SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
ID theft
Tarquin

10-03-2014 05:07 PM

Anyone had their ID stolen recently or during last year? This could be in any form - but am particularly interested in hearing from anyone who had their stolen involving the post. (Realise it's a delicate subject but something's got to be done).

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nork1

10-03-2014 05:49 PM

Not my own ID but attempts to use my address to open credit accounts and illegally purchase goods.
1st attempt last year, courier turned up with a parcel with my address but with a Nigerian name on it. I refused to accept as this is a known scam where the recipient comes by later explaining it's their parcel, they live a few doors away and the dispatchers have made a mistake with the label. Had I accepted the parcel, a month later I would probably have got a huge bill for a mobile phone account taken out at my address.
2nd attempt was successful. I started receiving invoices from a catalog company for my address but in the name of the previous occupant who moved out 15 years ago. No goods have ever been delivered here but the credit account was successfully opened and items ordered/dispatched (where they were sent I don't know). Not wanting my credit rating to get hit I emailed and phoned the company who got their fraud investigators on the case.

Jane_D

10-03-2014 07:37 PM

A few years ago somebody had a mobile phone delivered to my house, then opened a number of mobile phone accounts at my address, though not in my name. I kept getting bills for people with different names, and each time I rang up the company and explained what had happened; the companies seemed unsurprised, and quite happy to keep cancelling the accounts.

It stopped after a few months and didn't affect my credit rating.

rshdunlop

10-03-2014 07:58 PM

I had a courier try to deliver a mobile phone to my house in someone else's name a few years ago. He said it was a well known scam and that I was right not to accept delivery.

Snazy

11-03-2014 04:08 PM

I had a letter delivered the other day from a student loans company, with what I could just about make out to be an annual statement.

I emailed the company and said the person does NOT live at this address, so to remove any association with my address.
They were unable to confirm or deny that there was a debt on the account, but will be contacting Experian to make sure this person has NOT gained a loan using my address.

Londondrz

12-03-2014 11:05 AM

I received a shock with a mobile phone bill a year or two ago. I rang my mobile company and explained that whilst I liked the odd chat the £2,000 or so for the last month seemed excessive. The lady from the phone company told me that one of my mobiles had very high international calls.

I pointed out that she had used the plural not singular which is when we discovered someone had ordered a new phone using my details.

They are still unable to explain how this happened and how the person who got the phone signed for it.

I did a little detective work and phoned one of the numbers the mobile had called (itemised bill) and pretended to be a cabbie who had found it in the back of his cab. I found out who the person was and where they lived and passed it onto the mobile company who didn't want to know. What a waste.

So, to the lady who ordered a mobile with my details please give my regards to your friends and family in Zimbabwe. I may one day.

Tarquin

12-03-2014 11:17 AM

Thank you very much for your reply - I'm quite amazed by the number of people who have posted - concerning this issue. I am interested in a group of us getting together, to discuss it and what can be done - it would be in confidence. Please re-contact me if you are interested.

rshdunlop

12-03-2014 05:29 PM

Ah-ha-ha-ha.

No.

admin
Administrator

12-03-2014 08:53 PM

Time to send for the Billy Goats Gruff?

Jane_D

12-03-2014 08:56 PM

Um - that would be a reference to Trolls perhaps? Pretty baffled over here...

P1971

12-03-2014 09:18 PM

Tarquin 2 of your total of 3 posts on this thread! Really?
Sure SNT will be more than interested in your posts!

P1971

12-03-2014 09:36 PM

Tarquin if you are for real please contact SNT for info on what to do on 101.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields