SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Breastfeeding in Forest Hill
ForestDweller

15-10-2013 08:27 PM

Does anybody have a venue in Forest Hill they would like to nominate as a good place to breastfeed? I'm going to be out and about in the local area in the next few weeks trying to sign places up to Lewisham Council's Breastfeeding Welcome scheme. Sadly, some women find that the need to feed whilst out and about is a barrier to breastfeeding their baby. This scheme aims to create local places where women feel comfortable feeding their babies and also normalise breastfeeding in the public domain.

More information here
http://www.breastfeedingwelcomescheme.org.uk

Also, if you're interested, please take the time to 'like' the facebook page as the more likes it has, the greater the incentive for businesses to sign up to the scheme.
https://www.facebook.com/breastfeedingwelcome.lewisham

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LittlePickleHead

16-10-2013 09:58 AM

I've fed pretty much everywhere and never found anywhere an issue! However for comfy seats (if you can get them) Canvas and Cream are good. Also Horniman cafe is very welcoming, and the cafe at the Pools.

showtunesgirl

18-10-2013 02:59 PM

I have pretty much breastfed everywhere and to be honest find this scheme to be a bit counterproductive.

Under the Sexual Discrimination Act, it is illegal to prevent a mother from breastfeeding their child no matter how old they are.

Surely it is THIS that needs to be better publicised as otherwise it looks as though only some places are "designated" breastfeeding places?

rshdunlop

18-10-2013 03:16 PM

I have to agree with showtunesgirl. Even 10-15 years ago I breastfeed anywhere if I need to. It was never an issue. Compiling a list of places that are 'breastfeeding friendly' implies that you shouldn't attempt to fed in other places.

Nellienoodle

21-10-2013 07:52 PM

Lucky you if you didn't have any trouble breastfeeding in public! Just because you wouldn't find the list helpful doesn't mean that others won't. Even though I fed my baby with a bottle (do not give me a hard time on this!), some shop keepers were less happy to see us than others. If I had had to get my boobies out as well, I think I'd rather have stayed at home!

Good luck with your list. I like in no particular order, Nandi Nandi, the Horniman and Canvas and Cream.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields