SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Quiz Honor Oak
pill-j

30-11-2007 04:59 PM

it strikes me that all the Honor Oak needs to be the perfect pub isa pub quiz. Do they have any plans to do one? My frined and I love pub quizzes and have plenty of questions we could use, if they would like us to run one. Is it a popular idea?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
honoracorn

30-11-2007 05:01 PM

pill-j wrote:
it strikes me that all the Honor Oak needs to be the perfect pub isa pub quiz. Do they have any plans to do one? My frined and I love pub quizzes and have plenty of questions we could use, if they would like us to run one. Is it a popular idea?

definitely. went to the Hob quiz last night but would love to see one at the Honor Oak

baggydave

01-12-2007 09:06 PM

Check out CPT quiz on a Wednesday - easily reached by bus from all parts of SE23, and the best ELO beard in SE London + a relatively unadulterated Victorian pub. All proceeds to St Christophers Hospice.

http://www.cptquiz.co.uk/

Baggy Dave, 100% quality assured advice

baggydave

01-12-2007 09:16 PM

I suppose that I should also add that it is good that you are supporting a local venture. The Jamies are far too shy and modest. But I know that deep down they have appreciated my advice for example on traditional pub games, and morris dancing. Other advice for the YOHO such as make sure that you don't run out of beer, and stocking real ale less than 5% have gone a little astray. Still I am sure that they are most welcome of other advice on their venture.

Baggy Dave, single handedly changing the face of SE23

Toffeejim

02-12-2007 12:43 PM

pill-j wrote:
all the Honor Oak needs to be the perfect pub

No doubt I'm out of touch with modern definitions of what a good pub should be. I always thought that stocking decent ale and keeping it well was at the heart of this. I haven't been to the HO in a while. Can anybody tell me if there has been any recent improvement in these two areas?

davidl

03-12-2007 09:35 AM

The Black Sheep was on yesterday and appeared to be reasonably well-kept. I had a couple of pints, just to check, and had no complaints, unlike the Guinness I had there a couple of weeks ago which was like the Devil's dishwater (and it's quite hard to get Guinness wrong...)

Main problem actually appears to be that most of the bar staff don't know what a decent pint (or gin & tonic) ought to look like, or taste like. So, it's often one step forward, and one step back - going you take your chances and can wind up with flat lager, watery Guinness, cloudy bitter, or a little tumbler with gin, tonic and no ice or lime.

Ian

03-12-2007 11:36 AM

Toffeejim wrote:

pill-j wrote:
all the Honor Oak needs to be the perfect pub

No doubt I'm out of touch with modern definitions of what a good pub should be. I always thought that stocking decent ale and keeping it well was at the heart of this. I haven't been to the HO in a while. Can anybody tell me if there has been any recent improvement in these two areas?

I went there a few weeks ago to try it out and the Broadside was 'spot-on'
but at ?3 a pint, I'm not rusing back.

One loud voice can make a difference !
baggydave

03-12-2007 08:25 PM

Another fine post Ian.

DL - now you have totally lost me as you are destroying your own argument that tied houses were a bad thing. I know of plenty of what should be decent places in central and outer London where the staff haven't a clue how to serve beer. Warm, flat, dirty pipes, not properly stored and conditioned..... Includes the FHT.

lillam

08-12-2007 09:57 PM

baggydave wrote:
I know that deep down they have appreciated my advice for example on traditional pub games, and morris dancing.

Blink

baggydave

09-12-2007 12:29 AM

Some round faced virus seems to have affected my last posting, hope some teccy can remove it

BD - alert to danger as ever

davidl

09-12-2007 02:40 PM

baggydave wrote:
DL - now you have totally lost me as you are destroying your own argument that tied houses were a bad thing. I know of plenty of what should be decent places in central and outer London where the staff haven't a clue how to serve beer. Warm, flat, dirty pipes, not properly stored and conditioned..... Includes the FHT.

The point I made elsewhere is that tied houses were not necessarily any guarantee of quality, not that tied houses were in themselves a bad thing.

The drinking part still comes down to the care of the management and the staff in both keeping and serving the beer, whatever the structure of ownership etc. surely?

baggydave

09-12-2007 07:42 PM

I went to the Bull at Horon Kirkby today. Not that I tend to frequent North Kent that often (see other sites for some of my more stereotypical views), but had a reason to be there.

Nice range of ales, two straight out of the barrel. Local football fans (are there any) will be interested that the ex-Charlton player Brian Kinsey drinks there. http://www.charlton-athletic.co.uk/Galle...20Defender

We had another family with us, and our kids had their fizzy teeth rotting treat whilst we enjoyed our beer. They were the only kids there, and were well behaved, for the thirty minutes we stayed (about right for the kids).

I think this answers points on about five different threads.

BD, always a balanced argument

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields