SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Barking Dogs
robbrockley

09-04-2014 08:56 PM

Help please. My lovely neighbours who I have lived next to for 25 years and get on with really well, have 3 large dogs. Most of the time they are fine. But when they go out and leave the dogs in the evening they bark. And bark. And bark. And bark. For hours. Really really loudly. Did I say, for hours? Last Friday for about 6 hours. Tonight for about 2 so far. They obviously have no idea this happens as the dogs stop when they come home. What do I do? Should I talk to them or ignore it? I'm not sure what they can do other than never go out. Or train their dogs? (I should say I am not an animal lover so would be happiest if they didn't have them but know that is completely intolerant.) This has gone on for a few years now but it is now getting to me.

Is there any law about dog noise?

Just to not help, someone nearby has a car alarm that keeps going off - three times yesterday and three times this evening. Aghhhhhhh!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gbrownings

09-04-2014 09:16 PM

Of course you must speak to them. I would be horrified if my dog was barking away all the time I was out and would want to know.

In my view it is wrong to leave dogs by themselves for 6 hours anyway - there are plenty of dog sitters in the area.

Suspect the RSPCA would be interested if dogs were being regularly left alone for that long.

Or try https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/e...fault.aspx

Jane_D

09-04-2014 10:30 PM

I agree the owners need to know, both that their pets are distressed and that you are being driven mad by them. Sounds as if you have a good relationship with your neighbours so hopefully it will OK. Good luck.

Snazy

09-04-2014 11:09 PM

It's a complex situation with regards to animal welfare. A dog barking is not considered a cruelty issue, and doesn't directly indicate a dog is simply distressed. RSPCA will not get involved due to barking, and as long as the dogs have water, shelter and are not in danger, the best they will do is leave a card.

I have 2 dogs who are left for various periods of time a day, there have been some very long periods in the past due to extreme reasons, but in general I keep it to a minimum.

You would be surprised how few dog owners know anything of their dogs behaviour when they are gone. Most assume if all is well when they leave the house, that's how it remains. How wrong some can be.

Even as a dog lover I find dogs barking constantly an irritation, so can empathise with the OP about this totally.

Hope you find a solution to it, but don't rest too much hope on legislation or rules, it's just not there.

Snazy

09-04-2014 11:12 PM

PS, yes talk to them about it, a simple chat could open their eyes to a world they are unaware of. With regards to training the dogs and changing their ways, that's a whole different ball game, but hope for everyone's sake there is a way to calm the situation.

Jane_D

10-04-2014 07:06 AM

I don't know much about dogs, Snazy, but I would have thought that a dog who had been barking for hours would probably be exhausted and maybe have a sore throat, even if the barking wasn't directly in response to being distressed. Does it not work like that?

Either way, it must be infuriating for the neighbours.

Londondrz

10-04-2014 09:39 AM

As already discussed if you have a good relationship with your neighbours then I see no reason why you should not be able to mention this to them.

They may have no idea at all and I am sure will want to keep the good relationship you have.

mcbain23

10-04-2014 10:49 AM

As well as talking to them you could present some evidence - if you can hear the barking through the walls then your smartphone (if you have one) should also pick it up - try recording a good 30 seconds or so then play it back to them. Or you could invite them over for a cuppa so they can experience it first hand??

Jane_D

10-04-2014 10:54 AM

What a brilliant idea, if the barking starts as soon as they leave the house. Or if it takes a while to start up, maybe the neighbours could pop in on their way home to have a listen.

I'm supposed to be working, but this question is much more interesting.

Snazy

10-04-2014 02:32 PM

Jane, a dog can bark to its hearts content for a long time. Really depends on its intentions and volume.
Thankfully the breed I have are not big barkers, but for most dogs, barking is as hard to do for them as speaking is for us.

If however it is distressed and has no water etc, then after some time it can start to hurt them... But like most dog injuries, it wont stop them.

Really do hope its resolved amicably

Deffo a good idea to let them hear from your place, or play them a recording.

This post was last modified: 10-04-2014 02:33 PM by Snazy.

robbrockley

10-04-2014 08:40 PM

Thanks for the responses and ideas. I will take it up with them - gently. I don't think the dogs are distressed - they are inside, and i am sure they have water. They certainly look healthy and are out for walks several times a day. I just think they have no idea because there is no way they can know about this.

Jane_D

10-04-2014 10:40 PM

Thanks Snazy.

Snazy

11-04-2014 03:28 PM

Nice to see someone being sensible about the problem like this Rob, rather than the usual moan with no thoughts.

Really do hope that you get a quieter time, and the neighbour is able to make some correction for the problem. They may even be quite distressed to learn of their behaviour.

All the best.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields