modified: 11-03-2016 09:24 AM by davidl.

robbrockley

11-03-2016 12:26 PM

Hear hear David. It is awful when I go to visit friends in Clapham or even Blackheath and parking is just such a trial - it is most unfriendly. I don't want a borough aid solution in Lewisham if it means we have a borough wide CPZ - we have absolutely no issues with parking in my road 99% of the time and a CPZ would be hell.

Foresthillbillie

11-03-2016 12:35 PM

The other issues with CPZ's is that when they are introduced, the number of parking spaces are reduced. The consultation for Forest Hill had one section of Devonshire Road marked with yellow lines for half the length on both sides of the road. Also, anyone with a drive/dropped kerb will find a yellow line over their drive stopping anyone from parking over the drive which then results in less spaces!

Shiro

11-03-2016 03:42 PM

I live on Grierson Road and the parking is a nightmare. Luckily I'm a young fella and don't mind parking a couple of roads down (on a good day) but I do worry about the elderly residents and issues they may have. When I lived in Dagenham the CPZ worked very well and residents were given tokens to allow friends and family to park on the roads too. I'm not sure why Lewisham couldn't introduce this system as well?

OakR

11-03-2016 05:42 PM

I'm not against a CPZ but would not want a full day one. If the objective is to deter commuters, then a 12-2pm restriction would work allowing friends and family to visit, and contractors, but not commuters to park all day. I'd also only have it Mon-Fri.

Sherwood

12-03-2016 02:00 PM

I think they do the 12 to 2 p.m. parking restriction in Blackheath.

You might have to have different hours so that the same team can visit different areas.

Herbparis

12-03-2016 02:33 PM

Just been informed that the council has rejected the idea of a CPZ covering within 1/2 mille of Forest Hill town centre due to lack of support from the residents. I agree that maybe a time restriction of 12 - 2 could be enforced but having a CPZ as mentioned will push the commuters to nearby roads.

Why are the resident complaining anyway? it is not a private road but a public one anyway and paid through the Road vehicle tax fund and does not give residents priority over parking to other road users.MadMad

christgill

12-03-2016 08:10 PM

Quote:
...paid through the Road vehicle tax fund...

Not since 1937 (and even then, not really...)

Wikipedia (if you can believe it) - Vehicle Excise Duty

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Devonshire Road "spooky" house new residents? Siiri 8 9,936 07-05-2018 10:34 AM
Last Post: mrcee
  Surface water in Boveney Road? Sunszajn 0 2,641 18-10-2014 02:51 PM
Last Post: Sunszajn
  Devonshire Road - residents parking devonshoreroad 62 60,263 29-04-2011 01:40 PM
Last Post: brian
  Warning to Residents on Honor Oak Road malcs 8 11,694 10-08-2010 06:58 AM
Last Post: Merlin