SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
36 Honor Oak Road (ex Hamilton Lodge Care Home)
Decker

23-04-2015 10:37 PM

Firstly I think it's great that Cllr Upex and Cllr Hilton are involved and commenting on this issue.

I agree with Antony's sentiments that Cllr Upex's emotional appeal is
out of place. We are not a city of millionaire's and billionaire's. Infact, less than 3% of London are millionaires, even less in our ward.

The majority of us are ordinary tax paying citizens who have financial pressures. I’d say nearly every single person in the borough cares about homeless people and cares about homeless children. To appeal on these grounds I do not think is fair. We already have Miriam Lodge, a 125 bed homeless hostel, as well as several others. So to say people are making “not in our backyard” arguments I don't think is the case.

The real issue, as mentioned, is that Lewisham Council and all councils in London can not find enough permanent housing. And from the recent BBC Panorama show, it also appears that they have issues regulating the use of the private rental market to supplement the shortage.

The focus should be on creating sustainable long term accommodation (either Council owned or regulated through the private sector), while at the same time providing enough services to the residents who already live in the area. Not overwhelming existing services with temporary fixes such as Hamilton Lodge. How is moving “homeless children” from a B&B to an 80 bed homeless hostel, with no permanent staff, a solution? It's a band-aid fix and questionable whether it's in their best interests.

The council should be more efficient in finding permanent solutions. The council should be proactive and build more services in Forest Hill (GP/School places). Then we can think about supporting even more of the most vulnerable people in London.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: 36 Honor Oak Road (ex Hamilton Lodge Care Home) - Decker - 23-04-2015 10:37 PM
Hamilton Lodge & 118 Canonbie Rd - Antony - 27-10-2014, 11:07 AM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Dartmouth Road plans and Forest Lodge davidwhiting 7 9,982 09-06-2015 11:10 PM
Last Post: michael