SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Constant DIY (rant!)
MissPop

29-03-2014 03:28 PM

I moved to HOP last May...EVERY day that there has been no rain my whole street gets out their circular saws and big drills and sanders, (usually for doing pathetically small jobs - more money than sense!).

EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

This morning a circular saw started at 8.30am!! Doesn't bother my sleep coz my little boy gets me up well before then, but really, half eight on a weekend morning!?

HOP is a total nightmare, there's about 3 shops/cafes worth visiting, the rest is a mess and so many people think they're living in some kind of paradise.

I used to live in Rotherhithe...it's MUCH better there - by miles!

Rant over. Can't wait to move away!!

Smile

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

29-03-2014 05:05 PM

Not all of us can afford to pay for builders so do it ourselves.

What utopia are you going to live in where people don't carry on with normal weekend activities?

This post was last modified: 29-03-2014 05:06 PM by Londondrz.

kemamira

29-03-2014 05:10 PM

Move on then.
Bye.

MissPop

29-03-2014 06:03 PM

Ha! I will, thankfully Smile

I've lived in a fair few areas of London and whilst DIY type activities of course do occur, this is the first place I've lived where it's constant. It's not the fact that DIY is being done. It's that it's all the time...the high pitched whine of a sander for 5hrs straight this afternoon - and ongoing - grates a bit.

Anotherjohn

29-03-2014 06:24 PM

Rotherhithe's transformation happened a few years ago and Honor Oak Park is a work in progress - does that make sense? But how anyone can make any sort of comparison between these 2 places is beyond me.

Still, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Anyway, see ya later - nice of you to drop by!

This post was last modified: 29-03-2014 06:26 PM by Anotherjohn.

nottinghillbilly

29-03-2014 07:15 PM

Move to Forest Hill...I've never rated HOPSmile

Erekose

29-03-2014 07:23 PM

Urban Rotherhithe vs Suburban HOP expressed through the medium of DIY - very amusing. Weekend DIY always seems so very reassuring to me like weekend car washing and lawn mowing. Now if only folk would go back to those nice push along mowers and not use the noisey petrol ones.

kemamira

29-03-2014 08:55 PM

"high pitched whine"
"ongoing - grates a bit"

Rofl

OakR

29-03-2014 09:44 PM

Constant DIY can be a pain. I think there are a lot of people working on their properties who cannot afford to move up now, as well as lots of new people moving in wanting to do DIY, in addition to other people who just like \ need to do their own DIY.

HOP (which is clearly much better than Forest Hill NottinghillbillyWink ) has lots of great things. I love it as do many other people, but it depends what you want. Coffee shops and the like are not important to me.

For a young family SE23 is great IMHO but I suppose it depends what you want to do.

Good luck with your move but if you take the half glass full approach there is plenty to like in SE23 for a young family.

Cheeky

31-03-2014 07:51 AM

ha ha, an unusually refreshing honest original post, made me smile

Mr_Numbers

31-03-2014 08:06 AM

I've done no shortage of DIY stuff (no, I can't afford builders, either) but would never consider using something as shrieking as a circular saw outdoors before, say, 10am on a Saturday if I could possibly avoid it. 9.30 at a push. Ideally 11 on a Sunday. Sure, sometimes there are times when you just have to because the job is too big or too urgent, but I can't remember any examples.

[Exits to make more coffee...]

digime

31-03-2014 08:09 AM

The person who lives in the flat below me works on his place every Sunday and always uses his power tools outside to save on mess inside!

He also seems to address evey job with a hammer but doesn't start banging until 4 in the afternoon. He's sometimes still at it at 10pm. He also likes to set up external lights so that he can work right outside our bedroom window until late.

Noise from DIY is inevitable but I agree with the OP in that people should show more respect to others. I don't use power tools at all on a Sunday and never before 10am.

Londondrz

31-03-2014 10:20 AM

As there is no law that governs when DIY can take place a common bit of courtesy needs to apply.

If you feel you are being kept awake by a neighbour banging at 11pm at night, go and tell them so. Most people are so caught up in their own little world they don't realise it.

If the problem persists then contact the council enviro team over a noise issue, that they can act on.

Complaining on the internet gets you nowhere.

Mr_Numbers

31-03-2014 10:27 AM

Quote:
Most people are so caught up in their own little world they don't realise it.

That's exactly what happened with me many years ago. I was banging away at the floorboards (not a euphemism) at around 11pm or later, not realising that my next door neighbour in our semi-detached was being kept awake. When he called to point this out very courteously, I was mortified to realised what I'd been doing - and stopped immediately, of course!

So it's worth a try: just ask them to please not do such noisy work so late.

Sibelius

31-03-2014 12:08 PM

The question is, What's he BUILDING in there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMqxNPsfN50&feature=kp

I do wonder sometimes how much DIY a person actually needs to do on their house, but then I live next door to a builder, so I'm never quite sure if he's working on his own house or other people's.

Glad the OP is doing the sensible thing and moving on.

mcbain23

31-03-2014 02:05 PM

> Move to Forest Hill...I've never rated HOP

HOP is the new FH darling.. haven't you heard? Laugh

Snazy

31-03-2014 02:25 PM

I do love getting the leaf blower out at around 8am on a Saturday, and from time to time will go out leaving my belt sander on a timer plug so it comes on for 40 mins each hour. Nothing like blending in with the neighbours.

Sundays I like to wash the car, then spend 3 hours detailing the interior, with the hoovering taking an hour +, and if the weather is nice, get those doors open and crank out some 80's gems!

On a serious note though, there is a LOT of work and redevelopment going on around FH these days. Having lived next door to a large building site for a few years I know what its like. But you have to get on with it.

Fair play for speaking your mind all the same.

Mr_Numbers

31-03-2014 02:40 PM

You forgot about the patio jet wash.

I agree about the work being done, though. Four sets of scaffolding on my street the other day (we're down to three now). All good for the neighbourhood - but usually these guys don't work at 8.30am on a Saturday.

RoflRoflRofl There's a circular saw just started at one of those construction sites this very second!!!

Snazy

31-03-2014 02:44 PM

The jet wash is only used on Bank Holidays, I don't like to go overboard.

Yup there are some huge works going on around FH at the mo. #6 being rebuilt on my road #10 has just had a month of underpinning done #14 Waldram is just having foundations laid for the new build #2 Church Rise is soon to be redeveloped and so on. That all within 50 metres of my house.

I like to be considerate to my neighbours and do things at reasonable times of the day. If my actions bother them during the middle of the day, such is life, life goes on.

Loving the timing of the circular saw.

Erekose

31-03-2014 06:50 PM

The more building and DIY the better it's a sure sign that the recession is on the turn.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields