SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Devonshire Road- vehicle damage
michael

27-01-2010 03:07 PM

No right turn into Devonshire is virtually turning it into a one way street, but that might be exactly the solution needed. I think the other problem is people turning right out of Devonshire Road which causes traffic to back up the road and cars in both directions need to squeeze past each other. But I don't think residents would like this restriction.

Of course lots of people would still perform right turns even if it were not allowed, just as they do into Wickes at Catford or left into Manor Mount (which is worse as it is a one way system).

My suspision is that there are a number of problems and each scheme only solves one at a time, until the road is blocked off (like roads around Honor Oak). There is the problem of the narrow width, there is a problem of speed, there is a problem of commuter parking, there is a problem of rat-running, there is the problem of traffic jams generated by use of Devonshire Road, and there is a problem with traffic jams through the centre of Forest Hill.

Solving the last of these problems would probably reduce all of the others but it is not easy to keep traffic moving on the South Circular and still allow local people to use local roads and allow pedestrians to cross the roads occasionally.

A CPZ would probably allow more passing points on the road, reduce commuter parking and therefore a slight reduction in traffic. It would need to continue up Woodcombe Crescent and to the bottom of Ewelme. (I used to use Woodcombe Crescent for commuter parking when I needed to drive somewhere before or after work and lived a lot further from the station, it was too much hassle looking for a spot closer to the station).

Now that David Road and Manor Mount have CPZs I expect people in Devonshire will want one, especially with the redevelopment of the Sorting Office (which could be forced to pay for the introduction of a CPZ as section 106 agreement - if that is what residents want). Unfortunately people in Taymount Rise, Church Rise, and South Road will not be allowed a say on this CPZ, they will have to wait for their own CPZ, when they get the extra commuter parking.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Devonshire Road- vehicle damage - roz - 14-11-2009, 01:35 PM
RE: Devonshire Road- vehicle damage - roz - 27-01-2010, 12:25 PM
RE: Devonshire Road- vehicle damage - michael - 27-01-2010 03:07 PM
RE: Devonshire Road- vehicle damage - roz - 18-05-2010, 08:09 AM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Further Damage to cars in Kemble Road Erekose 0 3,807 11-06-2013 05:38 PM
Last Post: Erekose
  Car damage on Herschell Road? mitchy117 0 3,087 30-04-2013 09:39 PM