SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
SE23 Parents Club
dmhawk

07-07-2016 03:23 PM

A little while ago I put a call out on the SE23 Mums Facebook group asking if anyone was interested in forming a group that meets once per month to talk about parenting issues?

I'd read loads of really good parenting books (because I've often felt like 'Gah! I don't know what I'm doing!). My favourites are No Drama Discipline, How to talk to kids so they listen and how to listen so they talk, Positive Discipline and Buddhism for Mothers. I also do a lot of soft skills training in my day job and offered an assertiveness for parents workshop to an informal parents group at work and it was really well received. I offered to run the same workshop, basically summarising the key points from the books I've read with lots of interactive exercises and discussion points to the local women's institutes, but they've declined my offer saying (understandably) that because not all of their members are parents it wouldn't be too well received.

I basically want to form a group that's part book review/ part speaker series/ part action learning set. I'm keen to share and gain knowledge and while online groups are a fab resource, I'd be interested in some in person discussions.

I’m pleased to announce that our first meeting of our local parent group is taking place on Thursday 14 July 8-10pm at the function room in the Railway Telegraph.

I’m tentatively calling the group ‘The SE23 Parents Club', please let me know if you can think of a better name.

In any case, I do hope you can join us to meet other parents, discuss discipline techniques, share your experiences and problem solve. All are welcome including: LGBT parents, mums, dads, adoptive parents, single parents etc. This will be a very inclusive and supportive group and although theory and expertise will be focused on gentle/positive parenting all are welcome.

The first meeting will focus on ‘Dealing with tantrums’.

But future meetings will focus on:
-Developing empathy
-Managing conflict with your child
-Assertiveness with your partner/other adults
-Effective praise
-How to say no
-Cooperation between siblings
-Starting school
-Discussion on gender norms
-Managing screen time/online safety

....and more!

If you're interested please RSVP by sending me a message. Hope to see you there and let me know if you have any questions.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Car Club in SE23 area john-f 6 7,599 23-08-2015 03:14 PM
Last Post: Tim Lund
  23 Club 23-Mile Bike Ride from SE23 on 23rd admin 2 4,215 24-03-2014 01:28 PM
Last Post: TonyB
  Old private sports club/pool, SE23 mark101 4 7,272 22-03-2011 03:07 PM
Last Post: dbboy