SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Forest Hill School
Horniman

13-07-2011 01:46 PM

Does anyone remember Forest Hill School in the 1960s? I was there from 1965 to 1970, the headmaster was Mr Potter. My housemaster was Mr Brook. I remember Mr Francis, he was fond meting out corporal punishment, we called him Biff. Mr Pack (Maths) and Mrs Puck (French), Mr "Wally" Knight (English) etc.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

13-07-2011 02:09 PM

Yes

I was there before you from 60 to 66 but recall Wally Knight , Francis etc.

Mr Francis ruled Harvey with a rod of iron hence they won most sports events by fear.
I was in Drake. Mr Boone was House Master when I left.
Do you remember Mr Ashby ( old thunderguts ) .
Also terrible MaGoo buses that took us to Sidcup for sports . Made me feel sick .

Potter was HM from about 62 or 63.

Triangle

13-07-2011 02:43 PM

Yes. I was there during the same period. Potter was head, Stanbury was deputy head - and always off to the Galapogos Islands. He was a fan of Darwin I believe. Six houses then - I was also in Drake house, tutor group D2 with Ernie Hemmings - he taught woodwork. I had Knight for english - he demoted me at the end of the first year! But I worked hard and managed to promote myself back, much to his irritation. Also had the imposing Ashby for History. I can confirm that Pack came from Fairlawn Primary - because I was there too. For drama we had "Bunny" Howes - something to do with the teeth - and "Taff" Davies in the gym. Original building now gone.

Horniman

13-07-2011 03:02 PM

Interesting - seems like my story, I also knew Pack from Fairlawn - I was in Miss Boydon's class. I was also demoted by Wally Knight he was also furious with me for working myself back! I was in Browning. We had to sit in alphabetical order in Ashby's class. He was very strict, but I seem to remember he had a lot of respect. He left when I was in the 4th year to become Professor of Archaeology at East Anglia.

brian

13-07-2011 03:20 PM

Cannot remember which Drake number I was but Tutor Master was Mr Novotny , very nice man.

Who remembers Mr Nage , the maths teacher , who had escaped from Hungary in 56. Excellent at maths but hopeless at teaching it.

What abour Dr Wornham who was vicar at Christchurch and taught RI . Always remember his stories about the first Christmas of the Great War when he described the football match with a Saxon division.

Yes Taffy Davis. I hated Cross Country but he used to hide and hit anyone from Drake who was not running.

Mr Neat and pottery . One can go on and on...............

Triangle

14-07-2011 09:07 AM

Yes, most of the names ring bells - and the cross country running in the woods, off the Sidcup Bypass! I also recall a senior master called Dr Babcock who I think had a reputation for using the cane. The housemaster of Shackleton was Mr Haswell. Anyone remember the housemaster's for Browning, Newton & Reynolds during the same period?

Touching on Fairlawn - my last teacher there was Mr Thompson. A West country man who loved films and trains. He used to run an after school film club where he would hire films and charge us 6d at the door. We'd all pile in, sit cross legged on the classroom floor and watch the latest black & white film! I can still hear the whirling sound of the cine projector and the anticipation as the numbers counted down at the beginning of the film! He once took us all back to his house in Benson road - much to the surprise of his wife - and showed us his model railway! Happy days.

Horniman

14-07-2011 09:45 AM

Yes, I remember Mr Thompson. I remember a film he made "Mutiny at the County", whereby Fairlawn kids rose up against their teachers, Animal Farm style. Miss Skipper was the HM. Back to FHS, Mr Stroud, then Mr Brook were Browning housemasters, Mr Boone was Drake, Francis was Harvey, can't remember who it was for Newton, Mr Love was Reynolds and Mr Haswell was Shackleton. I was in Browning and my tutor master was Mr Stone, later Mr Tonkin. There was also a maths teacher called Mr Knight (not to be confused with Wally Knight) and for some unknown reason we used to call him "Doris". I also remember Bunny Howes - a very interesting man. I also remember Mr Sampson, an affable pipe-smoking chemistry teacher.

Dogman

27-10-2011 04:33 PM

I was at Forest Hill ( Harvey House) from 1967- 1971. I remember housemaster Mr Dawes, Mr Nage and Mr Smith my maths teacher. Sadly I can't remember the other names.
Classmates were Errol Grant,Billy Bridges and Russell Cork, but the old memory cells have now truly gone flat in trying to remember other names.
My older brother by 5yrs Gary Lane was also Harvey House.
Sadly I don't have any school photos from that period, so if any forum members can scan and email me any pictures I would appreciate it greatly. Glenn Lane (former Harvey House)

panmure

10-11-2011 05:16 PM

I've just found the forum and specifically about FHBS and it has brought back many memories of my time there from 1971 - 75. Reading some of the posts I well recall many of the teachers mentioned and it brings a wry smile I can tell you!

It's funny how thing go in circles as my daughter (now 25) had a cover teaching post at the school a year or so ago and invited me in to look around the new buildings. What really brought home to me on how much had changed was seeing the space where the old maths building, which I saw built, having now been replaced by an empty space and that the small biology pond that used to be next to it is long gone.

For info I was in Newton 6 and well remember enjoying having a dip in the pool during the summer month and it was cold!!!

Happy days!

RadaPere

08-12-2011 08:02 PM

Just came across this site by accident and started to look through it for any names that I recognised. I did go to Forest Hill Comprehensive - not sure of the exact years as I dont have me CV right in front of me. I do have a few memories/recollections though. I was in Reynold House (light blue flash on the blazer)if my memory serves me well I think the house master was Geoff Dolamore (something like that anyway. The school used to have an outdoor pursuits centre (an old school) in Aberllefenni near Corris - always enjoyed going there, especially the Slaters Arms in Corris. Nice Banks's beer from what I remember. Still go to that neck of the woods occasionally even though I no longer live in the UK. I remember initially having a maths teacher (with one arm - cant remember his name) - one of his amazing attributes was to lift a student in the air by the scruff of the neck if caught misbehaving or not paying attention in class. Later had a maths teacher (something to do with Newton house) who was fond of smoking and the odd gargle or two. Those where the days!!!! Fortunately I do not remember all the names of teachers, but that's probably not a bad idea given my recollections. Overall I think I had a good education there - certainly didn't do me any harm, though there were a few well known bullys at the school who did have a reputation for doing harm! Be interesting to see if anyone else has these kind of recollections. Remember having an English teacher who later went on to establish the Childrens Film Foundation. During our English classes we made two films: one based on a cross country run filmed near and around the schools sports ground on the Sidcup bypass, the other was made in Wales at the schools centre in Aberllefenni - Minus a Few was the title and unfortunately I remember some of the clothes that I wore during the film (at least I don't have them anymore - just the memories). Still it wasn't a bad way to spend English lessons - quite radical for the time.

GrahamAgnew

22-12-2011 10:56 AM

Those of you who attended Forest Hill School will almost certainly remember your visit to Aberllefenni, the school`s residential centre tucked away in the mountains of central Wales. Aber no longer belongs to the school but is now part of a locally based charity called Widehorizons, which looks after a number of residential centres traditionally used by students from South East London. Widehorizons is a charity focussed on the delivery of inspirational, high-quality outdoor learning experiences to children and young people.

Aber (or Bryn Coedwig, which means Forest Hill in Welsh) is in desperate need of some attention. The building is showing signs of fatigue and many, many years of wear and tear. Unless we do something now, the future of adventurous experiences for Forest Hill children at Aber will be under threat.

As Vice-Chair of Widehorizons and ex-Headteacher of Forest Hill School, I, along with former Head Peter Walsh, have formed the Aber Action Team to help bring the centre back to its former glories so that children can experience their adventure learning in a centre with good, quality accommodation and facilities.

We intend to spend a week at the centre from the 27th February 2012, painting, decorating and completing minor repairs. We have estimated that we need around £15,000 to fund our plans.

If you can help, donate now to ensure that thousands of children will get the adventure and outdoor learning opportunities in their lives that they deserve. For those that would like to jog their memories of Aber, there are some photos on the donation page too.

All donors will be kept up to date with the progress of the project and, of course, you'd be most welcome to visit!

Thank you in anticipation.

Peter Walsh
Graham Agnew (previous Headteachers of the school)

BillMcL

03-05-2012 10:48 AM

I was at Forest Hill School from 1965 until July 1967 when my family moved to Manchester. I remember it fondly and I also remember many of the staff and pupils. I was in Browning where Mr Stroud was the Housemaster. I remember having a great time at the House camp in Barmouth in 1966 - pony trekking, swimming and beachcombing. Other teachers I remember were Madame Turner (French and very attractive!), Mr Mathias (History) and Mr Boon, who organised the trip to Russia which I went on in July 1967. In fact when we returned to Euston Station in August I left straight for Manchester and never saw any of my classmates again. Some of them I remember well were John `Murray Mints' Murray, Swanny, David `Badger' Brock and many others whose names and nicknames have slipped my mind for the time being.

Triangle

04-05-2012 09:39 AM

Bill, most of the names you mention (both staff and boys) are ringing bells - I particularly remember a "Murray" in my classes. Do any of the following names ring bells with you? Mick O'Flynn, "Bill" Bailey, Tom Toomey, Charlie Coombes, Ray Cooper, Steve Newbury, Michael Watts, Danny Wagner? If so then I think you and I might have been in the same classes - I can recall a couple of "Macs"! You may/may not be aware that the old school building was demolished? But the modern replacement has some similarities when viewed from the front. I think it's fair to say that when you and I attended, the school had a pretty good reputation - and I hear that continues today.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

04-05-2012 11:03 AM

Old boys of a sporting bent might like to know that the Year 7/Under 12 football team have got through to the final of the English Schools Football Association Cup Final. Getting to the last 2 of 652 teams from schools all around England is a pretty good achievement and hopefully they can add the trophy to that at Stamford Bridge two weeks today (18 May k/o 09:30).

This post was last modified: 04-05-2012 11:04 AM by IWereAbsolutelyFuming.

BillMcL

04-05-2012 12:40 PM

Hi Triangle. I left at the end of second year (July 1967) and went to Salford Grammar School near Manchester. I hadn't done the Eleven Plus as Forest Hill was comprehensive - but it's reputation and the fact that I was in one of the top 3 classes in second year got me into the Grammar School OK - which was a bit of luck!! - otherwise I'd have been dumped in the local Secondary Modern. So I agree, FH was a great school. I definitely remember some of the names you've mentioned. Mick O'Flynn - quite chubby, round face, rosey cheeks,dark hair? Bill Baiiley - glasses, wavy/curly hair, a bit gawpy looking but a good laugh? I'm pretty sure I remember a few of the other names too particularly Michael Watts and Ray Cooper. John Murray was quite tall with dark hair - lived south of Catford near to the Lido. He went on the 1967 Russia trip as well and was also in Browning. You might remember David(?) or it might be Steven Brock as he broke both arms at the same time falling out of a tree and came to school in two plaster casts for months! He lived just off Venner Road in Sydenham. Anyway, nice to hear from you and I hope some of this stirs a memory or rtwo. My name is Bill McLeish by the way if it's any help.
Kind Regards Bill

Triangle

04-05-2012 10:47 PM

Hi Bill, I can tell from your descriptions of our classmates that there's not a lot wrong with your memory! Yes, we were definitely in the same class - and we were all "streamed" then weren't we? I understand that streaming in schools is frowned upon now, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. I think the other "Mac" might have been a McClain? Whichever, I recall competing against one of you in the school sports day 800 metres race, which was held at the playing fields at Sidcup - I was representing my house (Drake) and I think I finished 5th out of the six competitors! Sports was never my strong point, although I did do better at my final choice of sport, which was cycling. We used to do that at Herne Hill cycle track with a fixed wheel and no brakes - I recall some of the accidents we had were horrendous - but we all seemed to get up and walk away at the end of the day! Happy days - and Forest Hill has a lot to answer for eh Bill? Nice talking to you.

BillMcL

05-05-2012 11:49 AM

Hi Triangle - Yeah! as soon as I read the names of Mick O'Flynn and "Bill" Bailey I got a clear mental picture of them straight away. - not bad after 45 years! About the 800 meters or 880 yds as it was then. That must have been the heats for the big sports day at Crystal Palace. I came third in the 2nd year final - Didn't know how to run it properly so I just sprinted as fast as I could and was about half a lap ahead of the rest at the end of the first lap. I was knackerd for the last quarter but nearly hung on to the lead - two guys passed me about 5 yds from the line! Got a big cheer at the medal ceremony for the entertainment value of my run though! ha ha.

Nice to share some memories with you - see you again mate.

BillMcL

05-05-2012 12:13 PM

Hi Triangle - I've just noticed an earlier post by you in which you mention Dr Badcock who liked to use the cane. I can confirm that! He left in 66 to become Head Master of a private school in North London. I can't remember it's name but he and a group of boys frrom there joined us on the Russia trip in 67. In Leningrad I arrived back in my room about 5 minutes late one night and he was patrolling the corridor. He put me over his knee and gave me 6 almighty wacks with his sandle - It was absolutely humiliating and disfraceful - not to mention painful. The other lads in the room said I should have complained but I was to scared. Thinking about it years later I'm sure he must have been was a bit dodgy.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

18-05-2012 02:01 PM

The boys from year 7 won the English schools FA Cup at Stamford Bridge today. Really well contested game and they came out 2-1 winners. Members of the school will now represent England at the schools world cup in Poland.

Horniman

24-05-2012 03:16 PM

Hi Triangle and Bill McL
I read your comments with interest - I am sure we were in the same class. I remember Mike O'Flynn, Tommy Toomey, John Hones etc. My name was "Cedric Barber", but I left for Africa in 1970 to start a new life and changed my name to Chris Jones. I came out as gay at school, probably unwisely at the time, although I did get quite a lot of support from some staff. I remember the one-armed maths teacher Mr Bayley. I was in 1.3, 2.3, 3.3, 4.P and 5P between 1965 and 1970. Never good at French, was in Mr Boakes' class.

Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  St. Francesca Cabrini primary school may close permanently (Forest Hill Road) samuelsen 0 2,869 21-05-2022 07:12 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Did anyone here go to school in Forest Hill or HOP bigbadwolf 63 92,995 01-01-2021 12:22 PM
Last Post: graham Orr
  Forest Hill Comprehensive School 1960 - 1965 taxi1950 2 7,029 10-01-2020 06:29 PM
Last Post: Perry Streer
  Forest Hill School 1974 richierich 1 6,546 28-06-2018 04:40 PM
Last Post: ShaulRichard
  Boy asking for sponsorship from Forest Hill Boys School FHParent 5 7,213 03-05-2018 09:04 AM
Last Post: Pico
  Forest Hill School Ex-Pupils Dithers88 1 5,981 31-10-2017 09:18 PM
Last Post: Mr Robin Banks
  Forest Hill School in Trouble hillview 0 4,557 19-07-2017 10:39 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Forest hill boys secondary school assaults Iheartsydenham 20 22,540 01-06-2016 02:48 PM
Last Post: Perryman
  Forest Hill School: petition to stop it being forced to become an academy blushingsnail 3 6,356 12-05-2016 12:35 PM
Last Post: Cllr Paul Upex
  Sainsburys Forest Hill School Children Ban shzl400 75 59,473 28-12-2015 05:00 AM
Last Post: Erekose
  Forest Hill Boys School Fundraising for Evelina Childrens Hospital P1971 0 3,671 08-07-2015 07:49 PM
Last Post: P1971
  Teachers Strike at Forest Hill Primary School Deano 6 9,992 13-10-2013 12:09 PM
Last Post: lacb
  Forest Hill School 'Connected' Family Learning Event Call Out cpa 0 4,404 21-05-2013 01:12 PM
Last Post: cpa
  Fairlawn School takes part in Healthy Eating Week with Sainsbury’s Forest Hill hrmforesthill 6 10,236 05-07-2012 10:12 PM
Last Post: Deano
  Forest Hill School's Outdoor Centre (Aber) GrahamAgnew 0 7,732 22-12-2011 10:57 AM
Last Post: GrahamAgnew
  Nearly New Sale - Horniman Primary School, Forest Hill BakingMummy 5 9,093 16-10-2010 09:39 AM
Last Post: BakingMummy
  Forest Hill School - Performing Arts Survey SLK 10 15,167 06-08-2010 02:21 PM
Last Post: junegapi
  Note to Former Forest Hill School Children who visited Ty'n y Berth Widehorizons 0 4,644 29-06-2009 08:10 AM
Last Post: Widehorizons
  Forest Hill Central School brian 2 8,143 06-03-2008 01:42 PM
Last Post: IWereAbsolutelyFuming