SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
slow trains Monday
michael

31-03-2014 07:03 AM

Worth taking overground this morning, unless you like sitting on a train just outside London bridge.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
admin
Administrator

31-03-2014 07:58 AM

Network Rail say a problem at London Bridge is affecting a few platforms. Engineers are working on it and services are being delayed into London Bridge.

squashst

31-03-2014 10:44 AM

Having got caught in a 40 min "train stack today", the Crofton Park / Blackfriars link is one I may use more - its a longer journey into work (I live in HOP, work close to Globe Theartre / Tate Modern) but am losing any confidence in Lon Bridge ability to promptly receive incoming trains in the morning peak.

OakR

31-03-2014 12:03 PM

The normal London Bridge train at 7.29 this morning appeared to be stopping at New Cross Gate. The overground was pretty packed on the 7.36am train, but the driver made most of us laugh when we got stuck and he announced 'we are currently stuck, probably behind a late running southern train, as normal' Smile

squashst

31-03-2014 01:08 PM

From southern website:
We would like to apologise to passengers for the severe disruption caused by problems at London Bridge this morning.

While Network Rail successfully commissioned two new platforms as part of the Thameslink Programme, unfortunately shortly before 06 30 this morning the work resulted in major signalling and power problems halving the number of platforms available for use during much of the morning peak. As a result Southern services were diverted, terminated short or cancelled.

While Network Rail managed to restore two of the affected platforms, the remaining one is likely to be unavailable for the rest of today and passengers travelling through London Bridge will continue to experience delays.

Network Rail hopes to rectify the problem overnight and allow us to run a normal service tomorrow morning. Passengers are, however, advised to check Southern’s website before travelling.

michael

31-03-2014 02:54 PM

Cancellations this evening:
17:06 London Bridge to West Croydon
17:36 London Bridge to West Croydon
18:06 London Bridge to West Croydon
18:36 London Bridge to West Croydon
19:20 London Bridge to West Croydon

And probably delays and overcrowding if you do choose to use London Bridge.

Use Overground if you can.

rbmartin

31-03-2014 04:46 PM

London Overground are adding additional services to West Croydon to compensate for the above Southern cancellations, starting from New Cross Gate.

Southern tickets are valid on the Jubilee and ELL via Canada Water.

MightyMouse

31-03-2014 07:09 PM

It's just a theory, but I reckon when things like this happen, Southern are only too happy to cancel the trains that stop at FH etc. "Oh, they've got the Overground, they won't mind." Except they forget how tiny the Overground trains are compared to those lovely 10-carriage Southern beauties.

Which is how come I watched lots and lots of Southern trains go by this morning on the "fast" line, i.e. trains were still running - kinda, whilst not being able to actually get on an Overground train at all due to their massive overcrowding.

Disclaimer: some I couldn't actually physically get on. Others I had no desire to try, what with being 4'11" and quite enjoying oxygen.

In the end I got the Overground to Crystal Palace, and stayed on as it set off back the other way - result, and definitely my future tactic!

michael

01-04-2014 06:21 AM

Trains this morning (Tuesday 1st April) are subject to some diversions until 12noon. Trains from Forest Hill to London Bridge are diverted to East Croydon where you can pick up fast trains to Victoria.
As a result some trains will be in the wrong places on the network, resulting in all trains to East Croydon being diverted to London Bridge, from where they will be fast to Gatwick.
all tickets will be accepted for travel on the Bakerfool line.

philip

01-04-2014 10:36 AM

Seems all ok now. My FH train came into platform 11 (the one they'd lost the power to) on time. Still, the two new platforms have a nice shiny surface and they've pretty quickly pulled up the rails on 12&13.

MessyMessy

01-04-2014 09:11 PM

My Travel Options:

Option 1: A ten/eleven minute journey in a new-ish Southern train to London Bridge and seats are generally available (because everyone has given up on this unreliable service). Nine times out of ten, this train will be at least a bit late with the occasional joy of a completely disastrous 20-60 minute delay. Bonus: on the way home you can watch the HOPpers have their own little Olympics to see who can get up the stairs first.

Option 2: Cram into a sweaty hot Overground train and enjoy the occasional 20 minutes parked underground with no air at all and people waving around their phones in a vain attempt to get a signal, because they are VERY IMPORTANT. Note that delays will spiral out of control as people trapped on trains turn into delays due to passengers taken ill. Bonus: If you are going to be ill, you might get the chance to be ill on a really expensive pair of shoes.

Option 3: Walk an extra three minutes to Crofton Park and travel to Farringdon on one of the smelliest trains you'll ever meet. Get crammed in only to be trampled by hospital staff trying to get out at Denmark Hill. Bonus: this is the train to be on if you're going keel over -- can't shake a Metro without hitting someone from the hospital.

Why are these services so horrible?

john-f

01-04-2014 09:27 PM

Option 4: ride a bike!

nottinghillbilly

01-04-2014 10:00 PM

The overground is shockingly overcrowded, and it just seems to be getting worse! even if I get a 7am train from Forest Hill there is rarely a seat, and what makes it even more miserable is having people squeeze and push to get on by the time it reaches Brockley leaving me close to throwing up on occasion because of having no space to breathe or move and having someones rancid breath in my face.
To add insult to injury when you change at Canada Water you have to face the ludicrous scramble to get on the down escalator with still more pushing and shoving.
All in all its deeply unpleasant.
Sadly I can't ride a bike or I would!Sad

rbmartin

01-04-2014 11:58 PM

The West Croydon Overground trains will be getting an extra carriage from December, so that more people can cram in. These will be gradually introduced to the Crystal Palace trains in 2015.

This will be even more important when the London Bridge works close the platform to Charing Cross for a year in January, which will put even more pressure on the Overground trains.

squashst

02-04-2014 06:56 AM

Trains to London Bridge are much less crowded (though with annoying gaps in timings) and obviously can transfer to Jubilee/Northern. So less fractious than the Overground to Canada Square) - but of course L Br is Zone 1 whilst Can Sq is Zone 2.

The lack of interchange at London Bridge for Waterloo East / Charing Cross from Jan 2015 for a year to 18 months will be a nightmare and expect many more posts on this later in the year! Finding out alternative train routes e.g. from Catford, Crofton Park, Penge East, Lower Sydenham etc may make more sense than trying to cram onto even more crowded tube / Overground. Or prepare for a brisk, lengthy walk to/from London Bridge.

rbmartin

02-04-2014 07:47 AM

I used to work just off Blackfriars Road before Southwark station opened from London Bridge and I've done it by walking in around 15 mins. However, it's not something I'd fancy in the morning peak or on a hot day, then again the Jubilee line I don't like at any peak time.

Now I think what'll probably happen for me as I now work near Charing Cross will be Southern to London Bridge, Southeastern to Cannon Street and then the District to Embankment. I'm hoping by then, my Oyster Card won't charge me the extra £1.10 for using national rail and the tube, otherwise I'll have to join the hordes using the Overground and Jubilee line.

Poppy9560

02-04-2014 01:16 PM

njottinghillbilly - you can avoid the dreadfully inadequate escalator at Canada Water (whoever designed this station needs to be forced to travel this way every day!!!!!) by getting off at the front of the train and going up a floor then down two escalators - no quicker probably but marginally less unpleasant

Baboonery

02-04-2014 02:38 PM

Poppy9560 wrote:
njottinghillbilly - you can avoid the dreadfully inadequate escalator at Canada Water (whoever designed this station needs to be forced to travel this way every day!!!!!) by getting off at the front of the train and going up a floor then down two escalators - no quicker probably but marginally less unpleasant

This. I'm astonished everyone doesn't do it this way to avoid the TERRIBLE CURSE OF THE NON-REVERSIBLE ESCALATOR.

squashst

02-04-2014 03:14 PM

And at rush hour at HOP you to board the Overground you need to get onto the front carriage which decants you close to the up escalator and then go down the 2 escalators. No need to go join the down escalaor queue!

On a more serious note the escalator design at Canada Square is a serious Health & Safety risk and sooner or later there will be an accident. Its probably worth logging concerns via the Tfl site

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields