SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
That impossible question: how safe is Honor Oak Park?
HOPnoob

19-03-2014 01:28 PM

Hello everyone! I know it's kind of a ridiculous question, but as I am thinking of buying a property in Honor Oak Park (near the rather lovely named One Tree Hill), I wanted to know how safe the area is for a lone female? I made the mistake of going on that police website which maps out every single crime and I was rather surprised at the number of burglaries, particularly away from main roads, and vehicle crime and the odd violent/sexual crime. Now I know this is London and crime is everywhere but just want to make sure that the One Tree Hill area is not some sort of magnet for weirdos and criminals!! Thanks in advance for your replies.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Poppy9560

19-03-2014 02:07 PM

It's as safe as anywhere in London. Lone females obviously need to be aware of their surroundings when walking home same as anywhere. I have lived here over 15 years and only been attacked once- but I had had too much to drink and couldn't defend myself-luckily a man came out of his house and chased the attacker away. We have a good community spirit in the area and people do look out for each other as you can tell from this board Smile

shzl400

19-03-2014 06:07 PM

Echo what Poppy has said. I've lived here over 20 years. If you are circumspect and don't make yourself a target (e.g. don't wear headphones, be aware of who's around you and don't wave your mobile about). I'm always conscious when, for example, if I'm walking up Devonshire Road from the train station late at night. I have had an attempted bag snatch once - by three "youths" who were trying it on - I could hear them behind me whispering before they tried the snatch, so I was ready for them when they made the move - so inept! I screamed merry hell and they ran off. Someone living in one of the houses came out to see what the noise was and invited me in, called the police and gave me a glass of wine. Thumbsup That community spirit in action again!

HOPnoob

19-03-2014 10:21 PM

Thanks both for your replies! Sorry to hear you have both been the targets of horrible opportunists but sounds like you both got off unscathed (and great to hear that you were both helped out). I just think I got a little paranoid when looking at that police map and, having walked around the area, there seem to be a lot of quiet streets (obviously quiet is good but I'm used to living on a main road in Angel where there are always people around). It definitely seems like there is a good community spirit and just generally seems like a nice area. You have both made me feel a lot more confident about continuing my search for a home in HOP - thanks!

Medley

20-03-2014 10:10 AM

I also echo what's above. I'm a bloke, but have lived in Honor Oak (i.e. P Rye Park side of One Tree Hill) and then Honor Oak Park (south of the station) for most of the time since 2007.

No incidents in that time, although there was once a gang of teenagers on top of One Tree Hill in the pitch darkness who were interested in my trainers. Until they actually saw them! They never tried anything, I just moved off; the attitude was a little threatening was all.

In general my feeling is that this area is as safe as any in London - you need to keep your wits about you a bit, that's all.

helenS29

20-03-2014 05:32 PM

I walk up Devonshire road from the station at night at least a couple of times a week - often after a few sneaky after work drinks - and haven't ever felt threatened in the two years I've lived here. I did get invited to a party by some people dressed a zombies once mind.

Mr_Numbers

21-03-2014 09:14 AM

Just to add one thing: I entered my postcode into one of those websites that's supposed to tell you what your neighbourhood is like - and I just didn't recognise my area from the description. Apparently where I live it's an area of high deprivation and high crime. Being an older bloke, I'm probably less susceptible to being mugged than a woman or a young teenager, but I do think these websites are utter nonsense.

As for deprivation, house prices around here are going nuts and there are five houses within eyeshot of my front door with scaffolding because of improvement works.

HOPnoob

21-03-2014 09:54 AM

Thanks for the input! I am generally pretty vigilant – I think living in London makes you that way! I think because I am taking a leap into an area I don’t really know, I just wanted the reassurance that it’s not some major crime spot. From the few times I have been to HOP, the vibe I have got is that it is already a fairly gentrified/nice community feel-type area, which I imagine is only going to improve more in the near future. I also don’t know why I am worrying so much as I was previously seriously considering living in Leytonstone and Walthamstow which are way dodgier than the lovely, leafy HOP!!

dad_jokes

21-03-2014 02:11 PM

erm... HOP is brilliant.

Not dodgy AT all.

Loads of people get off the train at all the usual hours and it's well lit. This area is getting better and better and I couldn't recommend higher.

Come join the fun.

HOP resident, 2 years.

nottinghillbilly

21-03-2014 02:19 PM

I lived in Notting Hill before I moved to SE23- whilst I lived there I never investigated the crime figures, HOWEVER when I moved out of curiosity I did the crime stats check and almost dropped the computer.
Where I lived (W10) was allegedly a deprived area and major crime hot spot, an unrecognisable description from my perception of the area.
Go with your gut feeling is my advice.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields