SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Traffic calming for rat run on Devonshire Rd
Perryman

30-04-2010 12:43 PM

Quote:
I think you have to recognise that our roads were mostly laid out in the days when there were very few cars and lots of people walking (and pushing big prams). ... So, in my view, there is a strong argument for giving a bit more space to cars and a bit less to pedestrians than was appropriate in 1900, so long as - and I mean this sincerely, the remaining pavement is wide enough for double buggies, and for pedestrians to walk safely. - andrewr

I would have thought there are far more people using the pavements today than when these roads were first laid out, given the far greater density of people in the area now. Only a minority are car owners.

Plus it would not have crossed the designer's minds that the whole of the road space would be out of bounds to pedestrians. 2 abreast pavement width is fine if those in a hurry, those with dogs, groups of children etc could walk for long stretches in the road.

The pram theory does not make sense either as I doubt they were much wider than a double buggy - they still had to be manoeuvred through doorways.

There is a good case for widening the pavements and perhaps installing a cycle lane, which might be possible if the road were made one-way.

It is offensive to suggest narrow pavement space should be reduced to make more space for rat runners, but this is happening by default especially on the railway side pavement.
They should be towed away.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Traffic calming for rat run on Devonshire Rd - Perryman - 30-04-2010 12:43 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill rd, traffic calming measures - Southwark council samuelsen 0 2,598 19-09-2019 10:31 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Just a warning: Faulty traffic light on Devonshire/London Rd intersection. Chris88 4 6,589 12-09-2014 10:48 AM
Last Post: Chris88
  Change Devonshire Road Traffic Flow Petition yomster 4 7,001 13-10-2013 07:49 PM
Last Post: shzl400
  Change Flow of Traffic On Devonshire Road yomster 20 18,954 07-02-2013 08:44 AM
Last Post: Sherwood