SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (18): « First < Previous 14 15 16 17 [18] Last »
New Sainsburys, 55-59 Honor Oak Park
Ruddiger

08-08-2013 06:52 PM

I hope the more optimistic takes on the consultation in this discussion are right, and I don't doubt that Lewisham would like to protect the retail uses on the parade. But I think Codrington Brill has some valid concerns and I don't think it is clear that viable, successful retail uses could be protected from landlords who want to make a quick buck through converting a shop to residential use. It would be good to confirm with Lewisham whether they think this proposal would allow them to protect the retail uses on Honor Oak Park. In the meantime, I will be objecting to this proposal anyway. Granting permitted development rights is far too broad and indiscriminate a measure.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Minicrinkle

10-08-2013 07:40 PM

Agreed, I have just written to reject that proposal in the con doc. I'm a customer / consumer rather than a business in the high street but have noticed rumblings of landlords with a grip over properties in HOP high street asking for unreasonable rents and failing to market properly. If landlords do this, shops remain empty for a long period, and voila, landlords have created the scenario allowing them to argue that the parade is in decline and attempt to convert to residential despite it being detrimental to the area. I'd rather see strenghtened rights for prospective tenants to appeal a landlord's demands at the council to ensure that good prospective tenants/businesses have more of a chance. After all, if Britain is 'open for business', it should start with supporting local economies and businesses rather than facilitating comversion into residential. Conversion from business to residential is a huge change and will have a huge impact. It's simply reckless to contemplate this being faciliated in the absense of a proper/full planning application.

Codrington Brill

10-08-2013 08:31 PM

In response to earlier posts, adopting a conservation area takes months/years due to the studies required. Whereas changes to the permitted development order could be made anytime after the consultation ends i.e. potentially by Christmas. So I wouldn't be complacent in that regard.

Ministers are telling the media that this is to put empty properties back to use. The same spin was used when government made it permitted to go from offices to resi earlier this year. Three months later there are cases where tenants will be evicted from their offices. So much for 1 Localism 2 Supporting local businesses.

We do need more affordable homes but not supplied in such an arbitrary way.

mrwandle

12-08-2013 09:42 AM

Does anyone know anything about Neighbourhood Forums and Plans, part of the Localism Act 2011?

Reading this, if residents set one up with help from the local authority, they can directly dictate local planning policy themselves:
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/inyoura...bourhood/.

Lewisham website says this about them.

But to do it properly it looks like you have to have sufficient resources behind with members who are clued up about planning, and it's more viable for local associations that already exist.

Has anyone ever looked into this for HOP and FH? Would be nice to force the landlords to take notice of what the community wants for a change.

Cheeky

12-08-2013 09:46 AM

Loving the posters put up by Sainsbury's at the weekend.

I think they've done their homework. Nice to see a business listening to what the customer wants and providing what the customer needs.

Codrington Brill

12-08-2013 12:43 PM

Anyone can set up a Neighbourhood Forum provided it is representative of their wider community. I'm sure our local residents associations and groups are already some way towards setting up a forum but I don't have the details to hand.

Codrington Brill

12-08-2013 12:45 PM

I've just found one for Crofton Park - http://www.croftonpark.com/local-forums/...ly?&pnum=1

Sparkles

12-08-2013 02:07 PM

There's HOPRA (Honor Oak Park Residents Association) too... They might be on the case or able to offer some advice.

jaykayla

19-08-2013 03:06 PM

Sainsbury's has confirmed in an email to me that the new store should be open by the end of September.

Tersie

20-08-2013 05:36 PM

Just seen on the billboard they are opening up on September 12th. As I said on previously a Sainsbury local has opened next to Brocca Foods / Deli in Brockley. A friend who works there said if anything they have seen an increase in business. Lets hope this will be the same for some of our independent businesses.

Pages (18): « First < Previous 14 15 16 17 [18] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pearcefield Car Park (Sainsburys) changes Herbparis 0 3,637 23-03-2020 01:34 PM
Last Post: Herbparis
  Sainsburys in HOP using cycle racks as a trolley park whitecloud 7 9,468 04-11-2014 02:36 PM
Last Post: Londondrz
  Anyone in Sainsburys/Pearcefield road car park this morning (Friday 23rd Dec)? ladywotlunches 3 6,752 23-12-2011 06:32 PM
Last Post: rshdunlop
  Parking machine in Sainsburys car park. Wilson 8 10,694 10-12-2011 08:31 AM
Last Post: shzl400
  'Incident' at Sainsburys Car Park. roz 11 15,142 20-12-2007 09:28 PM
Last Post: Sherwood