SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Warning to Residents on Honor Oak Road
malcs

09-08-2010 10:23 AM

I had an encounter with 2 young lads right outside my flat in Katherine Court on Sunday afternoon. They were actually on the property, sitting on the bins right beneath my balcony door. I went outside to ask them not to smoke as it was coming inside - they'd had just put the cigarette out so I left it that. Being new to the area, I wasn't sure if they lived in the buidling, so I didn't get into any debates about why they were there, but I felt uneasy so I kept an eye on them. Shortly after I talked to them, a car pulled up in the courtyard, and one of the lads went over, got in for about 30 seconds and then got out. The car drove off and the lads went on their way. You don't need to be a genius to hazard a very good guess at what they were up to - but I wanted to let people know to exercise a bit of vigilance on and around Honor Oak Road. One lad is ginger, about 16-18 - the other about the same age and looks a little bit Dappy or Dippy (whatever his name is ) from Ndubz. Both are about 5'6" - 6'0" and skinny - both are caucasion. I will be moving them on if they come back around - so they may end up in your neck of the woods - just thougth people should be aware.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ladywotlunches

09-08-2010 11:13 AM

Hi

Report this to the SNT - I saw something similar last year which was happening more and more, reported it and they stepped up surveillance. Don't know if it was coincidence, but these 'drive bys' seem to have stopped since.

junegapi

09-08-2010 11:36 AM

I'm not sure which end of Honor Oak Road Katherine Court is. But the bench on the large pavement area at the junction of HOR and Westward Park is another area where teenagers gather at dusk. They need somewhere to gather and chatter, BUT.....

It's too late to try for the Tyson Road project, but maybe next time this type of development is applied for, we should suggest that a local youth club with good facilities be run by the developers.

Or is this a step too far?

malcs

09-08-2010 11:52 AM

Katherine court is near the London road end so not the same kids I don't think. The guys I was talking about had come up off the road, into our courtyard, by the bushes under my window...a good 30 ft from the main road and pretty much out of sight - hence my concern. Kids are fine for the most part - and these guyes weren't rude or abusive, but if they were up to what I think they were up to, they need to peddle it on their own doorstep - and not under my window.

What is the "SNT"?

mgmonkey

09-08-2010 01:15 PM

Remembering back to my student days many years ago, when I used to buy such goods, I'd imagine it may well have been the person in the car selling & having told the 2 lads where to meet them..

philip

09-08-2010 01:34 PM

The SNT is the Police's Safer Neighbourhoods Team. They're friendly and helpful. Acting Sgt Dan Ascot is in charge.

http://www.met.police.uk/teams/lewisham/.../index.php
mailto:ForestHill.snt@met.police.uk
phone (usually voicemail, leave a message): 020 8721 2723 / 07768 178308

Cllr Philip Peake

james wilcox

09-08-2010 04:53 PM

"Posted by mgmonkey - Today 01:15 PM
Remembering back to my student days many years ago, when I used to buy such goods, I'd imagine it may well have been the person in the car selling & having told the 2 lads where to meet them.."

I seem to remember something similar, and being told to stay in the car for more than 30 seconds so it didn't look suspicious!!!

billham

09-08-2010 08:01 PM

Drug aspects aside, it is difficult to know how to handle these things best. I read too much in the papers about people being injured or dying after getting involved to want to be a hero. We had a lot of trouble for a while with groups of youths, including cannabis smoking. Getting a response from the police was very patchy - basically unless you could say your life was in danger it seemed very low priority. I remember getting really annoyed when after one non-response I received two phone calls the following day from adminstrators seeking to record important stuff like my age and ethnicity and what I thought of the 'response'!! It didn't take me many words.......

We did seek and got sensible advice from Safer Neighbourhoods although by their own admission they were woefully understaffed. One thing we were advised to do was to put in multiple calls to the police as this upped our prority!! I can see from the police's point of view that if they move it from one spot it will inevitably surface in another so it is a no-win situation for them really.

Police did manage to arrive at the right time on one occasion and wheel a few into (no doubt temporary) custody. This didn't remove the problem right away, but it just seemed to die away as naturally as it started. I did go out and chat to a small group one sunny afternoon when there was no serrious threat. They were a bit cocky to be sure but were in fact OK guys and for a while used to say hello if I passed them on the street! I think a bit of rapport like that helps -I tried to explain as fairly as I could out point of view and I think made some impact. However I would never have tried that on a dark night with a larger group. Simply not worth the risk.

Merlin

10-08-2010 06:58 AM

Thanks for the thought Junegapi - Tyson road does have a youth club, it meets outside the shop regularly. Once or twice they have demonstrated their creativeness regarding lack of facilities - my car was one of 3 that was used to jump over (followed by their dog) Replacing the roof and bonnet only cost me my no claims and £300 excess but at least they had some fun! Police told a witness to the event that 'they were probably bored' I might try that next time I'm at a loose end!

I won't even BEGIN to say what is likely to happen when the uber estate goes up!

Before anyone thinks I'm a NIMBY - I work with homeless young people in hostels/supported housing (including gang members) and had just come home from a really fantastic event celebrating the achievements of my young people when my car became an extra in a live version of Sonic the hedgehog.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Devonshire Road "spooky" house new residents? Siiri 8 9,930 07-05-2018 10:34 AM
Last Post: mrcee
  Boveney Road Residents Parking jade4692 10 10,663 12-03-2016 08:10 PM
Last Post: christgill
  Honor Oak Park Residents Association HOPcat 0 2,914 17-07-2014 03:42 PM
Last Post: HOPcat
  Honor Oak Park Residents Association - Open Meeting Wed 16 April 2014 admin 0 3,800 11-04-2014 08:12 AM
Last Post: admin
  Honor Oak Park Residents Open Meeting HOPcat 6 7,790 06-08-2013 09:17 AM
Last Post: Tersie
  Devonshire Road - residents parking devonshoreroad 62 60,256 29-04-2011 01:40 PM
Last Post: brian
  Honor Oak Park residents association/group? EleanorA 4 7,256 04-04-2011 09:02 AM
Last Post: Tim Lund
  Warning attempted Burglary - Honor Oak Park Honor Oak Bloke 19 21,622 25-08-2010 09:22 PM
Last Post: Honor Oak Bloke