SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Idiot drivers rat running
Londondrz

12-03-2014 10:48 AM

Someone with better search skills than me may be able to find the doc that was published on here a few years ago when TFL or the council checked the speeds on the local roads and found that the average speed going up Manor Mount was 23 mph but the shocker was that the average speed going down was 43 mph and it a no entry.

There is the occasional camera car parked there and I have seen a police check once to catch speeders on Waldenshaw and wrong way drivers on Manor Mount. The roads were very quite for a few weeks after that.

The problem is that quite a few people who live on Manor Mount drive the wrong way down the hill to "save time". You know who you are.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snazy

12-03-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:
Londondrz
The problem is that quite a few people who live on Manor Mount drive the wrong way down the hill to "save time". You know who you are.

Thumbdown

Ironic really that!
They should have a little crack down on it though, surely its a worth while and financially beneficial thing to do once on a while.

As for the residents who are doing the whole driving the wrong way to save time, not clever!

Londondrz

12-03-2014 01:28 PM

If "they" took an 20 minutes outside my daughters school in the morning with a CCTV car they would make a fortune with all the parents who don't give a f*** parking on the zig zags outside the school.

Chris88

15-03-2014 01:24 PM

Allowing Manor Mount to be two-way again would be absolute chaos.

It was changed for a reason. It's a residential street.

If everyone takes a "short cut" it's not really a short cut anymore is it? You just get the same problems but in a different location.

And you make life hell for the residents, Ambulance station and people racing down the hill.

In addition - Drivers in the area are just the same as anywhere else in London - the effect is probably exacerbated by the fact that the South Circular is very narrow and close to the pavement. So it "feels" a lot crazier and stressful. It's just a busy road and its always been like that and it always will be.

This post was last modified: 15-03-2014 01:29 PM by Chris88.

shzl400

16-03-2014 07:54 PM

If they sorted out the traffic lights at the bottom of Honor Oak Road so that more than one or two cars could get out each turn of the lightsCursing, fewer people would be tempted to make the illegal rat run into Manor Mount to get out of the interminable queue.

gbrownings

16-03-2014 08:53 PM

Thumbup

Baboonery

16-03-2014 10:58 PM

But then that would mean less time for the uphill traffic on London Road, which is terribly snarled at the moment as it is.

Snazy

17-03-2014 03:34 PM

Guessing there is no ideal, suits all solution for the matter of Manor Mount really.

Shame, it only takes a little common sense and respect for rules really.

shzl400

17-03-2014 08:26 PM

I have to say, Baboonery, I've often sat in the traffic in both directions, and the South Circ definitely moves a lot faster than Honor Oak Road.

Baboonery

18-03-2014 11:25 AM

I don't doubt that, but the thread about the Sydenham Hill junction lights slowing everything else down was a popular one on this forum. Got a lot better in the last week, that, incidentally.

I don't think another couple of seconds of green coming out from HOR would hurt anyone, but there are men and women with hi-viz and clipboards and counting cables at that junction a lot and it never seems to change.

Triangle

18-03-2014 11:48 AM

I've often noticed that when there are traffic lights at a junction, but the lights are not working, the traffic from both directions seems to flow much better!

I can remember the London Road/Honor Oak Road junction before traffic lights were installed and I don't recall seeing the tailbacks that there are now.

Granted, the density of traffic is probably much higher now, but I wonder whether things would flow better if the lights were removed again or perhaps they were replaced by a mini roundabout?

Londondrz

10-03-2015 05:42 PM

Well done to the driver of the Bramble and Rose van that decided that they are waaaaay more important than us so could drive the wrong way down Manor Mount this afternoon. Doing something that stupid in a liveried works vehicle is just plain dumb. Still, I am sure that they got home all of 1 minute earlier than normal.

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields