SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Devonshire Road- vehicle damage
shzl400

17-11-2009 07:09 PM

And P.S. If you had a respark zone, would it stop your car being broken into?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
annsquire66

17-11-2009 09:29 PM

Yes Daveyyates, I too would love a resident's parking scheme although I understand that would inconvenience the commuters and churchgoers who also want to park outside my house! It will therefore not happen.
There have been a couple of consultations in the 18 years I have lived here and supposedly the majority don't want it; I have not found any of this majority when asking around.
As I suspected, the damage to my car is not worth going through the insurance for, but it is still going to cost me ?200 and 3 car-less days to put right.Cursing
I do believe in karma so the guilty party will pay one day- just not my garage bill...

daveyyates

17-11-2009 09:43 PM

In the case of Devonshire Road, it is a long enough street for residents' parking to be punctuated, with the result that those seeking to leave their cars free for the day don't just clog up both ends of it but move along its length, and have to walk a little further as a result.

I don't see the issue as one of being 'all right, Jack'. I don't expect residents' parking to be for nothing - I would be quite happy to pay for my permit.

As regards encouraging people out of their cars, this is achieved by making the use of the motor vehicle more difficult or expensive.

If people have a free parking space three minutes' walk from Forest Hill station, they have no incentive whatsoever to get out of their cars, but make that space further from the station, or demand that they pay for it, and the bicycle or public transport to the station becomes a more attractive option.

annsquire66

26-01-2010 11:02 PM

Yet again my parked car has been damaged by another vehicle driving too closely! Not even surprised anymore.
A nice sharp scrape across the side extending onto the door this time. You couldn't get a smaller gap between my wheels and the kerb, my mirror is always turned in and I never park on/close to the junction of Woodcombe Crescent but still it persists. Am starting to take it personally. Or perhaps my car is destined to be re-sprayed panel by panel... Mad

Sherwood

27-01-2010 07:15 AM

Your road is so narrowed by parked cars that it should be made one-way.

Hare on the hill

27-01-2010 08:39 AM

And which in which direction would you have the one way going and what would be the alternative for those going in the other direction - Honor Oak Road? Unworkable for a road network set out in victorian times.

As much as I am anti controlled parking zones seeing the number of people who park in the morning to use the station I think the time has come.

daveyyates

27-01-2010 10:02 AM

To be honest I have never thought about whether I am 'for' or 'against' the concept of controlled parking zones.

But my experience of Devonshire Road - and I live opposite the old Post Office - is that the situation is getting worse and needs a remedy.

roz

27-01-2010 11:25 AM

A previous remedy proposed to the Council some time back was to prevent cars turning right into Devonshire from the south circular, largely because they a) got stuck due to the road being so narrow and b) prevented traffic flow along the right hand filter lane on the south circ resulting in traffic holdups for both lanes and no one really benefitting very much. The objective was mainly to reduce rat running however it would have partially addressed the issues raised here re Devonshire in that it would reduce the amount of traffic at peak times. It didn't get very far due to consultation needs and the cost of that although I recall it being viewed positively by the highway engineers subject to cost. Perhaps time it was raised again?

Ewelme isn't itself immune from car damage - its wide enough in parts however people still drive too close resulting in considerable damage to parked cars and loss of wing mirrors. Personally I would hate controlled parking that far up but accept that in Devonshire its probably the only real solution, at least up as far as the Woodcombe Crescent turning.

shzl400

27-01-2010 01:25 PM

I'm interested that the "no right turn" idea has already been considered, as it's something that I have always thought would be a good idea, in order to improve traffic flow, as it can cause a jam all the way up the road, waiting for one car to turn right and it's so frustrating sitting behind them. It this cures the tailbacks, and therefore also the need to squeeze past, then I think this would be my favoured solution, rather than a CPZ or making the road one-way.

OK, brace for barrage from people who would have to go half-way round London to turn right otherwise.... Rolleyes

michael

27-01-2010 02:07 PM

No right turn into Devonshire is virtually turning it into a one way street, but that might be exactly the solution needed. I think the other problem is people turning right out of Devonshire Road which causes traffic to back up the road and cars in both directions need to squeeze past each other. But I don't think residents would like this restriction.

Of course lots of people would still perform right turns even if it were not allowed, just as they do into Wickes at Catford or left into Manor Mount (which is worse as it is a one way system).

My suspision is that there are a number of problems and each scheme only solves one at a time, until the road is blocked off (like roads around Honor Oak). There is the problem of the narrow width, there is a problem of speed, there is a problem of commuter parking, there is a problem of rat-running, there is the problem of traffic jams generated by use of Devonshire Road, and there is a problem with traffic jams through the centre of Forest Hill.

Solving the last of these problems would probably reduce all of the others but it is not easy to keep traffic moving on the South Circular and still allow local people to use local roads and allow pedestrians to cross the roads occasionally.

A CPZ would probably allow more passing points on the road, reduce commuter parking and therefore a slight reduction in traffic. It would need to continue up Woodcombe Crescent and to the bottom of Ewelme. (I used to use Woodcombe Crescent for commuter parking when I needed to drive somewhere before or after work and lived a lot further from the station, it was too much hassle looking for a spot closer to the station).

Now that David Road and Manor Mount have CPZs I expect people in Devonshire will want one, especially with the redevelopment of the Sorting Office (which could be forced to pay for the introduction of a CPZ as section 106 agreement - if that is what residents want). Unfortunately people in Taymount Rise, Church Rise, and South Road will not be allowed a say on this CPZ, they will have to wait for their own CPZ, when they get the extra commuter parking.

NewForester

27-01-2010 03:31 PM

In June 2008, the council considered future CPZs. Taymount Rise and the southern end of Devonshire road are to be consulted on whether to include them in the current Davids Road CPZ, but was 6th on the list of priorities (after Hither Green East & West, Bankwell Rd, Lewisham and Ladywell).

It should be noted that the CPZ only runs from Mon-Fri 0900-1700 and so may not be of benefit in controlling church goers.

shzl400

27-01-2010 11:01 PM

Quote:
I think the other problem is people turning right out of Devonshire Road which causes traffic to back up the road and cars in both directions need to squeeze past each other.

Sorry, that's what I meant. Right turn in I don't think is a problem.

annsquire66

16-03-2010 07:28 PM

Predictably, yet another scrape to my car. Third time in 4 months. Front wing this time. I can only conclude that the people doing this simply cannot see it- the car must be wearing an invisible cloak disguising the fact that it's full sized and bright red Mad

annsquire66

17-05-2010 09:48 PM

Just adding the latest scrape to the catalogue. Happened about a week ago but too jaded to post earlier Sad

roz

18-05-2010 07:09 AM

Write to local councillors and suggest a meeting - I'll attend.

annsquire66

29-09-2010 08:29 AM

Has anyone seen the state of the wall outside 24/26 Devonshire Road?
A guy was allegedly reversing to park in the space in front of mine. He managed to reverse so fast that he shunted my parked car into a passing Mercedes before lurching forward and demolishing the wall and his own car.

Am sure his insurance company are delighted. Three cars and a garden wall!
They've written mine off. However, the offer they've made mean I can fix all the damage and still keep my car on the road.
Silver linings I guess Huh

billham

29-09-2010 05:49 PM

Glad to hear you at least got your car repaired Ann but it sounds like Devonshire Road is a dangerous place to live and park! I must admit that I hate driving along it. I don't like to cast assertions but was the driver involved breathalysed at all??

annsquire66

29-09-2010 06:24 PM

I don't think so. However, it was 11am on Saturday morning and I'm pretty sure he's a minister for one of the nearby churches! He doesn't live locally, but Devonshire Road is a free car park you know...
My theory is that he just hit the accelerator instead of the brake (automatic) and then put the car in drive before moving his foot.

ceetee

30-09-2010 05:46 PM

I hadn't realised how bad things were on Devonshire. I use it (carefully) every day and I have to admit that a few weeks ago I saw one of those John Ruskin mini buses scrape quite blazenly along the side of a parked car and just drive on. he must have been well aware of what he did. I am really sorry I didnt get his licence plate so didnt leave a note, if this was your car I do apologise for not leaving anything for you.

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Further Damage to cars in Kemble Road Erekose 0 3,712 11-06-2013 04:38 PM
Last Post: Erekose
  Car damage on Herschell Road? mitchy117 0 2,994 30-04-2013 08:39 PM
Last Post: mitchy117
  Damage to cars on Davids Road tohellwithculture 36 37,115 07-08-2011 05:17 PM
Last Post: brian