SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
World Cup Pubs
timbo

12-05-2014 03:10 PM

Does anybody know if any pubs in FH are showing World Cup games? The only one I know of is the Bricklayers but are there any others nearer the centre of FH?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
john-f

12-05-2014 09:54 PM

Does anybody know any decent pubs that are definitely NOT showing the world cup

timbo

13-05-2014 09:29 AM

Here you go (as far as I know);

The Railway Telegraph
The Dartmouth Arms
The Hob
The Bird In Hand
Sylvian Post
The Hill
All in One

Happy to help.

I think I've answered my own question there, haven't I?

robbrockley

13-05-2014 08:34 PM

All those to be avoided then. Wouldn't dream of going in a pub with a TV or showing football.

FH78

14-05-2014 07:26 AM

I think Timbo was naming the pubs not showing the football, so don't worry Rob, you can carry on as normal.

timbo

14-05-2014 08:23 AM

Thanks FH78. I should have made myself clearer.

It looks like I'll have to go further afield but there must be some in Forest Hill who would like to watch some of the World Cup. Given the size of the global audience some must live in FH.

Will any SE23ers be watching any of the World Cup? Please reply a simple 'yes' or 'no'. If there are sufficient 'yes' replies I'll apply for Dartmouth Road to be closed for three weeks and large TV screens erected. And I'll distribute free 'I Love FH' vuvuzelas to all residents. Any other suggestions out there?

MightyMouse

14-05-2014 09:34 AM

timbo, I have the unalloyed pleasure of working for one of the sponsors. We already have a huge stuffed cuddly mascot in the foyer, and are currently running an internal suggestion scheme about things to do to "celebrate". Three weeks of dress-down wearing your nation's colours, Brazilian food in the canteen, and national-themed cake baking are just a few of the suggestions so far... and then there's showing the 5pm matches on site too, of course.

You're welcome to my job for the duration, if you'd like?

ForestHillier

14-05-2014 09:44 AM

Well you either love it or hate it, and I love it, yet after watching a few games, fully expect that I will be bored

AndrewV

14-05-2014 10:34 AM

i heard the matches will finish quite late.what was the ruling about late licences?

marshall2k

14-05-2014 11:30 AM

Yes! Thumbsup

I would watch in town after work but late kick-offs don't fit that so well so I am also looking for an SE23 place to watch.

Pubs can stay open until 0100 if England game kicks off later than 2000 (source).

This post was last modified: 14-05-2014 11:30 AM by marshall2k.

Cheeky

14-05-2014 12:07 PM

Up Honor Oak way there's a few places. I'm not 100% sure about all world cup games but Donde and HOP Scotch I know play the football regularly, not sure about late licences though. The General Napier will no doubt be playing it also.

There's always the Chandos Scared

Pubs not showing the world cup are missing a trick if you ask me

timbo

14-05-2014 01:51 PM

The General Napier is a good idea. I think I'll pop in to check.

Thanks for the job offer MM but I think I'll pass. All sounds a bit much to me but good luck.

Foresthillier, It can get boring if you watch every game so I'll be selective. I heard that when Peter Ried was a pundit for the BBC in 2006 and was on his second or third game of the day, the commentator said something like "Well, Peter, this World Cup really has turned out to be as spectacular as predicted and we are lucky to be here to see so many fantastic games". Peter Ried replied, "To be honest I think you can have too much sometimes". *silence*.

hopscotch cafe bar

14-05-2014 06:26 PM

we will also be showing the world cup ...and have a late license for the 1st match ! we have a large wall mounted flat screen too,

SeanThomas

14-05-2014 08:58 PM

Pubs that normally show sport in FH:

- All in one has several TVs and is good for sport.
- Blythe Hill Tavern is my favourite for football but it's pretty cosy
- Prince of Wales and Perry Hill both nearer Sydenham show football too. The former is small but busy, the latter larger.
- Bird in the hand opposite a Sylvan Post shows it too but always looked a bit rough.

There are a few pubs towards Sydenham that do too. Not sure if any of them will extend their hours for the late games though...?

ForestHillier

15-05-2014 01:27 PM

Foresthillier, It can get boring if you watch every game so I'll be selective. I heard that when Peter Ried was a pundit for the BBC in 2006 and was on his second or third game of the day, the commentator said something like "Well, Peter, this World Cup really has turned out to be as spectacular as predicted and we are lucky to be here to see so many fantastic games". Peter Ried replied, "To be honest I think you can have too much sometimes". *silence*.

Very true - just in case you were not aware, the England v Italy on Saturday 14th June kicks off at 23.00

I do recall sitting up watching the England v Portugal in 1986 world cup, that kicked off at 23.30

manor mountie

15-05-2014 05:57 PM

If I remember correctly most pubs in forest hill showed the football at the last world cup, even the Dartmouth arms had a telly in for the duration, would expect the hob the capitol the bird and the foresters all to be showing football during normal opening hours.

hillwalker

15-06-2014 08:18 PM

So, did anyone head to the pub to watch the England game? Was thinking of going for the Thursday game but not sure where to go.

SeanThomas

16-06-2014 01:04 PM

I went to the Blythe Hill Tavern.

Was very good, not so busy that you couldn't get served but not quiet enough that there was no atmosphere. Volume was up loud and ended up chatting to the guys all around me. It's usually the sign of a good atmosphere I think when the party you're with end up spending half the time talking to random strangers at the bar instead!

Love the pub anyhow but will try and catch more games in there for sure...

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields