SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
September Southern Timetable changes
Honoak

05-08-2022 07:55 PM

I went to the Zoom with Vicky Foxcroft and Southern back in March (I think) there is a follow on in September 14/9 which I can't go to as am on hols.

Vicky's office has provided an update from Southern:
"We are planning a change to Southern services from Sunday 4th September.
What this means from the Brockley and Honor Oak Park perspective is that the current all-stations London Bridge to East Croydon via Sydenham service will not run, and in its place, the London Bridge to London Victoria service via Sydenham will run.

At a practical level, this will mean more capacity into London Bridge (8/10 carriages vs the current 5). The “clockface” times will also change slightly – e.g. Brockley’s current XX:18, XX:48 pattern past the hour to London Bridge will become XX:03, XX:33 past the hour. It also means the return of direct journeys towards West Norwood, Clapham, London Victoria and similar. It also means more capacity into Victoria for stations such as Gipsy Hill and direct journeys to London Bridge – but appreciate that element is not relevant to the constituency.

However, it does mean that the journey to East Croydon will now be indirect, with a change at Norwood Junction. To reduce the effect, we will be stopping Caterham fast services at Norwood Junction and on the same platform as the London Overground service for most of the day – so for example, a journey from Brockley at circa 10:30, involves catching the 10:32 London Overground departure, arriving at Norwood Junction on platform 5 at 10:48, then at 10:52 from the same platform, the Caterham service provides the connection to East Croydon. This set up has also been designed for the return journey, with both services using platform 1 at Norwood.’"

My feedback to Vicky's office is as follows:
"The information is helpful and it is good that: there will be longer trains, and that there is a same platform interchange at Norwood Junction for those going to Gatwick.

I remain concerned that with 2 trains per hour the cancellation of one leaves a really bad service. So it HAS to be reliable.

I still have concerns that when there are issues like very hot weather, the stopping service to London Bridge seems to be frequently withdrawn. The cancellation record on weekends (leaving aside strikes!?) is not great."

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: September Southern Timetable changes - Honoak - 05-08-2022 07:55 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  2018 proposed changes to Southern timetable Azira 61 53,725 23-01-2018 10:25 PM
Last Post: Hare on the hill
  Southern Timetable Dec 2015 BleuPeep 3 5,513 31-12-2015 11:43 PM
Last Post: rbmartin