SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Paddy Power's offensive betting on death
SLM73

05-03-2014 07:29 AM

The charming Paddy Power is running a book on whether Oscar Pistorius will be convicted or not. Even if you are not a fan of signing petitions, I'd urge you to sign this one as not only is it morally wrong, if they get away with this then what next? Betting on how long someone can take torture?

http://www.change.org/petitions/patrick-...e_petition

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BillieJameson

05-03-2014 09:09 PM

Just seen from a friend's post on Facebook that ASA have suspended it because of the volume of complaints. And quite right too.

Tim Lund

06-03-2014 09:13 PM

I can't find a reference for it, but I'm sure I've read somewhere that early on in the development of life assurance, they realised that the moral hazard created when offering policies which paid out on someone else's death was just too great, and it was made illegal, except for husband and wife. Even then there were plenty of suspicious deaths by arsenic. I've sometimes wondered if there was a similar case for making third party bets on the deaths of companies - e.g. credit default swaps - illegal.

Snazy

19-03-2014 10:55 AM

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Betting limits in Lewisham Ligersaur 14 12,177 20-11-2015 07:14 PM
Last Post: sydenhamcentral