SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
India Gate Restaurant
nottinghillbilly

17-04-2014 10:07 PM

I have noticed that The India Gate restaurant on London road has a sign in the window announcing they are under new management.
We always really enjoyed eating there before and are cautious about returning now in case the food isn't as good and the dishes are "same sauce different name".
Has anyone eaten there since the new people took over?
would you recommend it?
Any feedback appreciated.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BringOutTheCranston

18-04-2014 08:32 AM

There was a thread on indian take-aways last year but not on restaurants so would be interested if you go back in and find that it's good.

We used to like the Dewaniam but since their schism although the food remained good the place was like a morgue. For the same reason I have never been in Elachi as it never has any customers.

The Dartmouth Tandoori has really friendly staff and good service but the food is pretty greasy.

Let us know how you get on returning to the Indian Gate as I have a curry feeling coming on.

doc

18-04-2014 09:00 AM

I certainly won't be visiting The India Gate until I've seen the results of their next hygiene inspection ...

http://ratings.food.gov.uk/business/en-G...e-Lewisham

Londondrz

18-04-2014 09:07 AM

Doc, that review was Jan 2012, you may want to point that out. 15 months and new owners is a loooooong time in the restaurant trade.

We had a take away from them two weeks ago and it was pretty good, not up to Elachi standards but then we have used Elachi for 14 years.

doc

18-04-2014 09:20 AM

Granted, but it appears they have chosen not to exercise their right for a reinspection yet ...

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/hygien...s/re-visit

Londondrz

18-04-2014 04:04 PM

If memory serves they have been there 3 weeks, giv em a chanceLaugh

nottinghillbilly

18-04-2014 06:06 PM

Agree re; Dartmouth tandoori, lovely staff but food too greasy for me actually made me feel quite rotten!
Ate at Elachi a while ago and was underwhelmed.
must confess have eaten at India Gate many times under previous management and never once got an upset tummy.
It would actually be useful if the gov food hygiene ratings site was like the ones in the US where they give you a detailed breakdown of what warranted the low score....ie; mouse droppings, poor storage and refrigeration etc etc...its quite sobering reading!Ohmy

Jane_D

19-04-2014 08:16 AM

About Elachi - it often is strangely, empty especially early evenings, but the food is delicious and the staff very pleasant. I think they do most their business by takeaway. We eat there about once a month and always enjoy it.

showtunesgirl

24-04-2014 10:11 PM

I had a delivery from them last week and it was excellent. The new chef seems to know what he's doing. Thumbup

nottinghillbilly

25-04-2014 11:59 AM

thanks for info...I really hope they do well 'cos I find Dartmouth Tandoori so greasy.

BringOutTheCranston

25-04-2014 07:05 PM

@nottinghillbilly

Did you go there yet?

nottinghillbilly

25-04-2014 10:31 PM

Hi,
No not yet...waiting for pay day...sad but true!

Sam76

27-04-2014 07:08 PM

We love the Elachi. Great food and friendly staff.

Morriorl

28-04-2014 11:33 AM

Went on Saturday night and it was great. I can actually use the term 'best curry ever'. I had the scallops, followed by chicken hyderali (spelling may be wrong) and I could taste each and every herb and spice. It was divine!!! The management are really friendly and have another restaurant in Battersea. They previously worked in Dubai and Mumbai. You can also watch your food cooking as they have CCTV into the kitchen!!! Can't recommend India Gate highly enough. They even threw in a free pudding as it was my first trip.

nevermodern

28-04-2014 12:56 PM

I'm gonna try them at the weekend - picked up the menu and some of the dishes look a little more unusual than the standard. There seem to be some nice-sounding Nepalese and Goan dishes for example.

nottinghillbilly

28-04-2014 06:00 PM

Yes, We thought The menu looked better than your average curry place.
Great...Pay day Wednesday,
Curry On Friday...YAY!!!!

Poppy9560

29-04-2014 12:45 PM

where is it? I haven't had a takeaway for ages....................

nottinghillbilly

29-04-2014 04:38 PM

Its on London Road,
Opposite Sainsburys between Pedders and The Butchery

MrsR

30-04-2014 09:11 PM

Both my husband and I received a text yesterday from India gate 30% off online orders over £20. I have never used them and have no idea how they got my number.

SeanThomas

25-05-2014 08:32 AM

They may have got your number if you've ordered through hungryhorse or justeat I guess? I've had that before...

Popped in there yesterday after this thread and the wife and I were very impressed. Been spoiled by good Indian restaurants wherever we've lived in London but this seemed like it could be right up there. Went for a few dishes we'd not heard of before (courgette aloo, chicken hiryali, spinach cheese dumplings) and all were excellent. Not greasy either, that kinda curry that you don't feel really guilty after eating!

Preferred it to Cinnamon, the takeaway branch of Babur and Gurkhas Flavour. Will give it another go and see if it can beat Barrakah on the everyday dishes...

Nice owner too. Said takeaway was going well but not dining in so much. I suggested he join this board and he apparently has, but is having trouble logging in and posting. So in his absence, I'd say all you curry loving FHillers should definitely give it a go!

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields