SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Support the Forest Hill Society
michael

04-12-2007 09:36 PM

Congratulations to the administrator on 5 great years of the various incarnations of this forum, and thanks to everybody who has contributed. It is great that there are now 500 members of the forum, with many people adding to the various debates - serious and fun.

But now that the forum has more members than the Forest Hill Society I would like to ask you to consider supporting the Forest Hill Society and to become a member. We provide regular newsletters, organise some great events, and provide a voice for the people of Forest Hill on issues including transportation, planning and development, and leisure. The more members we have, the more we can do and the better Forest Hill will be.

I would urge everybody who likes Forest Hill and want to see it develop in the best possible way over the next few years to show your support to the Society by becoming a member. And you may want to be on one of the committees or even take over from me as chair when it is time for the elections in the autumn.

You can find out more about the activities of the Society at: http://www.foresthillsociety.com/ with a membership form available to download from http://www.freewebs.com/foresthill/FHS_m...orm002.pdf
It only costs ?5 per year and you can pay for a single year or, if you prefer, set up a standing order.

It was on SE23.com that the Society was first suggested and was brought to life. Please continue to show your support and join the Forest Hill Society.
Many Thanks.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

12-02-2008 12:14 AM

This evening I found a way to allow people to subscribe to email updates from the Forest Hill Society website. This is open to members and non-members but with a website that changes frequently but irregularly this is a useful tool to make sure you do not miss any news from the Forest Hill Society.

http://fhs-feed.notlong.com
Follow the link and enter your email address and you will be updated whenever the website is updated. This includes every article from our newsletter.

If you prefer you can add the RSS feed from the site to your RSS reader:
http://foresthillsociety.blogspot.com/atom.xml
but the email subscription is easier and as long as you read email you won't miss the news.[/code]

Sandy67

12-02-2008 02:58 PM

my form is filled in (will post when i get a stamp Cool

forest_hill_billie

19-03-2008 07:11 PM

Michael

Having been a life long resident of Forest Hill, when I enquired about joining the Forest Hill Society and about Forest Hill Swimming Pool and whether anything could be done you advised me:

"Realistically demolition is probably the best option to provide quality swimming facilities on the site "

Having addressed the email to The Forest Hill Society and not to you personally I was led to believe that this is the view held by the Society however, I see on a previous thread that this is, in fact, your own personal view.

Why then, if you want to attract more members, put them off with by espousing your own bias?

michael

19-03-2008 10:19 PM

forest_hill_billie wrote:
Michael

Having been a life long resident of Forest Hill, when I enquired about joining the Forest Hill Society and about Forest Hill Swimming Pool and whether anything could be done you advised me:

"Realistically demolition is probably the best option to provide quality swimming facilities on the site "

Having addressed the email to The Forest Hill Society and not to you personally I was led to believe that this is the view held by the Society however, I see on a previous thread that this is, in fact, your own personal view.

Why then, if you want to attract more members, put them off with by espousing your own bias?

I believe that the line I used in my email to you, which I sent on behalf of the Forest Hill Society, is the considered opinion of the Executive committee of the Society. This does not mean that we have a 'policy' opposing all other options for partial retention of the existing buildings (as some have suggested), but we have to be realistic that some demolition is required for modern pool facilities and that the council have reasons for believing complete demolition is the best answer, which the mayor has already accepted.

It has been suggested that because I have a personal viewpoint that I cannot represent other opinions. This is not true. When I was elected to chair the Society I understood that, on occasions, I would need to put my personal views to one side when representing Forest Hill, and is why I have on a small number of occasions qualified my remarks as being my own personal opinions on this forum. But the FH Society is more people than just me and we have put together a team of people working on the pool issue.

Listening to the strength of feeling on SE23.com have been interesting and was mentioned a number of times in this evening's meeting with council officers. I believe that a variety of views were expressed by myself and others regarding potential options that would meet the wishes of the local community. But it is still not clear that a small group of people on SE23.com fully represent the views of the people of Forest Hill.

I will try to make more information available regarding the discussions with the council in the next week, but I have a lot to digest (not just by dinner from the Jolly Bee) before I go into all the details discussed this evening (most of which was more administrative than grand designs - with one notable exception). And I apologise for the fact that this is going back on my commitment to 'provide you with more information regarding any plans as soon as we know what they are'.

thenutfield

19-03-2008 10:34 PM

Hey forest hill billie, dont be too hard on Michael. In his position it is inevitable that there will be overlaps between his own views and those of the society. Relax, this is the FH Society we are talking about, not the UN!

And if you want to influence the views of the society, why not join (says me, who has had the form on my kitchen table for too long now)?

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill Society Newsletter - April 2024 admin 0 12 Today 05:26 PM
Last Post: admin
  Forest Hill Society eNewsletter - October 2023 admin 1 1,706 20-09-2023 08:23 PM
Last Post: rbmartin
  Forest Hill Society August Newsletter admin 0 1,541 28-07-2023 09:04 AM
  Christmas quiz with the Forest Hill Society michael 0 1,573 04-12-2022 08:57 PM
Last Post: michael
  Forest Hill Society AGM 2022 michael 0 1,758 06-10-2022 08:29 AM
  Forest Hill Society AGM - Upcoming on October 13th clausy 1 2,955 13-10-2021 03:31 PM
  Forest Hill Society - Walk Through History starman 0 2,759 22-01-2020 11:01 AM
Last Post: starman
  Forest Hill Society AGM and ULEZ Explained - 17th October 2019 michael 2 4,064 18-10-2019 09:40 AM
Last Post: starman
  Forest Hill Society Meet Up michael 1 3,793 02-10-2019 10:58 AM
  Forest Hill Society AGM - Monday, 1st October 2018 michael 0 3,518 02-09-2018 01:03 PM
  Forest Hill Society gardening - help needed quetta 0 3,173 24-04-2018 04:15 PM
Last Post: quetta
  Forest Hill Society AGM michael 0 2,874 07-10-2016 01:19 PM
  Forest Hill Society Pub Crawl - Thursday 26th November michael 1 4,608 26-11-2015 06:35 PM
  Forest Hill Society AGM Thursday 22nd October 2015 michael 0 3,535 21-10-2015 02:51 PM
  Forest Hill Society AGM michael 21 27,480 22-10-2014 09:54 AM
  Visit the Olympic Park with the Forest Hill Society michael 0 3,894 19-06-2014 02:29 PM
  Nice article from the Forest Hill Society admin 0 3,929 22-03-2014 08:25 AM
  Forest Hill Society - General Meeting / Social michael 0 3,605 22-06-2012 07:55 AM
  Forest Hill Society Meet & Greet, 23rd November alisa 1 5,147 22-11-2011 10:17 PM
Last Post: alisa
  Forest Hill Society AGM - 6 Oct 2011 michael 6 10,218 09-10-2011 06:45 PM