SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 Next > Last »
No Overground or Rail this Weekend
daveherne

15-05-2014 03:24 PM

details of closure here:

going on until October...

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/doc...osures.pdf

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rshdunlop

15-05-2014 03:56 PM

I've posted that link before. It does go on until October, but not every weekend on our part of the line.

I use the train most at the weekends so it is a colossal pain, but what can you do? I'll be giving my OH a lift to Peckham on Saturday so he can pick up the Overground there to get to Wembley.

michael

15-05-2014 04:10 PM

Chris88 wrote:
2 weeks ago - no trains
Last week - no trains
This weekend - no trains
Weekend of 24th - no trains
Weekend of 31st - overground only
Weekend of 7th - overground only

Southern Claim to be running on 31st May but not on 1st June

So to continue this at least on Overground (no information on Southern beyond July):
14 Jun - All running
21 Jun - Southern Only
28 Jun until 9th Aug - overground running
6th,19th,20th July, 3rd Aug - overground only
16 Aug - no overground (don't know about Southern)
End of August Southern go crazy for a week (no trains for a whole week) but Overground will run
6 Sept - no overground (don't know about Southern)
13 Sept - no overground (don't know about Southern)
20 Sept - overground running (don't know about Southern)
27 Sept - no overground (don't know about Southern)

rbmartin

15-05-2014 07:21 PM

When the line closes at weekends, the 176 and 185 buses especially get busier, while the rail replacement buses appear to be quiet.

A 20 minute bus ride to Peckham Rye or Denmark Hill is preferable to riding the rail replacement bus to New Cross Gate, then another bus to Canada Water.

For those HOP passengers, I suspect walking down to Stondon Park and getting the 171/172 to New Cross is preferable to waiting for the bus to slowly arrive from West Croydon?

This post was last modified: 15-05-2014 07:21 PM by rbmartin.

rshdunlop

15-05-2014 07:41 PM

You can take the rail replacement to New Cross Gate, walk to New Cross and pick up the Overground there.

squashst

19-05-2014 09:22 AM

Just wish they could get London Bridge working properly after engineering work. Stuck in yet another train stack outside Lon Bridge. Journeys of 4 mins or so from HOP not good! The train provider has provided the following info. There are too many trains and too few platforms. Can't fault that.[/b]

nottinghillbilly

19-05-2014 10:38 PM

My journey to work in the west end was hell yesterday morning.
no overground or southern trains from FH ...ok I'll go to West Dulwich get the victoria train then the underground to work as I did on saturday,
checked train times in Sunday from West Dulwich...whoopsCursing...no trains..just a bus service to Blackfriars, then a train into Victoria.
No good to me would take too long, SO I decided I'd get a train from East Dulwich into London Bridge and then get the Jubilee Line...checked train times...What on earth???!!!Cursing...No southern trains into London Bridge!
This left me with long bus rides as my only option to get into work on time.
Fortunately on the way home at 7pm I was lucky enough to secure a lift from Canada Water to Forest Hill.
Had this not happened I was looking at a long walk to catch the 176 or getting the 12 to Dulwich Library and walking from there.
I normally love living here but I must confess this past weekend I really felt stranded out in the sticksThumbdown

rshdunlop

19-05-2014 10:47 PM

Were there not trains from New Cross yesterday? I didn't check, but they were running on Saturday, so as per my post above, one option was to take the rail replacement bus to New Cross Gate, walk to New Cross and pick up the Overground there. Also, the Overground through East Dulwich and Peckham was operating on Saturday. OH used it to get to Wembley!

This post was last modified: 19-05-2014 10:52 PM by rshdunlop.

rbmartin

19-05-2014 11:14 PM

nottinghillbilly, the Overground to Clapham Junction was running all weekend, so you could have bussed it to Peckham Rye or Denmark Hill as I did two weeks ago. Of course it was slightly longer, but better than using the rail bus services.

Poppy9560

20-05-2014 12:16 PM

yes trains were running to New Cross from London Bridge on Sunday

ChrisR

21-05-2014 10:11 AM

For those near the 185, 171 bus or 75 bus routes it's also worth considering taking a bus to Catford Bridge, and then the train to London Bridge or Charing Cross. Sunderland Road to a theatre in the Strand took 50 minutes at 1200 last Saturday afternoon.

rbmartin

29-05-2014 06:56 PM

During the big August closure of London Bridge, London Overground services from FH/HOP will be 10 trains per hour on weekdays, with a queuing system put in at our stations to reduce overcrowding.

This has been achieved by diverting the lightly used New Cross services to Crystal Palace.

http://thameslinkprogramme.co.uk/node/128

clausy

30-05-2014 10:41 AM

While we're on the subject of New Cross trains that always seem to have a maximum of 2 people on them to go the one stop past Canada Water, I wish they'd at least alternate the trains that go South to FH. Currently the Clapham and New Cross trains follow each other, then you get Crystal Palace and West Croyden (whichever way round it is) so potentially if you just miss one of them you have to wait for 2 trains to go by before the next one comes along. It's mildly frustrating. Glare

rbmartin

31-05-2014 04:15 PM

Just a small correction, the Overground trains will be 12 trains per hour on weekdays, not ten during the LB closure.

nottinghillbilly

31-05-2014 07:22 PM

Totally agree with Clausey's statement.
especially as New Cross station is two mins walk from New Cross gate.
This is even more annoying after 10pm at night when the trains are less frequent.

squashst

01-06-2014 08:32 AM

Picked up a leaflet on the extension of Overground to 5 carriage trains. It says that Canada Water is one of the stations with platforms that cannot be extended (Wapping / Rotherhithe also). At these stations the doors of the 5th carriage will be kept closed and an announcement made for passengers to make their way to the 4th carriage if they want to disemabark.

Boy, that sounds like a recipe for chaos at Canada Water especially in the morning peak (throw in the inadequate single escalator as well).

Chris88

06-06-2014 01:17 PM

That seems so stupid. Why wouldn't they just not open the first 2 doors of the front carriage and last door of the last carriage. Instead of leaving the doors closed on a whole carriage. Morons.

My guess is they'd have to move some equipment around which they can't be bothered spending money on.

michael

06-06-2014 02:02 PM

My understanding was that Canada Water, Wapping, and Surrey Quays were getting platform extensions, but not Rotherhithe.

Where there is selective door opening it may well be that the last carriage will not have doors that open, the avoids moving the signalling equipment (and driver) into the tunnel. But one of the great things about Overground trains is how easy it is to move from one carriage to another as you approach your destination. Not that this would be suitable at Canada Water, the busiest station on the network, but it would work at Rotherhithe, which is much quieter.

Baboonery

06-06-2014 02:08 PM

Continually surprised at how often and how seriously people understimate how far apart NX and NXG are.

rshdunlop

06-06-2014 05:04 PM

It's ten minutes walk between NX and NXG. I know this because my husband is sometimes a ninny and gets on a NX train by mistake. He then hoofs it over to NXG.

If you use NX and then have a walk in the other direction, then using NXG instead will add ten minutes to your journey.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields