SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
New Sainsburys, 55-59 Honor Oak Park
Mattya

14-06-2012 10:57 PM

I think what will probably happen is that some Honour Oak residents quite natrually will push back on the proposals but hopefully the planning process can iron out these concerns so that those other residents that want a supermarket can get one. I do not know enough about the planning process to know whether "the issues" (whatever they are) can be addressed by repeatedly rejecting all proposals put forward or whether these can be resolved through consultation - I think the term is called "planning gain" or something?

Rather than repeated rejections it might be better to approach this along the lines of what might be regarded as an acceptable proposal, so the whole thing is not left in limbo for ages. Voicing outright objections (or even approvals if they ignore people's concerns) are likely to be counter-productive and polarise the debate (I can just envisage the planning officer at the next meeting, thinking "here we go again...."). We owe this to the vast silent majority of Honour Oak who clearly are not really that engaged in the planning process or read this forum. So, what are the concerns exactly? I do not think that opposition to huge conglomerates or "change" in general are really going to be "deal breakers" as far as the planning is concerned, so someone who really cares about Honour Oak needs to carefully set out exactly what it is they are against, otherwise no-one will listen to them.

Hampstead village has a Tesco's local and despite the local uproar, it is thriving (and causes traffic chaos, especially with the bus route when deliveries are being made). The reason I mention this is because if Hampstead can't block it we probably can't block a Sainsburys local in Honour Oak.

Also, if the empty shops are up for rental then surely those landlords are losing out big time and need to revise the price they have on offer? Or are they waiting for the Sainsbury's to be built, hoping that some other businesses are attracted to the area (that in itself is a gamble)? The high rents certainly explain the asronomical prices in the deli? Anyway, I am sure the landlords will do what's best for them and not for us, so where is the debate on the landlords offering a fair rent? Or the impact leaving this application in limbo will have to the row of shops as a result of the stance the landlords are taking?!

When I lived off Balham High Road a Tesco's local petrol station certainly did no harm to local grocers who seemed to thrive in conjunction with it. That said, the food on offer in those grocers was far better than what is currently up for grabs along Honour Oak Park! And the price wasn't too bad. I wonder why?!

One concern I will make direct to Sainsbury's (if I get time) is making it very loud and clear to Sainsbury's that they should run the HO branch more like their Forest Hill branch and less like their Sydenham megastore. I simply walked round in awe whilst in the Sydenham Sainsburys, looking at the complete waste of retail space that was being presented in front of me. What that place needs is an enema!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Planning Application: IndoBangla / Honor Oak Tandoori site - Mattya - 14-06-2012 10:57 PM
[] - Calm1 - 30-07-2013, 12:51 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pearcefield Car Park (Sainsburys) changes Herbparis 0 3,785 23-03-2020 02:34 PM
Last Post: Herbparis
  Sainsburys in HOP using cycle racks as a trolley park whitecloud 7 9,801 04-11-2014 03:36 PM
Last Post: Londondrz
  Anyone in Sainsburys/Pearcefield road car park this morning (Friday 23rd Dec)? ladywotlunches 3 6,971 23-12-2011 07:32 PM
Last Post: rshdunlop
  Parking machine in Sainsburys car park. Wilson 8 11,177 10-12-2011 09:31 AM
Last Post: shzl400
  'Incident' at Sainsburys Car Park. roz 11 15,732 20-12-2007 10:28 PM
Last Post: Sherwood