SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Traffic calming for rat run on Devonshire Rd
andrewr

28-04-2010 08:35 PM

In response to tripandfuschia - the figures I have give a breakdown of traffic speed and volume by hour of day and day of week during the measurement period. Is this the 'census' you are referring to - or was there some other count done?

I think you have to recognise that our roads were mostly laid out in the days when there were very few cars and lots of people walking (and pushing big prams). I don't think we will be going back to those days until the oil runs out - and probably not even then. So, in my view, there is a strong argument for giving a bit more space to cars and a bit less to pedestrians than was appropriate in 1900, so long as - and I mean this sincerely, the remaining pavement is wide enough for double buggies, and for pedestrians to walk safely.

I agree that a commute from Catford to Peckham shouldn't use Benson Road - or Devonshire Road, but I really don't see how people can be stopped from doing it if it is quicker than the main road routes. Making it impossible can only be done by blocking roads or making them one way which is hugely inconvenient to local residents slowing their journeys and increasing their mileage. I believe many of the motorists caught going the wrong way down Manor Mount are locals!

To Roz - we have a large and under-used car park in Perry Vale. What is needed is level access from that car park to the station. It would be a much more suitable place to pick up and drop off, and for cabs to wait, than the extremely congested and awkwardly located space in front of the station. Bike racks seem to be increasingly used - apparently there was an increase of something like 23% in cycling in Lewisham last year. It's good to see some transport facility provided which has scope for growth for once!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Traffic calming for rat run on Devonshire Rd - andrewr - 28-04-2010 08:35 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill rd, traffic calming measures - Southwark council samuelsen 0 2,620 19-09-2019 10:31 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Just a warning: Faulty traffic light on Devonshire/London Rd intersection. Chris88 4 6,666 12-09-2014 10:48 AM
Last Post: Chris88
  Change Devonshire Road Traffic Flow Petition yomster 4 7,062 13-10-2013 07:49 PM
Last Post: shzl400
  Change Flow of Traffic On Devonshire Road yomster 20 19,093 07-02-2013 08:44 AM
Last Post: Sherwood