SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
To the owners of the pizza place @ The Old Bank
Southlonder

11-04-2014 12:32 PM

It has been weeks since you opened. Can I suggest that you buy some paint, paint over "The Old Bank". Then paint your new name, and remove references to "Italian Restaurant"

It isn't rocket science, and you currently look like a pop up and not a real business.

This post was last modified: 11-04-2014 12:32 PM by Southlonder.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BringOutTheCranston

11-04-2014 02:36 PM

Maybe they are letting the food speak for itself.

I haven't been in yet though so I can't comment on their dining experience.

Ponyboy

11-04-2014 07:30 PM

I think that's a bit harsh. Running a business is no easy thing - just look around at local empty commercial premises and the fact the site was vacant for so long. I think it's great they've moved in and it's so great to have local businesses and not identikit poor quality chains. Would we rather have Dominos with lots of money to spend on neon and mopeds?

helenS29

12-04-2014 08:33 AM

It is technically still an Italian Restaurant...

bonobo

12-04-2014 11:33 AM

I agree with Pony Boy.
Sodo Pizza is a rather young business. This is their second and latest restaurant opened, so a significant investment for them. Surely, they have in mind these changes to be done. We just have to give them more time. They deliver on the quality, taste and good service, and this is the most important because as long as they continue on that, they will have lots of customers and be able to stay on the parade.

Red77

12-04-2014 07:41 PM

Hats off to them for making the investment and taking on The Old Bank premises and it looks to be having a successful start. But I was also starting to think they might leave the tired frontage in its current state and try and pass it off as part of a minimalist renovation but I'm sure they won't want it looking like a pop up shop from the outside. No doubt they will give it a lick of paint and some signage in the next few weeks and I am really looking forward to trying it out what they have to offer.

Ponyboy

13-04-2014 07:17 PM

Despite all the recent Government efforts it's still very difficult for small businesses to raise capital so, if we want good quality local businesses then let's give them support and time if we like what they do. Otherwise we'll end up with only those institutions large enough to provide capital to cover the start up period. This would mean one of two things. Either we have derelict premises, OR we have an identikit high street with sub standard identikit chain food and commercial outlets.
I was in Greenwich for the marathon today and Jamie's has just opened. Lots of money for decor and promotion, but the food is WAY below the standard of either Le Querce or Sodo pizza.

roadrummer

13-04-2014 07:45 PM

I think Sodo can do whatever they like. They have taken a risk with the old bank and so far they are providing excellent food and a new community space. Giving them a hard time about the status of corporate signage. Really?

Anotherjohn

13-04-2014 08:07 PM

Quote:
...and you currently look like a pop up and not a real business

Would the notion of a pop-restaurant put me off going in? No.
I have seen so many businesses splash out on image when there's actually no substance behind the facade but by all accounts this is a decent restaurant, which means that they've invested well in the things that matter most to them and to their paying customers. So what if they haven't got around to doing the sign yet? They pay the rent and rates on the premises so it's their prerogative to develop their business entirely at a pace that suits them. Whatever the reason for the lack of signage, I wish them well regardless.

This post was last modified: 13-04-2014 08:13 PM by Anotherjohn.

wuluf

14-04-2014 08:30 AM

What would be nice if they had a menu and prices advertised on the window. Not knowing their selection and cost is what putting me off from trying them out.

doc

14-04-2014 08:51 AM

Quote:
What would be nice if they had a menu and prices advertised on the window. Not knowing their selection and cost is what putting me off from trying them out.

This appears to be required practice:

Quote:
GUIDANCE NOTE ON THE PRICE MARKING (FOOD AND DRINK SERVICES) ORDER 2003

Article 7

18: The place at which prices must be indicated depends on whether they apply to an eating, supply or take-away area:

• For an eating area, prices must be shown at or near the entrance so that the prospective consumer can see them before he enters; a restaurant with direct access to the street will therefore be required to show prices so that they are visible from the street

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.u...le8177.pdf

mrm1ag1

14-04-2014 09:23 AM

You could just look on their website to find out the prices.

sixer

14-04-2014 02:00 PM

I thought it did have a menu next to the door.

But I'd recommend you just go in anyway.

Hats off to them; fix the signage whenever they can.

Medley

14-04-2014 02:05 PM

Given they look to have more demand than they can quite cope with still, the signage is probably not their priority.

The food and service are consistently excellent and good respectively. Surely that's what matters.

MessyMessy

15-04-2014 05:09 PM

I agree with the OP -- the frontage could really use some paint. Since they're only open three days a week, I think they've got the time.

If they have two locations now, how many more locations can they open before they officially become an Evil Corporate Chain? Or does leaving the empty sauce cans on the sidewalk and invitation to "do something creative" provide them with full indemnification from chain status?

BringOutTheCranston

16-04-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:
Since they're only open three days a week, I think they've got the time.

I hear it on good authority that they are just sitting around 4 days a week just trying to work out how to spend their ill gotten pizza gains.

These people are evil!

They come around here investing their own hard earned capital and turning a run down shop into a lively and thriving business.

Who asked them to offer jobs to our young people. We certainly didn't want somewhere to have an evening out. We'd rather the place stayed empty or even better if it was turned into a pizza delivery outlet. Then we'd never have to bother going out and the little mopeds could scoot around all night bringing junk food to us.

Scum, utter scum!

hoona

16-04-2014 09:16 AM

MessyMessy - they're actually open 5 days a week. And the pizza is delicious, have you been yet?

HOPlocal

16-04-2014 11:53 AM

BringOutTheCranston...Love it!Smile

hairyboggart

16-04-2014 12:52 PM

How dare they only open 5 days a week, surely all businesses are open 24/7 these days, i want to be able to order one of their delicious pizzas any time of the day or night. The John Bon Chovi is especially good.

Chris88

16-04-2014 12:59 PM

I don't think they care TBH. It's part of the "coolness". Given it's packed everytime I walk by, they are doing something right.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields