SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
36 Honor Oak Road (ex Hamilton Lodge Care Home)
Cllr Paul Upex

01-08-2014 02:50 PM

Hello all

I am working on our email update at the moment which covers Hamilton Lodge and my own view regarding Morrisons. I've copied these updates for everyone on the forum below - one is more of an update from Lewisham Council, the other my view regarding Morrisons. I appreciate the points that people have made regarding the future use of Hamilton Lodge as a school, however my views at the moment is that in the short term housing families not in bed and breakfast accomodation should be the priority. I will make enquiries regarding future usage and let you know.

I've not heard anymore than most people regarding the Capitol but will update residents as soon as I do hear anything.

Email team@labour4foresthill.org.uk if you would like to receive our regular newsletter.

Have a good weekend

Cllr Paul Upex
cllr_paul.upex@lewisham.gov.uk

Hamilton Lodge

Lewisham Council purchased Hamilton Lodge on favourable commercial terms. It is now refitting the building to be suitable, for a short period, as a temporary housing solution for homeless families which enables them to live in better circumstances than would otherwise be the case.

This approach involves the Council using its capital resources and buying power to secure better housing solutions and revenue savings at the same time. Works to convert the building will commence shortly and ahead of that happening property guardians (to prevent squatting) are in situ to secure the building. It is expected that by the end of the year the building will house 21 homeless families while a more long term housing solution is sought for them. Over the medium term as housing supply increases, other more permanent uses for the building will be considered and implemented following the appropriate decision making processes.

Morrisons in Forest Hill – Cllr Paul Upex (Forest Hill)

Many people have put in a great deal of hard work over many years to help build the Town Centre and Dartmouth Road area of Forest Hill. Now in 2014 we have an interesting collection of mostly independent shops and a committed group of traders. I admit everything isn’t perfect, but I do think we are on the right track to provide a unique shopping offer within the local area. I am not proposing a blanket ban on supermarkets and acknowledge that many of our residents use and appreciate the convenience that they provide. However it is my opinion, that at the moment, Morrisons moving into the M & Co site is not right for Forest Hill and the local businesses and traders.

At present we have 1 Sainsbury (London Rd) and 2 Tesco Express (beside the Horniman and on Kirkdale) within Forest Hill ward, just outside the ward we have another Sainsbury’s Local on (Honor Oak Rd)and a Co-op (Stanstead Rd). It is my opinion that local residents are well served by the ‘Big Supermarkets’ at present and if we are to attract, support and encourage local businesses to thrive we have to stand up for them and support them. I will be signing the licensing petition put forward by local residents and traders and I have asked the Sustainable Development committee of Lewisham Council ( which I am a member of ) to look at ways in which we can continue to promote, support and offer distinctive high streets across Lewisham.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: 36 Honor Oak Road (ex Hamilton Lodge Care Home) - Cllr Paul Upex - 01-08-2014 02:50 PM
Hamilton Lodge & 118 Canonbie Rd - Antony - 27-10-2014, 11:07 AM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Dartmouth Road plans and Forest Lodge davidwhiting 7 9,994 09-06-2015 11:10 PM
Last Post: michael