SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
36 Honor Oak Road (ex Hamilton Lodge Care Home)
Cllr Paul Upex

23-04-2015 02:04 PM

My view on the proposed use of Hamilton Lodge - Cllr Paul Upex

Since being elected as your Forest Hill Councillor last year I believe it is my responsibility to represent every one of the thousands of people who live within Forest Hill Ward, not just those who vote. I believe I have a duty to listen to your views on issues and any local concerns. As a Councillor I also believe that I have a duty to stand up for what I believe is right and make difficult decisions based on conviction and a belief that what we are doing is the right thing to help those in need, families who may not have a voice, but through no fault of their own, find themselves in tough times and without a roof over their head.

I’ve read with dismay recent figures obtained through the Parliamentary library by Tessa Jowell detailing there are 2,800 children without a permanent home in Lewisham. The figure for Lewisham children in temporary accommodation during the last quarter of 2014 is up by nearly 1,800 on figures for 18 months earlier. Make no mistake this is a London wide issue with a total of 80 per cent of those children in England living in temporary accommodation found in the capital, with a child in London five times more likely to be without a home than a child in the rest of the country.

I believe that the use of B&B accommodation is expensive, inadequate and has unacceptable long-term effects on homeless families, as they are often shut out of their accommodation during the day, causing huge disruption to daily routines of school and work. It is my opinion that every child deserves a decent home to come back to after school, where they feel secure, and where they can sit down to do their homework. That is what at least temporary accommodation provides.

It’s heart-breaking to see so many children in Lewisham growing up without the basic necessity of their own home. Inequality is robbing these children of their childhood. We are a city of billionaires and millionaires, yet child homelessness is disgracefully high and rising. This is why I believe that the option being put forward to use Hamilton Lodge for temporary accommodation over the next 5 years is a better option than subjecting families to B&B. London has both the most expensive housing and the largest number of people living in poverty in Western Europe – and incomes are falling as the cost of housing is rises.

The Mayor of Lewisham has taken some steps in addressing the issue of the lack of permanent housing within the borough as we have started to build Council homes for the 1st time in 30 years with a target of 250 as a minimum by 2017. The General Election on the 7 May and London Mayoral Elections next year in my opinion will have a huge impact on the future of housing within the capital and it is an issue that must be addressed.

I appreciate and understand the concerns that local residents may have regarding school places. This year the council is investing around £1m in Horniman Primary School not just in providing an extra form entry at Horniman School (further details outlined below).

The works comprise the design and construction of a new build kitchen within an external under croft area, with internal remodelling and refurbishment works to provide an additional classroom, improved learning spaces and toilet layout. The works are inclusive of mechanical, electrical and structural alterations to suit the revised layouts and associated external works.

I will continue to monitor any pressure that the proposed usage of Hamilton Lodge may or not place upon primary school places within the area.

I will also work with the Council, Safer Neighbourhood Team and local residents to ensure that effective reporting mechanism and tough penalties are in place for any person found to be contributing towards anti-social behaviour whilst a resident of Hamilton Lodge.

I know a number of residents may not agree with me, but I would like to assure local residents that supporting this scheme is not a decision I have taken lightly – last year for instance I opposed the extension of Miriam Lodge and would do so again. However I believe with my heart that faced with the increased number of homeless families that it is better to provide decent temporary accommodation than subject them to the roulette wheel of unpredictability that B& B accommodation provides. I believe we need a long term aim of providing more truly affordable housing for residents or the option of rents that people can actually afford to pay and on tenancies that let them create a home.

Finally I would urge local residents to take part in the consultation and let the Council know your views either for or against.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: 36 Honor Oak Road (ex Hamilton Lodge Care Home) - Cllr Paul Upex - 23-04-2015 02:04 PM
Hamilton Lodge & 118 Canonbie Rd - Antony - 27-10-2014, 11:07 AM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Dartmouth Road plans and Forest Lodge davidwhiting 7 10,008 09-06-2015 11:10 PM
Last Post: michael