SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
New Sainsburys, 55-59 Honor Oak Park
lacb

14-06-2012 12:46 PM

HOPcat,

I think everyone welcomes quality local independents like Jumping Bean and Neroli. I think it is instructive that their business is in no way threatened by an emerging Sainsburys Local - which can hardly be called a quite large supermarket BTW. If their business are to be affected at all, it is only likely to be positive.

Yes, some existing businesses will, if things stay largely as they are, be impacted by the arrival of Sainsburys. But consider this - if the shop you describe, and we all wish for, already existed, would you consider the arrival of Sainsburys to be a threat to it or a boon? I, for one, would continue to shop at the independent - both it and the the supermarket can coexist if they are well run.

I would argue that the only reason any businesses could be adversely affected is if they are either not supplying what the local market, ie customers, really want or they are not doing so in an efficient manner. As it happens, I think that at least 2 businesses that some would consider threatened are in an ideal position to capitalise on this development if they are only prepared to develop their business model.

As for the lease rates issue, these are already going up anyway and will do so owing to factors quite outside of Sainsburys coming or not, e.g. changes to the local demographic. Also, it is quite interesting to note the existing businesses that have a competitive advantage by owning the freehold!

I am sorry if there are people worried about the nuisance of living above a shop, but am a little suspect that anyone should expect that to be a quiet location anyway. (No I don't live above a shop now but yes I have done in the past.)

Am very glad that these issues are being aired and debated - sincere thanks for that.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Planning Application: IndoBangla / Honor Oak Tandoori site - lacb - 14-06-2012 12:46 PM
[] - Calm1 - 30-07-2013, 12:51 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pearcefield Car Park (Sainsburys) changes Herbparis 0 3,783 23-03-2020 02:34 PM
Last Post: Herbparis
  Sainsburys in HOP using cycle racks as a trolley park whitecloud 7 9,801 04-11-2014 03:36 PM
Last Post: Londondrz
  Anyone in Sainsburys/Pearcefield road car park this morning (Friday 23rd Dec)? ladywotlunches 3 6,969 23-12-2011 07:32 PM
Last Post: rshdunlop
  Parking machine in Sainsburys car park. Wilson 8 11,176 10-12-2011 09:31 AM
Last Post: shzl400
  'Incident' at Sainsburys Car Park. roz 11 15,729 20-12-2007 10:28 PM
Last Post: Sherwood