SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
To the owners of the pizza place @ The Old Bank
hoona

16-04-2014 03:29 PM

A tweet from them... "it is on the list but the product and internals are our first priority"
Fair enough I say...

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hasto

16-04-2014 03:36 PM

Its definitely worth a visit if anyone hasn't been, the pizza's are extremely good, served in a very friendly atmosphere, great addition to the area.....

davidbent

19-04-2014 05:09 PM

I had an excellent family lunch there yesterday. They were full, so we were at the bar and got chatting to one of the co-founders. They do plan to do the outside soon. Just a question of timing and the cashflows of a young business.

Personally I've had 2 meals and 1 takeaway. Food: excellent. Service: friendly. Overall experience: brilliant.

Apparently they've employed local people as waiters / chefs. Also said they wanted a pace with community and had tracked the local online forums. They liked the protect against Dominos, and are hoping for a positive reception.

sydenhamcentral

23-04-2014 10:22 AM

How shops present themselves is incredibly important, both to the business in question and the street as a whole.

New businesses should invest in how they present themselves. It doesn't have to cost much either. Part of the reason why high streets are struggling is because area feel shabby because of how the shops make the area feel.

But I don't think this place looks that bad at present and sometimes it's best to open, iron out all the problems new businesses have, build up positive word of mouth and then work on the presentation of the businesses. Both should work together.

I find it weird that people would think that it's ok to open a shop and make it look scruffy and unloved. Honor Oak is looking quite funky these days. We looked to move there 6 years ago when we escaped Brockley but it got too expensive, but the high street looks better now than it did then overall. Ofter passing though it left a good impression and would entice me to go there to try some of the interesting places to eat/drink there because of how some of the shops presented themselves.

It's brilliant that it's not dominated by Domino's and I wish this new venture all the best, and if they need a hand with their signage, get in touch.

BillieJameson

17-05-2014 02:16 PM

You are clearly doing something right. We thought we'd pop in last night but the place was heaving - people enjoying the sun outside and a queue. So will have to try another night. Luckily there was room in Donde. Delicious food and good beer.

paull

13-09-2014 12:19 PM

We visited here for the first time last night, food was excellent and the staff were really nice too.

One thing that we found a bit disturbing was that what seemed to be the manager of the place was standing in the middle of the bar area, constantly telling his staff what they were doing wrong. The way he was talking to them it was almost as if it was everyone's first day on the job, created an oppressive atmosphere and made us feel uncomfortable for the staff. Was like having Darth Vader in the room, albeit in a crimson jumper.

Will go again midweek hopefully it will feel a little more relaxed.

benoit89

14-09-2014 07:38 AM

Not on SE23 that often, and I am so surprised in a bad way to see so many negative comments about Sodo and the look of the restaurant!

What do people want in HOP? would another empty shop be better than a somewhat scruffy looking, trendy, active and popular pizza place? And what if the scruffy look is part of the all offer and experience? Come on HOPer, be grateful and show we can welcome new ventures on the Parade!

Rant finished! hahahah

Growlybear

16-09-2014 09:16 PM

I really couldn't care less about the appearance of Sodo Pizza - their pizzas are probably the best I've ever tasted, service is remarkably quick and friendly, and the prices are very reasonable. The only problem is that the pizzas are so good, I'm eating far too many of them!

star

16-09-2014 09:21 PM

Couldn't agree more!

Margo100

16-09-2014 09:39 PM

Couldn't agree more !! Some people will never be satisfied ! Get a life winge bags! Good job Sodo!

Tinkerbell

18-09-2014 11:42 AM

I agree, I can't quite understand the fuss, either. Sodo looks more or less like The Old Bank used to look, when it was still there as a working resto. I actually quite like the slightly shabby-chic charm it has. As and when they decide to refurb - great, although frankly, I'd still go for some food there if they decided to de-re-brand and simply call it..."The Old Bank", or "Italian Med" or whatever it still says outside. Or Sodo. Whichever. The point for me is that in its current state, it still looks a hell of a lot better (with people/tables inside, nice windows, and people/tables in front during the summer) than Dominos garish shopfront would have ever looked. Just my 2ct.

shzl400

18-09-2014 07:30 PM

I'm not fussed about the decor, but they really should remove the temporary (intended for use while building works in progress) cover on the smoke detector. Trading standards/building control would not be impressed.

That having been said, I wish them all the best and the bums on seats speak for themselves. However, myself and pizza-loving family will not be rushing back. Though the pizzas were nice, the 'extras', drinks and desserts were incredibly pricey, for what they were (especially the 'salad', which was particularly poor) and too limited in choice.

Hint - the ginger beer could do with a couple of spoons of sugar and fizzy rather than flat water and it would be amazing - think ginger, (rather than mint) virgin Mojito. But as was, almost undrinkable.

Iceman

19-09-2014 02:19 PM

How about talking the place up rather than talking it down with inane comments about ginger beer. It's got good food, atmosphere, character and is competitively priced. What more can you really ask for in a high street such as ours.

Yes a nice sign would be an addition but I think they're probably looking to recoup their investment first.

RussB

19-09-2014 07:27 PM

The sides include taking mozzarella and stuffing it with cream. I'm not sure you can overcharge for that :D

lacb

20-09-2014 08:07 AM

Yes, a rebrand will be nice when it happens but in the meantime SoDo are doing a great job IMO. I happen to like the home made ginger beer and think the tiramisu is to die for. Oh and the pizzas are excellent.

We are very fortunate to have two top notch pizza sources locally (also Le Querce but not on Friday and Saturday IIRC).

mickeymonkey

17-10-2014 10:22 AM

I am really very surprised that there would be a negative post about the signage of a wonderful new addition to the area.

This restaurant is simply great. The pizza is fantastic. The service is fantastic. The prices are fantastic!

It is not owned by a large chain.

I have been thrilled to have a decent place to eat in my local area because, in my view, Honor Oak has been sadly lacking for a long time. It's also great to see some other local establishments profiting from Sodo's overspill.

I hope they keep the original Old Bank sign. And as for removing the Italian Restaurant sign......um pizza?!

Keep going Sodo, you are very welcome!

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields