SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (5): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next > Last »
Bakerloo Line Extension
michael

31-07-2014 10:41 AM

Completely agree ambient.

The routes do provide the interesting prospect of interchange at Brockley and at New Cross Gate, so that we will have one change to all of South East London.

Sometimes the easier developments, like Bakerloo have a habit of being realised slightly faster than other projects, like an airport on the Isle of Grain. I could imagine that one branch could be partially built and then extended. However, a lot of the costs would be in the first section beyond E&C.

The orbital routes are also interesting but likely to be seriously expensive. But the plan does also include the take over of most metro services by TfL in the next 10 years - essentially turning our line, South Bermondsey line, and a few others into Overground managed routes.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ambient
No longer registered

31-07-2014 11:39 AM

Take your point michael about the "easier" developments, and i'm not all doom and gloom about it anyway, anything is better than nothing.

But, we're already seeing that the lifetime of an "easier" development (such as the ELL) before you have to do something else with it because of capacity problems is less than 5 years. Sure, we're going to 5 cars later this year, and the report talks about 6, but that requires significant re-engineering work. It's the whole thing about incremental improvement to something that actually exists rather a big-bang project that never gets built and there is no easy answer to that.

But with those population figures (possible 13 million plus by 2050!?!?!), it would be nice if SE London was treated the same as the rest for once and tunnelled out to at least Zone 3 or 4. I'm not even arguing that it should come to FH either...pretty much anywhere in SE London will be useful to us if the interchanges are done right.

Not that it really matters anyway, in 2040 I seriously doubt i'll be around to use it anyway :-) Oh well !

Mr_Numbers

02-08-2014 07:17 AM

If these plans go ahead they should rename it the "BakerLew" line Laugh

Lord Kennedy

05-08-2014 07:31 PM

I am delighted that the extension of the Bakerloo line south from the Elephant and Castle is being talked about again and that the Mayor of London, along with Southwark, Lewisham and Bromley Councils welcome the proposal.

We must though campaign to ensure this long awaited line is delivered sooner rather than later in the Mayor's infrastructure plan. I do have a slight worry that if we are not careful developments in East London rather than South East London will get off the drawing board first.

We have to get this proposal from a welcome aspiration onto the drawing board as quickly as possible. This is the next stage in delivering this much needed extension.

michael

06-08-2014 12:57 PM

It would certainly be good to see this Bakerloo extension happen as soon as possible, although it is highly unlikely to start work before 2020.

What I hope that the council, TfL, and GLA will consider is whether this is the right infrastructure project for South East London. It appears that it will use a number of existing surface lines rather than taking a new route(s) underground beyond Camberwell and New Cross.

The routes themselves are not too bad, although I think we need to see what is happening with the Crystal Palace before ruling out a route from Peckham to Beckenham via East Dulwich, rather than via Brockley.

One question I would ask is whether there will be any trains through Crofton Park if this extension uses the existing railway between Peckham and Lewisham. Is there capacity on the track between Peckham Rye and Nunhead to take the bakerloo line (possibly 12 to 18 trains per hour) and also the 4 trains per hour through Crofton Park?
The map provided may not be entirely clear on the matter but it might indicate that Crofton Park trains would not go north of Nunhead. I doubt that this line would survive very long as a service that terminates at Nunhead (I certainly doubt that Crofton Park would get an increase of 4 tph if this were to happen).

Can anybody confirm the future of Crofton Park trains based on the planned Bakerloo line routes?

Personally I'll support any plans to bring Bakerloo line to South East London, but I would prefer tunnels to go further out and leave existing surface rail capacity as it is.

michael

18-09-2014 10:38 AM

Tessa Jowell and Chuka Umunna want the Bakerloo line to go to 'South West London':

Quote:
In a letter to the Mayor, Ms Jowell and Mr Umunna wrote: “We were alarmed to learn that only the option of extending the Bakerloo line south-east is being considered as part of the consultation regarding a future extension of the line. At the very least, we ask that you please allow a question to be included in the consultation which specifically asks those responding whether they would prefer a south-west London option.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/bo...40325.html

Novels

18-09-2014 03:16 PM

It would appear that we in SE London are too old to be travelling on the Bakerloo Line...

Sherwood

19-09-2014 09:13 AM

This is ridiculous. The south-west already have underground lines. The south-east mostly only has mainline trains.

Poppy9560

19-09-2014 10:34 AM

to be fair they are talking about Camberwell, Herne Hill and Streatham which do not have underground. Why can't the Bakerloo do both routes?

michael

19-09-2014 11:09 AM

Camberwell, Herne Hill, Streatham - sounds like an excellent route for the Northern Line branch line from Kennington. Unfortunately this has been hijacked by people further west (Nine Elms).

The Thameslink enhancements will provide improved services to Herne Hill and Streatham (at the expense of any possible connections via Crofton Park or other routes to South Eat London and Kent).

There is also the Crossrail 2 project which is likely to go to Tooting (which already has the Northern Line) and is only 1.5 miles from the centre of Streatham.

As the article says, Boris is focused on taking the Bakerloo line to areas with greatest potential for development/investment (i.e. Old Kent Road and Catford). Of course there is a hope that by 2040 most of this development will have already taken place anyway.

My priority for the Bakerloo line is increasing connectivity and radial connections to central London, taking some of the strain off existing rail routes in South East London. This could be done by a variety of routes heading for Crystal Palace, Beckenham or Bromley.

JQH

21-09-2014 02:13 PM

I suppose they're just proposing using current lines because it will be cheaper than digging new tunnels.

Sherwood

29-09-2014 10:00 AM

I suspect that they wish to divert our local trains in order to use the central London rail capacity for more long-distance trains.

Novels

30-09-2014 08:53 AM

Did you hear Boris' announcement this morning on BBC London news regarding the Bakerloo Line?
I did but I am not very good at reporting.
Anyway, it sound like a step forward in the right direction.

Chipcity

30-09-2014 09:00 AM

Copied from the BBC website today:-

Bakerloo Line extension consultation begins
Bakerloo Line extension map
A public consultation has begun into plans to extend the Bakerloo Line.

The proposals would see the London Underground line go south from Elephant & Castle to Lewisham and Hayes and possibly as far as Bromley.

It would cost up to £3bn, but London Mayor Boris Johnson says it is vital to help south London grow as the population continues to rise.

There are two potential routes, one via the Old Kent Road and the other via Camberwell and Peckham.

The scheme has no funding in place but if it is given the go-ahead then work on the extension would start in 2023 and finish during the 2030s.

The Labour Group on the London Assembly has welcomed the plans, but called for the mayor to commit funding to the project and to deliver it sooner than currently proposed.

This post was last modified: 30-09-2014 09:00 AM by Chipcity.

Sherwood

30-09-2014 09:57 AM

Catford Bridge would lose its existing mainline railway link.

MightyMouse

30-09-2014 12:55 PM

I got quite excited about the huge improvement to my commute, then realised in 2030 I won't be living or working where I do now.

I'll also probably be dead of Ebola...

Novels

30-09-2014 03:49 PM

I'll have two cars and I won't need to work anymore

SeanThomas

01-10-2014 02:19 PM

Did we all get sent the consultation email today?

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/tube/ba...-extension

Hope this work doesn't overlap with the London Bridge development or else I might have to start walking to walk...

michael

02-12-2014 01:44 PM

Consultation responses need to be in by the end of this week.
Please make sure you share your views with TfL and encourage the tube to travel into South East London.

Sherwood

11-01-2015 01:51 PM

One advantage of this extension could be separation from the disruption at London Bridge.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Northern Line Extension to Battersea Sherwood 1 3,817 05-12-2013 01:38 PM
Last Post: michael
  Bakerloo Line Extension? PVP 7 11,200 19-01-2012 09:40 AM
Last Post: lacb