SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (18): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
New Sainsburys, 55-59 Honor Oak Park
scully

22-01-2012 09:05 PM

There is a planning application for the above site if people are interested. Retail unit presumably a supermarket plus five flats are planned.

http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/LEWIS-XSL...mkey=65150

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Southlonder

22-01-2012 09:54 PM

well spotted and very interesting. The HOP supermarket were pretty sure that Sainsbury's were not in fact looking to take that slot after all (much to their relief), although that was approx 6 months ago, so I don't know if things have changed?

Personally I think we need a better stocked local

Cheeky

23-01-2012 08:37 AM

Of course we need a better stocked local!!!

Fingers crossed Sainsburys or Tesco will still take it on, but without a double fronted shop I fear we have lost another great opportunity (I do still cling on to the slim chance The Old Bank will become a decent pub) to inject a bit more life into our 'potentially' excellent High Street.

Tersie

23-01-2012 10:13 AM

Yes this is very interesting. I have spoken to the architect working on this project and he is speaking to the developer today and will feed back to me as to the long term plans for the site. Yes, it looks like the A1 site will indeed be let to one of the larger supermarket as a local operation. Will keep you posted as and when I find out more!

Cheeky

23-01-2012 10:46 AM

Ahhh, I was looking at the plans wrong. It is double fronted and also makes use of the strange artifact shop next door too, and extends further into the back.

Excellent news in my opinion

BarCar

23-01-2012 11:42 AM

This is the same applicant (Cantel Investments) who has taken on the St Cyprian's Hall in Brockley: http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/LEWIS-XSL...mkey=60562

They seem to have taken a sensitive approach there so fingers crossed.

hoona

23-01-2012 11:55 AM

I personally - and perhaps controversially - would be in favour of a small co-op or sainsbury's local. It would bring more footfall to the parade, which would, in turn aid the other small local businesses. The co-op in forest hill road exists alongside a newsagent, post office, diy store and the turkish grocers further up the road. Not to mention the small shops that exist happily alongside the co-op in crofton park.
I get fed up with walking to that co-op or the one in crofton park when I run out of something too!
Keep us posted, Tersie!

danieljon

23-01-2012 04:37 PM

I have to agree - am hoping for a better small supermarket.... I'm sorry but Brockley Supermarket has needed to up its game for years to complete with Jay's Budgens in terms of decent fresh fruit/veg that somewhere like a Tesco/Sainsburys is sure to deliver.

Tinkerbell

23-01-2012 05:51 PM

I say let's have the very first Fortnum & Mason Metro Micromarket (the FMMM) right here in HOP. Wow

This post was last modified: 23-01-2012 05:52 PM by Tinkerbell.

Southlonder

23-01-2012 06:19 PM

If you look at the proposed new front elevation it shows two anti ram bollards. That is obviously for a cash machine so it must be a proper chain moving in! Woohoo!

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

23-01-2012 09:14 PM

The specified windows and doors match the standard for the majority of Sainsburys Locals

Tersie

24-01-2012 11:32 AM

All in all a well stocked supermarket of this size will bring more footfall to the parade, which will be a positive thing.....nothing has been confirmed as yet but given this article I have found it could be a Sainsbury's local, they seem to be outperforming all the others supermarkets at the moment, are buying out some co-op shops and have a good investment strategy.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/686659-sains...sales-rise

stefan

24-01-2012 12:05 PM

I have seen the arrival of a Sainsburys local in West London and within 3 month a couple of local shops in the parade closed down. I probably would prefer a Sainburys local as well its just a shame that it is usually on the back of some other shops. I am a bit surprised by the positive outpoor after all the worry that Dominos might be a threat to other takeaways in the area

Tersie

24-01-2012 12:24 PM

A larger supermarket operation will bring a higher volume of footfall to the parade at different hours of the day which will enhance the majority of businesses. Dominos as an internet / phone business would not have done this at all, plus there is the issue of noise pollution from bikes and take away litter. Also having a free cash machine on the parade would make a difference too.

Indeed the Honor Oak Supermarket will be affected in particular but they have a loyal following too and many things they sell will be cheaper than a larger supermarket across the road. The same goes with the Off Licence. I will still be using my local store at the end of Gabriel Street, but having more choice is good. Sadly the other supermarket on HOP, Jeyrani has been up for sale for sometime - they have struggled from day one as they did not have a wide offering.

mrcee

24-01-2012 12:50 PM

this is a tricky one as I do believe that a supermarket will increase the footfall to the parade particularly for all the commuters to HOP station that head in the opposite direction.

Speaking from personal experience there are certain items that I want that i currently stop at an express in another area to buy on commute home therefore if others from outside of our local area apply the same behaviour we should see an increase of passing trade.

That said the local supermarkets will need to adapt/improve to survive and may need to distinguish there markets similar to Hills & Parkes by improving their shop fronts to make them more inviting to passers by, stocking a different range of products which complement the supermarket, targetting better quality produce or advertising the cost savings. None of which are easy to do but if they achieve one of them then it becomes less about survival and more about flourising. Most people want the convience of doing a complete shop in one location and if all the shops on HOP combined can provide that then its a good thing.

Pico
No longer registered

24-01-2012 11:32 PM

I'm really excited if it is a Sainsbury's local! It will do so much good for the area.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

25-01-2012 09:24 AM

I'm with Stefan on this and quite amused that there is a generally positive response to a big name supermarket opening on the parade after the Dominoes business.

Quote:
A larger supermarket operation will bring a higher volume of footfall to the parade at different hours of the day which will enhance the majority of businesses. Dominos as an internet / phone business would not have done this at all

Agreed...those extra people and the activity around providing a service for them will definitely add to the noise though...it wont go on as late but will start earlier (0700, earlier for staff activities) and go on through the day...and then there are the deliveries.

Quote:
plus there is the issue of noise pollution from bikes and take away litter.

noise...as above. litter...pretty sure you'll see an increase in that with a supermarket too...more so perhaps, especially given that most people were certain that Dominoes wouldn't have attracted much footfall.

How do people feel about deliveries? They will be way more frequent, noisy and (likely) in larger vehicles than you'd have experienced with Dominoes.

Sorry, playing Devil's Advocate a bit but I'm genuinely interested in the situation.

Pico
No longer registered

25-01-2012 09:38 AM

Meh, we did not need more pizza. We do need fresh fruit, veg, bread and the benefit of a receipt at the end of our shop. It always feels odd not getting a receipt from those mini supermarkets.

I think it is obvious a big brand supermarket will benefit the community.

dunc_30

25-01-2012 11:58 AM

Possibly an oversimplified reason for justification..
I tend to catch a train to Crofton Park from Central London every day because I can pop into Co-op and Budgens on way home. I live between Crofton Park and HOP so I'd think twice about taking this route in the future. A supermarket in HOP would also mean I'd frequent the Deli there more often too - so the high st would benefit a little ( I stress a little!). Now - what that actually could mean is that my spending would move to HOP and Crofton Park therefore loses out or rather they both get 50% of my business. is that a good thing? I don't know

Tersie

25-01-2012 12:09 PM

I see your point ifiwereabsolutelyfuming - it would be interesting to do a survey monkey poll on what people would prefer on the parade. My guess is that a new supermarket with a wide range of options will win hands down over a massive pizza delivery service any day. As would a new quality restaurant or bar on the Old Bank Site. I think the other supermarkets will diversify into other areas making HOP a one stop shop parade. This can only be a good thing, it gives us more choice. For me personally having access to a wider selection of veg and fresh meat when I need it - and a cash machine on the way to the station will be welcomed. Also it will make the parade feel safer nearer the station as more people will be around popping in and out of the shop.

Oh I also heard back from the architect working on this - if planning permission is approved this could be in place by xmas this year. People are free to contact Lewisham Planning to give the thumbs up or down on this.

Pages (18): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pearcefield Car Park (Sainsburys) changes Herbparis 0 3,637 23-03-2020 01:34 PM
Last Post: Herbparis
  Sainsburys in HOP using cycle racks as a trolley park whitecloud 7 9,468 04-11-2014 02:36 PM
Last Post: Londondrz
  Anyone in Sainsburys/Pearcefield road car park this morning (Friday 23rd Dec)? ladywotlunches 3 6,751 23-12-2011 06:32 PM
Last Post: rshdunlop
  Parking machine in Sainsburys car park. Wilson 8 10,692 10-12-2011 08:31 AM
Last Post: shzl400
  'Incident' at Sainsburys Car Park. roz 11 15,140 20-12-2007 09:28 PM
Last Post: Sherwood