SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Lewisham Boro Council not helping employment
brian

26-07-2009 06:38 PM

I was given to understand Lewisham had a quite high unemployment rate which is tragic
Twice recently I have dealt with the Council Tax Office and to my surprise it is based in Greater Manchester.
Why are not our council using our local people. Surely this is commonsense as by employing locals they will have more money to spend locally. Do they not have a duty also to employ locals.
No doubt I will be told it is cheaper. That would not be the case if the same wages were paid in both places.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ghis

27-07-2009 01:18 PM

Outside the fact that in this case it is a whole service (They are in Sale, just outside Manchester) in my experience a lot of people working for councils are not always people who live in that borough. I know some people who work for Southwark council but commute from Kent. Nothing stops you applying for a job for a specific council and to commute from across London.

In the case of the service above, the company they work for probably provide the same service to a lot of other councils accross the UK.

brian

28-07-2009 06:52 AM

I appreciate LBC cannot bar people from neighbouring areas from work but to place a whole contract 200 miles away is not quite the same.
Would be interested to know how many jobs have been lost because of this.

dbboy

07-08-2009 10:17 AM

LEWISHAM GOLD COMMUNITY PROJECT

brian

21-08-2009 12:36 PM

What does last posting mean , sorry for my ignorance.

dbboy

21-08-2009 06:46 PM

This post is NOT concerned with the outsourcing of the Lewishams Council Tax to Manchester, but rather about the work being done by the council to help those out of work to find jobs.

Lewisham Council have been seeking bids (closing date 14/08/2009) from organisations experienced in providing support to those who are unemployed and to help them return to work. This programme will be targeted at specific wards within the borough which exhibit high levels of unemployment. The programme will be aimed at providing employability support, i.e how to be successful at finding, securing and then maintaining employment for those involved. This will be a challenging task for the successful organisation.

See the following link for levels of unemployment in Lewisham. https://www.nomisweb.co.uk/reports/lmp/l...eport.aspx

brian

22-08-2009 07:01 AM

It is good news that Lewisham are trying to help there people getting into employment but still does not really explain why they are exporting jobs to Manchester.

roz

22-08-2009 12:27 PM

I suspect its probably aimed at keeping your Council Tax bill low, Brian, by moving to an area with lower running costs, lower salary expectations etc.! Best value in all Council services is also something that all Councils are required to obtain. I believe that most Councils outsource these things to a more centralised cost effective organisation for this purpose. We can't have it both ways.

Lewishams approach to assisting the jobless is good and certainly seems to compensate for the abysmal service offered by the Job Centres. Having been unemployed for over 6 months I can honestly say that the Job Centres offer little real help, just threats and punishment if you turn up 3 minutes late to sign on. Then the paperwork and attention really did flow! I had about three letters warning me that my JSA would be taken away. I suppose the extreme fuss over my ' crime' kept someone else in a job.

I did ask about training opportunities , cv writing, etc but nothing was on offer. I also asked about setting up job clubs so that people looking for work could meet in an unused part of the building and discuss strategies but this was refused. The staff although generally nice and helpful seemed ill equipped to assist the increased numbers who were signing on because of the recession many of whom had never been faced with this before hence did not have the skills or resources to market themselves effectively for the very few opportunities on offer. I had some help from my ex employer as part of my redundancy package which enabled me to seek some services privately but not everyone is so lucky, and its tough out there. If you don't get the attention of employers initially then you will never get through the barrier. They have record numbers of people after each job, many of whom havent the right skills, but its getting through the various filter systems that counts.

I have now got another job after a lot of graft but won't be getting complacent about it as the threat of cuts and future redundancies in certain sectors has not gone away by any means.

brian

23-08-2009 02:17 PM

Roz I agree with you the work is done in Manchester because they are charging less.

Surely they should pay the same rate in the borough. Must be better than being unemployed.

Also by transferring resources 200 miles away LBC might save a bit on the wages but create more social problems in the borough etc

nevermodern

23-08-2009 03:48 PM

I'm assuming they put the work out to tender, Brian, and the Manchester people came up with the best quote.

That's competition, fella, a concept you seem to find constantly attractive, unless it intefers with something else!

As Roz said, you can't have it both ways.

brian

24-08-2009 07:32 AM

Where have I said competition is the most important thing. Surely the unemployed of Lewisham come first.

Anyway I except no further point in this as council will not change policy. I suppose at least they are outsourcing in the UK of GB and NI

shzl400

24-08-2009 12:47 PM

Ever considered it's in Manchester so that disgruntled Lewisham residents don't turn up in person? (Well, at least not too often....)

p.s. Lambeth's accounts payable centre is in Leicester - they scan all the invoices and enter them onto a database and it's all electronic thereonin... Woe betide you if you don't include the purchase order number. I despair at the number of times invoices just seem to disappear between London and Leicester.Cursing

brian

24-08-2009 12:52 PM

That would be fine if Manchester's done in Lewisham

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lewisham council sets out second round of budget cuts proposals samuelsen 0 3,281 08-01-2021 12:22 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  £327.6k on Gagging Orders at Lewisham Council jgdoherty 0 3,547 01-12-2020 11:09 PM
Last Post: jgdoherty
  Lewisham Council Chief Exec steps down after 6 months samuelsen 4 6,665 04-04-2019 09:03 AM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Lewisham Council recycling survey - let them have your views samuelsen 1 4,593 23-02-2019 08:31 PM
Last Post: johnfbw
  Why does Lewisham Council need a Mayor and a Chief Executive samuelsen 4 5,416 03-03-2018 12:39 PM
Last Post: Hillman
  Lewisham Council consultation on changes to waste and recycling admin 5 7,057 10-09-2015 07:14 AM
Last Post: 152047
  Evict Foreign Nationals from Lewisham Council Homes, Demands MP Candidate George Whale 20 21,235 03-05-2015 07:11 AM
Last Post: pixysunflower
  Lewisham Council offers free biodiversity training admin 2 6,241 27-04-2015 11:08 AM
Last Post: Mr_Numbers
  Lewisham Council prepares for fake floods michael 7 8,757 08-03-2011 04:38 PM
Last Post: michael
  Lewisham Council Free Green Garden Waste Collection Sites councillorsusanwise 0 4,313 09-03-2010 08:21 PM
Last Post: councillorsusanwise
  Lewisham Homes or Lewisham Council spacey 5 9,486 11-06-2009 07:51 AM
Last Post: Sherwood