SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (15): « First < Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Next > Last »
Horniman Museum and Gardens
michael

11-07-2008 08:22 PM

I think they have heard some of this feedback but we will find out more in the next couple of weeks. I have been invited to view the revised master plan next week and will try to report back here or on the FH Society website shortly after. But it is good to have your views above, which I believe are shared by many other people, especially those who use the footpath between London Road and Westwood Park on a regular basis. Personally I have never thought it looked particularly safe (not that I am aware of any incidents there) - opening it up in the right way may improve this right of way.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
scipio

12-07-2008 08:39 AM

Thanks for that, Michael. I look forward to learning more about their revised masterplan.
Concern No 2 - The restricted audience invited to share their vision for the future of a major venue hosted by the community of Forest Hill. Yes, they inviited input at an earlier stage but is it not a case of they hear but do not listen when locals express alternative views they don't like?

michael

16-07-2008 10:27 PM

A few notes from this evening's view of the revised plans.

The plans have been split into two phases with the second phase not expected to included in the Heritage Lottery Fund bid. The second phase includes most of the plans at the bottom of the park; opening up the nature trail, integrating the pathway to Westwood Park, the wetland area, and the flat kick-about area. So none of this is likely to happen to start.

- What is included is a new educational building, which has been moved to the edge of the park, partially on the area that has the animal enclosure.
- The animal enclosure would have a path running through it so that you can see the animals better.
- A new 'musical play' area would be created where the composting is currently located (to the south of the bandstand).
- The sunken garden and the area south of it (currently the African garden) would remain open during park opening hours - not limited to museum opening hours as had previously been proposed.
- There appear to be plans to turn the African garden into something resembling allotments.
- There would be a fountain or water feature in the centre of the the sunken garden
- Refurbishment of the toilets, Dutch barn and bandstand

It is not perfect, but there are some good plans. It is a shame that phase two will be left until later, but it does avoid some of the criticisms made by Scipio, at least for a few years.

Applespider

14-10-2008 11:19 PM

I ran a half marathon at the weekend - my first and probably only - for the Horniman as my favourite local charity. It was the hottest October day for years which made it pretty tough - not to mention Hyde Park having more hills than I recall!

Unfortunately, it took until after the event for the Horniman to get up and running (ha ha!) on the justgiving website but if any of you would like to make a donation to the Horniman and make the large painful blister on one foot and missing toenail on the other feel more worthwhile, you can do so here! Thanks in advance to any who do!

nevermodern

16-04-2009 04:33 PM

The Horniman is to receive a National Lottery grant:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7998886.stm

Smile

brian

16-04-2009 05:01 PM

This is great news. The gardens are a gem in SE23

michael

16-04-2009 05:24 PM

Well done Horniman Thumbsup

Rikke

15-06-2009 11:31 AM

The local SE London slingmeet group is meeting at the Horniman on Tue 23rd June from 1pm onwards, and is for everyone who is interested in trying on a sling, or want advice on how to use the sling you already have, or who would just like to meet other local parents who carry their babies and toddlers. Buggies and prams of course welcome, as indeed are dads and children of all ages!

We're an informal group of local mums who carry our babies in slings (hence the term babywearing) and we provide help and advice to others who

*want to use a sling, but dont know what type to get
*have used a sling or babycarrier, but gave up as it was uncomfortable
*want help with breastfeeding in a sling
*have a newborn and struggle with the sling/babycarrier you have bought

and lots of other sling and baby related issues.

There will be different types of slings (wraps, ringslings, soft structured carriers, Mei Tais etc) available to try, as we all bring our own. So this is just for trying out a sling and finding out more, you cant buy any slings at a slingmeet.

Using the right sling correctly will enable you to carry you baby in comfort till he/she is 35-40lbs, and slings can be so stylish! Its definitely the way to go for urban mums who struggle getting on public transport with a pram or pushchair, or navigating shops and cafes.

The slingmeet group will be in the Horniman cafe or the conservatory from 1pm onwards. If the weather is nice we might sit outside.

If there is a particular type of sling you would like to try or need help with, please let me know via this forum and I will see if someone can bring that type of sling to the meet for you to try.

Please do come along and see what its all about.

PVP

16-06-2009 10:58 AM

For a moment I had visions of David and Goliath.

Alas no.

michael

15-07-2009 04:33 PM

On Sunday 19th July the Horniman's award-winning gardens will play host to a variety of dancers, musicians, arts, crafts and food from across the globe as Fusion Fest kicks off the Horniman?s summer events season.

From 1-6pm, come and join in the fun with live music, amazing food and world-inspired shopping, all in the beautiful surroundings of the Horniman Gardens!

Music - Listen to the best of music from around the world brought to you live in the Horniman Gardens! Featuring

* Algerian DJ Abdelkader Saadoon accompanied by African percussionist Ayon
* Polish Folk group Dunajska Kapelya
* Sitarist Baluji Shrivastav and Jazz Orient, celebrating jazz, eastern European, Middle Eastern and Indian music
* Reggae-pop masters We Be Jammin'

Art - Get arty and make your own fantastic artwork

Dance - Try out dance from India, Africa and Latin American

Food - Enjoy food from across the globe, including India and the Caribbean

Shopping - Buy gifts from world inspired stalls

Part of the Horniman Live series of events

Admission free

http://www.horniman.ac.uk/events/fusion.php

michael

04-08-2009 08:16 PM

Jerk cookout is one of the biggest event in the local area and is happening this Sunday. Well worth coming along for a Caribbean style lunch.

Date: Sun 9 August
Times: 1 - 6pm
Venue: Gardens
Come to the biggest and best Jerk Cookout competition live from the Horniman Gardens. Relax in our award-winning green oasis, listen to sizzling live music, sample the finest Jerk in south London from the many stalls competing, and buy fantastic gifts.
http://www.horniman.ac.uk/events/jerk_fesitval.php

Look out for the Forest Hill Society stall and say hello.

gingernuts

06-08-2009 12:02 PM

Personally I think this event is getting too big for Horniman Gardens and would be better served at Peckham Rye which has both the space for both people and parking.

gingernuts

06-08-2009 12:04 PM

From the webiste - I quote

"Please Use Public Transport
This is a very popular event and there is limited parking in the local area. Please do not park on private roads."

So where exactly are people going to park!!!

Red67

06-08-2009 06:18 PM

Gingernuts, i totally agree about relocating the event. It is a great day out for a huge number of people but unfortunately it can be pretty miserable for those of us living in the immediate vicinity of the museum with respect to parking and sheer numbers of people. To clarify your point, the website request from the Horniman was instituted after repeated reports of concerns from local residents associations regarding parking (and the abusive behaviour towards residents of some drivers when challenged) on the private roads off Sydenham Rise (and also Sydenham Hill Estate) - a particular problem during the big Museum events. On the private roads off Sydenham Rise we all pay a yearly service charge to Dulwich Estate to maintain the service roads and the communal areas; the roads also serve as access for emergency vehicles and as such need to be kept clear - i think if you were paying for something such as a private road, you might get a bit narked if it was just being used as a public car park, with people turning (often in driveways) all day long, wouldn't you? Of course people can park on the public highway (Sydenham Rise itself) but it is only respectful and polite NOT to park on the private roads - unfortunately there are a lot of people who choose to behave otherwise.
I'm all for such events where people can enjoy the area and have fun, but you are right, it's getting too big now, and i think a move to a bigger park with better access and infrastructure could only be a good thing for the event itself and those of us living around the museum.....

gingernuts

06-08-2009 06:34 PM

The problem is, if it's Hornimans that organise it, they couldnt exactly do it elsewhere. I thought it might be a separate organisation that arrange this? How would we get it moved to a more appropriate location I wonder?

nevermodern

06-08-2009 07:16 PM

Not sure this is a particularly good plan: we're supposed to be encouraging people to come and spend money and time in Forest Hill, not getting rid of the things that make them come here.

It's one day a year. Can't you live with it?

shzl400

06-08-2009 07:46 PM

Spot on, nevermodern!

psyche9

07-08-2009 06:12 AM

They could reconstruct the seven wonders of the ancient world in Lewisham and the first response would be ' there'll be no-where for anyone to park'.
PS: I am sympathetic to people who live near 'attractions' (I live by a sports ground) so this isn't personally meant - more of a general observation.

michael

07-08-2009 09:00 AM

According to Facebook the Walrus is having its annual bath today!

Horniman is on Facebook and Twitter and there is a special group on Facebook for Horniman Walrus Love.

Cellar Door

07-08-2009 10:57 AM

red67 wrote:
...but it is only respectful and polite NOT to park on the private roads - unfortunately there are a lot of people who choose to behave otherwise.

Maybe that's why it's called a Jerk Festival?

Pages (15): « First < Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Horniman Museum to open until 9pm once a month rbmartin 0 655 25-03-2024 07:36 PM
Last Post: rbmartin
  Car Crashed through fence in Horniman gardens nottinghillbilly 2 2,187 19-04-2023 05:55 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Horniman Gardens on BBC Gardeners' World StuartG 0 2,484 07-08-2022 12:28 PM
Last Post: StuartG
  The Original Jerk Cookout @ The Horniman Gardens 31st July 2021 samuelsen 0 2,784 17-06-2021 06:05 PM
  Feedback on the Horniman ideas for the future of the Museum and Gardens HornimanMuseum 12 9,800 30-07-2019 03:42 PM
  Arts Award Summer School for Young People at the Horniman Museum HornimanMuseum 0 3,939 23-07-2018 03:20 PM
Last Post: HornimanMuseum
  Florence and the Machine and the roof of the Horniman Museum michael 1 4,846 01-07-2018 05:20 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Horniman Museum review in The Guardian website BigED 0 3,449 28-06-2018 12:49 PM
Last Post: BigED
  Farmers' market in the Horniman Gardens isaglanzer 218 180,678 18-09-2014 04:17 PM
Last Post: michael
  Horniman Gardens works roz 32 36,198 06-08-2013 01:43 PM
  Horniman Museum & Popup Butchers on Londonist Out Loud RussB 0 4,164 07-12-2012 09:07 PM
Last Post: RussB
  Library at the Horniman Museum orange 11 11,809 22-03-2012 05:15 PM
Last Post: orange
  1934 Horniman Museum poster ruthb 2 7,046 18-10-2011 10:47 AM
Last Post: ruthb
  Any Film Of Horniman Museum? yomster 0 3,927 11-08-2011 12:10 PM
Last Post: yomster
  Horniman Museum Funding SpringCat 27 30,503 18-11-2010 03:55 PM
  Horniman Museum Entrance Closed Thistleblower 2 5,619 21-07-2010 06:08 PM
Last Post: Les
  Should the Jerk Cookout be at Horniman Gardens? admin 4 8,772 17-08-2009 01:21 PM
Last Post: roz
  Picnic in Horniman Gardens - Sunday, June 7th michael 6 11,593 07-06-2009 05:00 PM
Last Post: robwinton