SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Accident outside HOP station
admin
Administrator

27-03-2014 01:46 PM

@Mrtdogg wrote:
accident outside Honor oak park station, road closed, all safe but baby going to hospital for a check up

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rshdunlop

27-03-2014 03:25 PM

Unless there is a public interest (road closed, appeal for witnesses etc), why is this picture posted here? It's a bit ghoulish if you ask me.

doc

27-03-2014 04:05 PM

What a ridiculous comment Laugh
Ever watched the news?

rshdunlop

27-03-2014 04:11 PM

Fair enough, each to their own, I personally don't like what Americans call 'rubbernecking'.

michael

27-03-2014 04:48 PM

And the road was closed, at least in one direction.

This is just bringing SE23.com into the age of Twitter.

Mr_Numbers

27-03-2014 06:15 PM

Also, reassuring for anyone who saw it and was concerned. I do share rshdunlop's sense of unease, but on balance I think it's good and helpful to post this.

P1971

27-03-2014 10:42 PM

I'd rather have just the post without the pic.

Mr_Numbers

28-03-2014 10:25 AM

Quote:
I'd rather have just the post without the pic.

Yep. Good point.

michael

28-03-2014 10:48 AM

It is a picture of the emergency services at work, it is hardly the grisly details of a car crash or injured people. I'm sure the photographer could have chosen a more invasive shot, but didn't.

And a good photo shared on twitter always helps a news story.
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/105178..._problems/

daveherne

28-03-2014 10:54 AM

the crossing needs investigating in my opinion. cars approach it too fast and a zebra crossing seems inadequate considering the amount of people that use it.

MightyMouse

28-03-2014 10:55 AM

I don't remember any objections to the picture on the recent thread about the accident outside the All In One.

Just checked. Thread's called Perry Vale Closure. Nope, no objections.

rshdunlop

28-03-2014 01:02 PM

You're right, MightyMouse, that one didn't bother me, so I went to have a look to see why. That picture was of recovery vehicles and police cars and was taken well after the injured were removed. It was the fact that the ambulance was still in the photo here that made me uncomfortable. But I'm prepared to admit I'm probably in a minority on this one.

Anotherjohn

28-03-2014 06:43 PM

Quote:
I'm probably in a minority on this one

You think you're in a minority!

I thought, after reading 'all safe', I bet there's one smart-a**** copper who wanted to hold onto the power of closing that road off until he'd been through the whole guide on requisite precautions, health & safety measures, prescribed signage, coneage & police tapeage in the event of a road traffic accident on a publich highway. The problem is, on the odd occasion, that there are one or two of our public protectors who weren't paying attention when their Hendon lecturers were explaining the the bit about interpretation, degree and proportionality.

(Now someone's gonna come on here and tell us all that the police did remarkably well and re-opened the road after only 15 minutes - and you can imagine how I'll feel then. Minority AND shame!!!)

Snazy

31-03-2014 02:40 PM

I can see both sides of the fence on this one. Personally I am a nosey person that likes to know whats going on. Not intimate detail, but a grasp on whats happening around me.
Trips to Purley Cross to see the effects of the flooding etc have been known.

While a picture is not required, as the pics I took (and were shared) of the incident at the All In One, the old adage that a picture speaks a thousand words, goes a long way to explaining why we use them for things like this.

The picture alone in response to a question of 'why was the road close' speaks volumes, and explains it well. So there is an advantage to them, when taken sympathetically to those involved.

The question of road closures is a complex one, and involves both criminal / evidence reasons, as well as good old Elf and Safety. having been caught up in a number of nasty incidents I can appreciate most of the reasons used to keep a road closed for extended periods of time.

Ponyboy

01-04-2014 07:07 PM

I think if you witness something like this it's quite comforting to know that there were no serious casualties. I was very relieved to hear that the chap knocked over by FH station was expected to recover (for example).

Jane_D

02-04-2014 02:12 PM

Could you say more about 'the chap knocked over near FH station' please Ponyboy? I saw a man unconscious in the road near the zebra crossing, a few weeks ago. He looked in a bad way and it would be great to know that he's expected to recover. Thanks.

admin
Administrator

02-04-2014 02:16 PM

Jane_D see here.

Jane_D

02-04-2014 02:22 PM

Thanks, Admin. Actually the man I saw was lying in the road just outside From the Forest, and police were closing the road. Haven't seen any mention of him on any forums, so hopefully it wasn't as serious as it looked.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill station accident - young girls aged 7 and 13 hit by vehicle admin 4 9,523 17-04-2014 06:45 AM
Last Post: Londondrz