SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next > Last »
14 Waldram Park Road
Snazy

30-09-2010 03:55 PM

BBC travel site

A205 Waldram Park Road Forest Hill
both ways between Westbourne Drive and Sunderland Road closed
A205 London - Waldram Park Road closed both ways due to a landfill collapse between Westbourne Drive and Sunderland Road, in Forest Hill

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChrisR

30-09-2010 04:12 PM

Loads of emergency vehicle sirens in the area around 2ish. The Air Ambulance came in very low and seemed to be landing somewhere in the vicinity of the Church Rise/South Road junction.

Snazy

30-09-2010 04:16 PM

Sister has just messaged to say 1 person left in the Air Ambulance, and the South Circ has just reopened, although not sure if thats fully reopen yet.

Interested to hear the details of this now. Sadly I wont get home til after dark, so will be no way of seeing state of building.

Cheers for that Chris.

blushingsnail

30-09-2010 04:29 PM

Can anyone in the area confirm which building was affected? No. 14 Waldram Park Road has been having it's basement dug out, which is why Snazy thought it might be that building.

Snazy

30-09-2010 04:30 PM

Had it confirmed to me already that it is indeed, the rear of the building at #14 Waldram that has partially collapsed injuring at least one person.

blushingsnail

30-09-2010 04:30 PM

Oh the shame... I've just realised I mispelled 'its'.

Snazy

30-09-2010 04:34 PM

Well at least you are true to your name of Blush snail Thumbsup

Sorry about that lol.

Yes, my mum and sister have both been to the end of the road to confirm it was 14.
Hope everyone is ok now.

blushingsnail

30-09-2010 04:40 PM

Well it's [correct spelling] now evident that Earlsfield Estates (or whatever name they're now operating under) should NEVER be allowed to dig out a basement again. One destroyed building could be attributed to misfortune, but twice?

Snazy

30-09-2010 04:49 PM

I am not 100% sure on who the owners and developers are these days. I met with the guy who owns both sites the other week. (6 church rise and 14 waldram) and both him and his business partner were new faces to me. He said they were NEW, and not the old developers, but I guess its easy to say that, and just post up a new front man.

Either way, related or not, its rediculous that the local area would have 2 beautiful old buildings like these ruined by cowboy developers.

Hopefully there will be questions to answer this time.

And to think I took comfort from the developer explaining to me that I have nothing to worry about when they start on #6, explaining the ground works he had done at #14 were solid.

Dont want to speculate now, like Michael said, best not to, but either way, something stinks, and im sick of FH losing buildings now. Hope this one can be saved.

Snazy

30-09-2010 07:12 PM

I am sad to post that I have just witnessed the body of a victim of todays house collapse be removed from the premises at 14 Waldram Park Road.

I hope there are serious consequences for those responsible for this event.

RIP the lost soul, and condolences to the family of the deceased.

Wishing a speedy recovery to the others injured.

Snazy

30-09-2010 08:35 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11446890

The injured and deceased are the same person. Sorry for any confusion.

JoG

01-10-2010 10:13 PM

Just been looking through old threads, as this came up in a search, when looking for some more information on the collapse, and I think a further more detailed investgation needs to made by the police as well, is Lewisham Council ar enot doing their job!

I'm on Westbourne Drive, and getting fed up of the constant traffic diversions!

Jo

Snazy

02-10-2010 09:31 AM

Hi Jo, I totally agree that it's becoming a joke now,the constant disruptions in the area.
The police had forensics in there for a day, so I'm sure they have gathered all the info they need to see who is responsible, and hopefully for someone to be held to account for this.

The shameful part about the whole matter is the responses or lack of responses should I say, to the emails of concern about the property and developers.
That said, without knowing what had happened inside the site, it's impossible to say anyone is to blame, or that poor practises are to blame for this.

I would really like the media to take a deeper look into this one.

And my biggest concen (second to to the loss of life obviously) is if it is poor practises that has caused a collapse, I don't want these people building on the ground next to my house.
I am determined to get a FULL comprehensive consultation on the foundations and condition of our property now, as I'm sure more should have been done after the collapse on church rise.

Hawkesrah

02-10-2010 07:24 PM

The situation is that building work was being carried out on a house in Waldram Park Road. The house collapsed and a 50 year old man of Vietnamese origin was killed. The Air Ambulance landed on the green in Westbourne Drive but they could not save him. Thats the official casualty list so far.

Old articles indicate the same builders may have been involved in the house that collapsed on Church Rise.

Snazy

02-10-2010 08:33 PM

The facts are I believe correct up until the comment about the builders and the house on Church Rise.
These were not the same builders, nor on the face of things the same development company. The building was previously owned by Earlsfield until they were wound up last year some time.

Also I have to say from what I have seen, and follow up actions, the comment I previously made about the "house" collapsing was probably an exaggeration of the truth. It appears there has more than likely been a partial internal collapse, as the structure appears in tact, and no works have been carried out to secure the building, which suggests thankfully it is not immediately in danger of total loss.

Regardless of anything, someone lost their life on the site, and someone needs to answer questions of how and why.

dbboy

02-10-2010 09:32 PM

I would have thought that it will have been reported to Her Majesty’s Inspectorate for Health and Safety. who will investigate, report on the findings and prosecute if anyone is found to have been negligent. This could include a spell at Her Majesty’s pleasure and quite possibly a fine.

Snazy

03-10-2010 12:07 PM

Yup the HSE have indeed been notified of this. That's one good thing for sure.
Now I just want a complete investigation on how these projects have been overseen, and what other failings there have been.

I find it shocking that following a complete collapse, from basement up, as happened at church rise, that the local authorities would NOT investigate, nor check the stability of surrounding buildings. This is something I will be following up aggressively.

robin orton

03-10-2010 02:18 PM

'Snazy' said:

Quote:
Yup the HSE have indeed been notified of this

As someone with a keen amateur interest in modern English usage, I'd be interested to know when and why it is thought appropriate to use 'yup' rather than 'yes'. Does 'yes' sound a bit starchy, compared with the transatlantic and therefore more classless 'yup'?

Snazy

03-10-2010 02:49 PM

Are you bored or something ? Lol
Go away..... Please.

robin orton

03-10-2010 03:11 PM

No, I'm not bored, on the contrary. But I'll certainly go away, if you'd prefer. Glad you lol, anyway.

Pages (6): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Waldram Park Road closed due to fatal accident hillview 1 6,019 26-11-2017 12:52 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Leak on corner of Waldram Crescent and Devonshire Road Jon Lloyd 5 8,689 14-04-2008 07:49 AM
Last Post: admin