SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next > Last »
Consultation on Controlled Parking Zone in Forest Hill
m00ky

01-11-2015 12:47 AM

Dropped kerb is costed on a per job basis, and the council will tell you the cost after applying and paying an application fee.

The cheapest Lewisham will be is £1000, including application. It's on their website.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

06-11-2015 11:37 PM

CPZ consultation is now available on line and through doors
https://lewisham-consult.objective.co.uk...orest_hill

The map of proposed parking seems fairly sensible if there is to be a CPZ. I hope if it is created that it is only for 2 hours per day (which would be of most benefit to businesses) and that consideration is given to Rockbourne, Standstead, Westbourne, Rojack, Church Rise, South Road, Perry Vale, etc which are likely to suffer more from commuter parking.

But then I'm not going to have to pay the fees and I'm not sure I would want to impose this on my neighbours. Perhaps people like me (with off-street parking) shouldn't have a say.

P1971

06-11-2015 11:52 PM

Thanks Michael

Not checked this out yet but will do tomorrow.

My input will be as a local resident of Rockbourne Road.

Jane2

07-11-2015 12:12 AM

Or you could do as one of my neighbours does and 'reserves' the space outside his house with his wheely bins when he leaves every day....

This post was last modified: 07-11-2015 12:13 AM by Jane2.

jaradras

07-11-2015 07:02 AM

What happens to the roads/streets adjacent the the proposed CPZ area if implemented, does the problem not shift to he "free" roads by commuters/residents in the CPZ zone who may choose to park free of charge in non CPZ roads/streets.

localbigwig

07-11-2015 11:08 AM

Reasons to say YES to a controlled parking zone:
1. To stop commuters clogging up our streets.
2. To stop non resident long term parking,
3. If it your street says no and neighbouring streets say yes then the problem will be much worse for your street.

Reasons to say NO to a controlled parking zone:
1. Why would you want to pay for parking when you don’t need to?
2. Trades people will pass their parking charges on to you.
3. Family and friends will be reluctant to visit you.
4. Enforcement officers may be over zealous and cause you stress.

borderpaul

07-11-2015 12:15 PM

I think the NOs depend on where you live

Why would you want to pay for parking when you don’t need to? I can never get parking near my house and waste my time and money driving round, I am paying for it already.

Trades people will pass their parking charges on to you. The first thing a tradesman/woman does when he comes to the house is complain about how difficult it is to get parking and ask if you can get them a space if they are going to work on the job.

Family and friends will be reluctant to visit you. Everytime the mother-in-law visits by car, I have to trudge up the neighbouring roads to bring her bags in and make her a cup of tea while she complains about parking where we live and how it is so bad. Now that I think of it this could remain as a NO.

m00ky

07-11-2015 12:36 PM

Quote:
Or you could do as one of my neighbours does and 'reserves' the space outside his house with his wheely bins when he leaves every day....

Classy. Do they feed the local foxes too, by any chance?

Jane2

07-11-2015 11:54 PM

Ha ha not that I know if! It's quite odd though (especially as he also has a dropped kerb and driveway which he never uses).

Our street is not included in the CPZ proposal but these things do have a habit of spreading. I often find it difficult to park by my house but still don't think I'd want a CPZ here.

Our street was recently repaved and I was surprised how many driveways were given a double dropped kerb if their driveway happened to have been laid over the whole of the front garden. I would have thought each house should be given just one dropped kerb of a specified width? (Thereby creating some off-street parking too). It seems those who have decided to Tarmac the whole of the front garden (rather than for example creating one driveway, and a planted area to the side for rainwater runoff) were rewarded with a double dropped kerb. In some cases where two neighbouring houses have tarmaced the whole of their front gardens, the council put in one massive long dropped kerb so no on-street parking at all. If everyone did that the street would just end up looking like one long car-park.

shaman

08-11-2015 03:01 AM

Lots of discussion here about ways to stop the commuters, but they don't seem to be the problem as far as I can tell. The main problem seems to be too many resident cars! Or people using things like the library or shops or teaching children at schools (I presume).

https://lewisham-consult.objective.co.uk/file/3632007

Quote:
4.3 Summary – Forest Hill

Average occupancy in the Forest Hill area is below 60% during the week and at the weekend. However, four roads in the area are very highly stressed on weekdays and at the weekend throughout the day. These roads are Clyde Vale, Derby Hill, Derby Hill Crescent and Dartmouth Place. These streets are located close to Forest Hill Station and close to the shops and services along Dartmouth Road which are trip generators and attract visitors from outside the area.

Other roads in the area which are highly stressed during the week but not so much at the weekend include Devonshire Road, Thorpewood Avenue and Westwood Park. Schools situated along Thorpewood Avenue and Westwood Park are likely to contribute to the high parking demand during the week.

High levels of short stay parking were recorded on Dartmouth Road which suggests that people are parking in this location to make use of the local shops, schools and library.

Commuter parking accounted for 11% of total occupancy during the week and 14% at the weekend. Removing commuter parking from the area would reduce parking stress levels on the most highly stressed routes during the week so that:

Clyde Vale would have an average parking stress of 96% (reduced from 108%)
Dartmouth Place would be 114% (reduced from 122%)
Derby Hill would be 98% (reduced from 105%)
Derby Hill Crescent would be 85% (reduced from 101%).

Removing commuter parking from these streets would not free up a large number of parking spaces for residents but would bring all but one street (Dartmouth Place) to under 100% occupancy.

Removing commuter parking during the weekend would lead to the following reductions in parking stress on the most highly stressed streets:
x Clyde Vale – 102% reduced to 83%
x Dartmouth Place – 122% reduced to 102%
x Derby Hill – 112% reduced to 93%
x Derby Hill Crescent 110% reduced to 83%

localbigwig

08-11-2015 12:25 PM

Depending on the situation in your street and assuming your street is within the proposed new CPZ.

Reasons you may say YES to a controlled parking zone:
1. To stop commuters clogging up our streets.
2. To stop non resident long term parking,
3. If your street says no and neighbouring streets say yes then the problem will be much worse for your street.
4. You don’t have a car. You don’t like cars and you always cadge a lift from you friends.

Reasons you may say NO to a controlled parking zone:
1. Why would you want to pay for parking when you don’t need to?
2. Trades people will pass their parking charges on to you.
3. Family and friends will be reluctant to visit you.
4. Enforcement officers may be over zealous and cause you stress.
5. Parking within the confines of a painted box will result in people needing a can opener to get out, as any exit gaps are taken up by the next vehicle that may be larger than the one that has left.
6. Our neighbourhood will become far less green as people convert their gardens into parking areas.

Scenarios:

Your car is in for repair and you have a courtesy car.
How easy will it be to temporarily transfer your parking permit?

Your vehicle is an inch or two longer than the available bay space,
If you park, will that result in a £80 fine?

Foresthillbillie

09-11-2015 10:45 AM

The other thing with CPZ's is that you end up with less parking spaces than you do now. In the last consultation, there were plans/photos showing how the bay's would look. Each junction would have double yellow lines running around each corner removing 2-3 spaces on each road, so 8-12 less spaces per junction. Also, anyone who has a dropped kerb/driveway would find a double yellow line over their drive, meaning that no one can ever park there again. Anyone who has two cars would then have to use a bay resulting in even less spaces. Also, the council will issue more permits than spaces and it does not guarantee a space outside your house. When I park, I can't always park outside the house but normally within a max 2 min walk which in London is acceptable. CPZ's in my opinion are just a way for the council to make money.

Londondrz

09-11-2015 11:40 AM

FHB, direct opposite happened with us. Same amount of space and much easier for us to park now. Much much easier. No off street parking though.

flashharry

09-11-2015 11:51 AM

I think its just a revenue raising exercise. As has been previously pointed out there is not a huge commuter parking problem (i think 11% was the estimate) If they really wanted to free up the parking on Devonshire road they could make the car park on Perry Vale free (as its always pretty empty) and the commuters would park there. But, of course, this would cost money rather than raising it

localbigwig

09-11-2015 01:20 PM

The roads close to the station are where commuter parking is a problem, so why create a solution to a problem that does not exist beyond that area. If commuters start to move further away from the station then that should be the time to look at a CPZ for the affected area.

Pretty much all of the vehicles that park in my street are owned by a growing number of fairly local residents and their visitors, I can’t see how creating a controlled parking zone will change anything for the better; but I can see it making things worse,
Households with off street parking will buy a permit and park in a bay so that they have a clear reserved space for visitors on their drive, as an alternative to the current situation where they have effectively a reserved space in front of their drive.

Jane2

09-11-2015 01:32 PM

It does seem crazy that there are so many parking problems elsewhere but the Perry Vale carpark is so underused.

I think more 'leisure/shopping' visitors would use the car park at Perry Vale if it was easier to get to Dartmouth Road, but at the moment its quite a walk all the way back down to the underpass and then all the way back up Dartmouth Road to the pools. But I can't see them putting in another bridge so doubt that will change.

I do admit to driving to Forest Hill sometimes, mainly because the bus doesn't go from where I live to along Dartmouth Road, and also because when you have library books, swimming bags and shopping its a lot to carry. But then by the time we have done a sports class, had a swim in the pools, visited the local shops, had lunch in a cafe x 5 people, we have spent a fair bit of money in the centre of Forest Hill, which is also something that needs to be taken into account.

This post was last modified: 09-11-2015 01:33 PM by Jane2.

Ligersaur

09-11-2015 01:46 PM

Speaking of Devonshire Road [terrible segue], I see that the available parking at the end of Devonshire Road closest to the station has a dramatic decrease proposed. There is a large new section of single yellow line that has been proposed. The new single yellow line is in front of approximately twenty-four properties (mainly flats) and only two of those have off-street parking. The loss of parking will likely make demand even higher between residents close by. [The yellow line also extends to in front of a large development of flats at 51 Devonshire Road; however, these flats already have private off street parking so I am ignoring this entirely in my above numbers, although the residents will have the right to apply for an on-street parking permit.] Clearly, the change to the parking regulations is being used to clear the roads for increased traffic flow with an overall loss to the resident's parking spaces.

I also note that there is a small section of road marked "Devonshire Road" at the end of David's Road, outside the front of the station. Is this correct?

This post was last modified: 09-11-2015 01:55 PM by Ligersaur.

lacb

09-11-2015 02:02 PM

Ligersaur, you make a good point re Devonshire Road. I think that rat running could well be encouraged by this. The other end, where we are, are not even being consulted.

Re your last point: Devonshire Road extends all the way to the junction with London Road.

This post was last modified: 09-11-2015 02:02 PM by lacb.

Foresthillbillie

09-11-2015 05:42 PM

https://lewisham-consult.objective.co.uk/file/3650844

The above document shows the plans of where bays will be and yellow lines. From Woodcombe Crescent to the South Circular along Devonshire Road, half of all the current parking spaces will be lost to yellow lines!

Ligersaur

09-11-2015 06:41 PM

The Parking Stress Analysis document, at the top of the page marked 61 states: "Devonshire Road, Thorpewood Avenue and Westwood Park are highly stressed streets with an average occupancy of between 90% and 100%" [emphasis added]. On Table 16 at the page marked 64 in the above-mentioned document, the average non-resident daytime use on Devonshire Road is stated at 24%. The reduction in parking at that point on Devonshire Road appears to extend well beyond the non-resident use, meaning residents will be detrimentally affected and also put pressure on fellow residents along the road.

I read the associated documents, but did not find any reasoning or clear justification for the proposed extensive single yellow line use at that end of Devonshire Road.

This post was last modified: 09-11-2015 06:44 PM by Ligersaur.

Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pedestrian zone Forest Hill area wbrayn 2 3,871 15-11-2020 09:01 AM
Last Post: michael
  Consultation re Forest Hill Road speed reduction pixysunflower 1 3,905 25-11-2018 03:43 PM
Last Post: Erekose
  Free Saturday Parking in Forest Hill michael 1 4,853 04-12-2014 05:27 PM
Last Post: Fish Face
  SE23 - 20mph speed zone-Lewisham controlled streets jaradras 2 5,225 29-11-2014 08:38 PM
Last Post: Perryman
  Why is HOP and Forest Hill in zone 3 and not zone 2 Redalways 3 7,946 13-11-2011 04:31 PM
Last Post: brian
  Forest Hill 20 MPH Zone NewForester 106 110,159 01-01-2011 01:16 PM
Last Post: XFH
  Parking fines in Forest Hill Londondrz 11 13,420 13-06-2010 09:57 PM
Last Post: Tinkerbell
  Parking in Forest Hill Elise 10 16,897 07-10-2008 04:10 PM
Last Post: Londondrz