SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Warning - burglaries in Forest Hill area
armadillo

24-08-2010 02:58 PM

Just wanted to warn people that there currently appears to be a spate of attempted and successful burglaries in and around the Forest Hill area. We are aware of at least one attempt further up our road, and yesterday we returned home from work to find that we had been less lucky.

Having first unsuccesfully tried to lever open our rear kitchen window, the theives resorted to smashing though the double glazing to gain entry to the house before making off with anything valueable and easily carried - laptops, jewelery, that kind of thing.

Then, when the emergancy glazier arrived to secure the property, he told us that he had just come from a job at a house near the post office depot behind the mainilne station where they had also been burlged with pretty much the same m.o.

Thinking back, we seem to think there there has been an increase of people knocking on the front door for minor things in the last few weeks, maybe we're just being paranoid, but it feels like the area was being scoped out for likely targets.. either way, I thought I should let people know and ask to keep an eye out for people hanging about gardens or entrances to the rear of your or your neighbours property.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
megan

24-08-2010 03:25 PM

Sorry to hear your bad news. Can I ask do you have a burgular alarm? There has been a few incidents in my road but the are targeting unalarmed houses. Thx

ryananglem

25-08-2010 09:06 AM

I feel your pain. I got burgled a couple of years back and I imagine you are going through the same sickening feeling. I was very wary of anything out of the ordinary and had an irrational fear of leaving the house for weeks.

I came screaming out of the house one day brandishing a rolling pin thinking someone was trying to break in again, only to find a 5-6 year old kicking a football outside.

I hope you manage to get your life back to normal as soon as possible.

Erekose

25-08-2010 09:55 PM

Interesting and very depressing. See my post on the attempted burglary in Honor Oak for our experience of having our front door kicked in and two bikes stolen. [/u]

armadillo

29-08-2010 11:15 AM

Apologies for the late reply. The house came with a broken burglar alarm when we moved in at then end of last year so was never used. But I think that the key factor was that the alarm box was taken down at the moment as we are currently having the render on the front of the house replaced. Needless to say, this has since been rectified with a spanking new alarm system! Smile

spencerjohn2k

21-09-2010 03:12 PM

I moved into Forest Hill in 2009 after running pubs up and down the country with my pub dog (he's a Rottweiler). In April '09 I was woken by a group of lads at 3am trying to open my front door and they succeeded before my dog had a chance to bark. 2 of these lads came face to face with my Rottweiler and they ran like schoolgirls. I have since had a burglar alarm fitted so now double the protection. Thumbsup

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Warning for women around Forest Hill Rob36 0 2,756 01-10-2021 11:31 AM
Last Post: Rob36
  Pedestrian zone Forest Hill area wbrayn 2 3,715 15-11-2020 08:01 AM
Last Post: michael
  Warning from Police re Distraction Burglaries Snazy 0 3,446 16-10-2014 02:30 PM
Last Post: Snazy
  Over run by Dogs Poo in the Forest Hill area akua1974 6 7,359 01-02-2012 10:26 PM
Last Post: davidl
  Moving soon to Dartmouth Road area of Forest Hill anne1949 7 10,190 03-11-2011 10:13 AM
Last Post: anne1949
  Forest Hill Area Forum roz 5 7,567 28-01-2009 12:51 PM
Last Post: roz