SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (18): « First < Previous 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 Next > Last »
New Sainsburys, 55-59 Honor Oak Park
michael

23-08-2012 08:00 AM

The officers are recommending granting planning permission although the decision will be made by the elected councillors on 30th August.

The report from officers can be read at http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/d...20Park.pdf

Quote:
8.0 Conclusion

8.1 Whilst it is accepted that many residents and shopkeepers object to the principle of an enlarged shop that may be occupied by Sainsbury’s, as addressed earlier in this report, officers cannot recommend a refusal on these grounds as retail is a permitted form of use that does not require planning consent.

8.2 Officers have undertaken a thorough assessment of the Service and Delivery Plan submitted by the applicant, and have visited the immediate area on several occasions to observe parking patterns during the day. It is acknowledged that parking levels to neighbouring residential streets are high, however there are short term on-street parking opportunities to the corners of those roads and Honor Oak Park. The applicant has also suggested the provision of secure cycle spaces to the front of the shop.

8.3 An existing loading bay is positioned close to the shop, and can accommodate an 11 metre long delivery vehicle. Due to the size of the shop, the larger deliveries would take between 30-40 minutes, which would include taking away refuse waste. Other deliveries should take no more than 10 minutes.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
daveherne

23-08-2012 10:06 AM

good stuff. nice that there will be bike racks.

edpaff

23-08-2012 10:24 AM

Fingers crossed that this doesn't go the other way at the committee meeting. The Councillor that chaired the consultation session certainly seemed to be biased against the proposals!

BarCar

23-08-2012 10:40 AM

I like that the planners make clear in their report what is and isn't a planning issue. Some may not like Sainsbury's or the change of use from restaurant to retail but the report highlights that this is not relevant under planning law.

To draw a parallel with Domino's... many objected to their application on the fact that we didn't like Domino's but it came down to planning law and the appropriateness of the requested change of use and delivery plans.

So any bias one way or the other in the mind of councillors, the planning committee or planning officers should, in theory, be irrelevant.

Reading the report gives me a new found respect for the work of the planners. It's a thankless task I'm sure and I've no idea how they keep all this policy information in their minds.

daveherne

23-08-2012 10:42 AM

I agree, there seems to be a vast amount for planners to consider to produce a report such as this. As far as I can see in the report there are no open questions or grounds for refusal at the meeting.

Bcm

23-08-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:
So any bias one way or the other in the mind of councillors, the planning committee or planning officers should, in theory, be irrelevant.

Exactly; a point I made at the community consultation meeting. People who really want to object need to be constructive, read up on actual planning issues and present these in a manner consistent with a formal objection or it simply won’t hold any water. Ranting at the council members about Sainsbury’s being an objectionable and evil multinational entity (as one chap did for about 20 minutes) is just a waste of everyone's time. Smile

Cheeky

24-08-2012 10:19 AM

Shh Bcm, don't give the objectors any good ideas!!!! Smile

danieljon

24-08-2012 10:57 AM

I hope that the Sainsbury's bid is successful - I think we need to move with the times and accept this is 2012. I have lived here since 1998 and am fed up of having to forward-plan my evening meals at work and buy my dinner in town because I know that once I step off the train at HOP I am faced with tins, packets or frozen meals from the frankly less than adequate local stores.
To be able to buy fresh fruit, vegetables, bread and some decent meat/fish without having to treck all the way to Budgens and back will be a delight finally!

I for one vote YES YES YES!

HOPcat

30-08-2012 11:44 AM

Cheeky, you say that almost half the premises are empty on the Honor Oak Park shopping parade? Huh? When did you last walk down it? Yes, the Whitewood Shop, the Tandoori restaurant, the Old Bank and Linda's pet shop are currently vacant. But, we have the cycle shop, the florist, Hopscotch cafe, Barbaros the hairdressers, Gogi's Off-licence, several mini-supermarkets, the fish and chip shop, the Golden Tiger Chinese takeaway, pizza takeaway, dry-cleaners, art gallery, newsagent, delicatessen, estate agents, tapas bar (refurbished), funeral parlour, dental lab, Jumping Bean gift shop and Neroli beauty shop. That's quite a diverse spread. We need fresh meat and fish on the parade, and if a major player like Sainsbury's would support a really small, in-scale unit opening late and selling these along with some fruit, veg, cheese, good tea and coffee - like a grocers shop - it could bring a lot of people in but keep our existing traders. If this big local goes through, carrying a big range of lines, I would worry that besides the loss of sales, shop rental prices will rise dramatically and force existing small traders out. A lot of this is covered in principle by the London Plan, to which our council signed up in July 2011.

Tersie

30-08-2012 11:59 AM

Well the waiting game will be over as the decision is being made tonight. Is anyone going along to the meeting?

mrcee

30-08-2012 02:14 PM

Why is Stone Bar always missed off lists of shops on HOP parade? its very strange http://londonist.com/2011/03/hand-drawn-...k-park.php

They do decent food and is a decent bar however always seems forgotten

daveherne

30-08-2012 02:17 PM

For me the discussion is over, the decision will go for Sainsbury's. The objections have been dealt with.

The shops will adapt to sell what Sainsbury's won't. Sainsbury's is quite limited, it does not carry a lot of stuff I want to buy from spices through to decent bread and meat. They will benefit from extra people passing by after buying the basics at Sainsbury's.

It's all going to work out well for HOP.

Lets start discussing real issues like the other empty shops.

michael

30-08-2012 02:34 PM

I'm planning (if you'll excuse the pun) to go along to this evening's meeting to listen to the decision and report back.

michael

30-08-2012 08:19 PM

The verdict is in from the planning committee and the decision is to approve the planning application.

Codrington Brill

30-08-2012 08:32 PM

Nice one!

star

30-08-2012 09:18 PM

Fantastic news. Thank you for reporting back.

jaykayla

30-08-2012 10:13 PM

Brilliant news. Any ideas on when it will be open for business? Given the extent of the planned works, probably not until next year some time?

Tersie

31-08-2012 07:14 AM

Thanks Michael, Overall i think it will be good for the parade in terms of footfall. It is up to all of us to support the other businesses on the parade - hopefully they will diversify and offer something different.

squashst

31-08-2012 07:36 AM

On balance, good news. A small Sainsbury really won't offer a huge range of fresh meat/chicken (and it won't be Hills/Parkes quality!) but it will be consistent. Other parades live with small Tesco/Sainsbury outlets (think Tesco/Kirkdale and even Penge), so will HoP. And if it has a free to use ATM all the better.

Cheeky

01-09-2012 10:19 AM

YEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! Rofl

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pearcefield Car Park (Sainsburys) changes Herbparis 0 3,794 23-03-2020 02:34 PM
Last Post: Herbparis
  Sainsburys in HOP using cycle racks as a trolley park whitecloud 7 9,835 04-11-2014 03:36 PM
Last Post: Londondrz
  Anyone in Sainsburys/Pearcefield road car park this morning (Friday 23rd Dec)? ladywotlunches 3 6,984 23-12-2011 07:32 PM
Last Post: rshdunlop
  Parking machine in Sainsburys car park. Wilson 8 11,189 10-12-2011 09:31 AM
Last Post: shzl400
  'Incident' at Sainsburys Car Park. roz 11 15,738 20-12-2007 10:28 PM
Last Post: Sherwood