SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (12): « First < Previous 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 Next > Last »
36 Honor Oak Road (ex Hamilton Lodge Care Home)
67Park

07-05-2015 10:07 PM

Thank you for clarifying that Michael, so apologies for my ‘apologist’ remark. Thanks also for a straight answer, those are hard to come by recently, so that’s very welcome.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Glasshalffull

07-05-2015 10:18 PM

Michael, the figures come from an article in the independent last week. I can't find the article now. I did download a graph from the article as I was surprised at the figures.

lacb

08-05-2015 10:07 PM

Was interested in source too so searched for it:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/hom...13854.html

If true this is shocking. Also, note that Southwark tops the list of homeless leaving so it seems natural to wonder how many ended up in Lewisham.

michael

08-05-2015 11:14 PM

Certainly interesting figures and thanks for providing the sources.

But this probably does not relate to council run facilities such as proposed here, it relates to councils placing homeless people in accomodation out of borough. An example of this is Miriam Lodge, a privately owned hostel, accepting homeless people from at least 6 London boroughs and accounting for a large proportion of the Lewisham intake. Theoretically these individuals would still be provided with GP services and other council services in the council making the placement (I have no idea how that would work for a London borough placing somebody in Manchester).

My understanding is that Hamilton Lodge would be used solely by Lewisham council and would not be receiving residents from other boroughs (and Lewisham has enough families in such circumstances at the moment). Owning their own hostels is cheaper than using hostels in the private sector or bed and breakfast accommodation, which is likely to be outside of Lewisham borough.

Of course I could be wrong about all of this and others on the forum may be able to provide greater insight into the stories behind these figures. Questions like these, which are perfectly valid, should be put to the council at the public meeting we have been promised.

67Park

12-05-2015 10:21 PM

Just seen some bats flying around our back garden, which adjoins the old reservoir behind Hamilton Lodge. They were flying about for quite some time, I think they were after all those moths hanging around my compost heap. Seem to fit the Serotine bat profile: usually the first to appear in the evening, about 60mm – 80mm, wingspan the size of a ruler, pale underneath, highly manoeuvrable! They roost mainly in buildings, especially older ones with high gables. Anyone know of any derelict buildings around here where they might be roosting?

Maja Hilton

12-05-2015 10:43 PM

Note Wednesday 3rd June in your diaries. The public meeting is planned for then. Should be at Christian Fellowship centre in the evening. I expect notices in the local area to be sent shortly.

jaradras

13-05-2015 08:38 AM

Cllr Maja Hilton,
we will wait for the notice but can you please tell us
(a) who has organised this meeting
(b) purpose of meeting
thanks

Maja Hilton

13-05-2015 01:34 PM

Hi Jaradras

The meeting is organised by the Council in their capacity of processor of planning applications. In this case it is also the applicant so it may seem confusing.

The meeting is required part of the process with a number of objections which this application attracted. Once this is completed the case will be presented before a planning committee(made up of councillors) for a decision.

Therefore the ultimate purpose is to provide extra information to be considered by the deciding committee.
It is also opportunity for you to ask questions regarding this application, raise concerns and receive some of the answers.

67Park

13-05-2015 02:24 PM

This application has been predetermined, and only some form of legal challenge based on the various laws and recent High Court decisions around equal rights in hostels will be needed.

There are already countless tradesmen, BT OpenReach, etc., going in and out, so this is pre-works. The area around Hamilton Lodge is so so so much busier now. Busier even than when the nursing home was in full flow. Their arguments in this application do not hold water, especially the one about the site being no busier – it is, and the proof is there for all to see.

The meeting is to tell you what they have decided – see Cllr Hilton’s last sentence. This is not democracy, this is dictatorship of the highest level. They’re trying to give Kim Jong-un a run for his not inconsiderable money, and they’re winning the race? Anyway, we can all make our voice heard at the ballot box next time round. We will not forget. The Upex Hilton will be their dreadful legacy.

lacb

13-05-2015 03:36 PM

67park,

It is true that the council has decided what they want to do. However, if you have a legal challenge then make sure that this is heard at the Planning Committee. If your argument is valid then this would surely change the application IMO.

Decker

13-05-2015 03:45 PM

Wasn't someone saying the one in Bromley has 24/7 staff and also CCTV. There needs to be more of that. For the safety of the residents themselves. Having someone there from 9-5 is pretty useless.

My point is, maybe this is predestined to go through - but maybe there can be compromises in the best interests of everyone.

This post was last modified: 13-05-2015 03:45 PM by Decker.

Loncdl

13-05-2015 09:37 PM

To be fair 67Park I don't think Lewisham Council have executed anyone with anti aircraft fire for falling asleep in a meeting, though it might liven their proceedings up a bit...

Antony

23-05-2015 12:00 PM

I have just returned from some time away and was very surprised to see the exceptionally feeble response to the planning applications by the FHS.

Why express concern only for the potential residents? What about the effect on FH and its existing residents, like the extra pressure such a high density development will place on schools, GP services, transport and parking? What about the effects on local people of having 100 people with 'high support needs' and a 1 in 5 likelihood of anti-social behaviour? These figures are not scaremongering; they were provided by the Council in their handout at the initial public meeting. And what about the fact that this hostel will increase the number of homelessness hostels in the neighbourhood so much as to make FH the homelessness centre of Lewisham?

Who does the FH Soc speak for when it accepts these developments in principle? Not for me, that's for sure. According to a previous post it doesn't actually speak for the members of the Society at all; they weren't even consulted. No, it just expresses the view of the planning committee.

And who are the planning committee? Dowdists, Upexians, Majadistas? We should be told.

I suppose I should give FHS credit for one thing; they did at least bother to submit comments, unlike TLERA

Anotherjohn

23-05-2015 01:20 PM

Anthony.

I hope I'm right in saying this. I understand that most of the things that a great many of us, along with yourself, object to aren't recognised as being valid reasons for refusal under Government planning guidelines, which is why the FHSoc don't put them forward on our behalf.

For what it's worth, I think Lewisham council needs to be lobbied to try to persuade them that our small town cannot absorb the current levels of anti-social behaviour etc imposed on us by the existing hostels etc let-alone the proposals that are on the table.

michael

26-05-2015 12:57 PM

Cllr Maja Hilton wrote:
Note Wednesday 3rd June in your diaries. The public meeting is planned for then. Should be at Christian Fellowship centre in the evening. I expect notices in the local area to be sent shortly.

The meeting will take place at 7:30pm next Wednesday.

Decker

26-05-2015 01:00 PM

How do these meetings work?

Do the applicants just make a presentation and address some of the concerns?

I'm guessing there's not enough time for everyone to say something.

michael

03-06-2015 11:51 AM

Decker,
That's basically how it works. Usually there is enough time for all concerns to get raised, although I have been to meetings where the developer basically didn't allow much time for questions. I doubt this will happen in this case, and it does depend on who is chairing the meeting (hopefully a local councillor).

jaradras

03-06-2015 01:34 PM

Is the meeting going to take place tonight ?.
Not received any letter or any notice.
Have spoken to neighbours as well & they have not received anything either.

michael

03-06-2015 01:57 PM

All objectors should have received letters, in addition details were included on the rear of the ward assembly notification which should be going to every house in Forest Hill ward (I got mine on Monday).

Beyond that, members of the Forest Hill Society got an email on Friday telling them about the meeting. You can subscribe to the Forest Hill Society emailing list on the right-hand side of the website http://www.foresthillsociety.com/ you do not need to join the Society to get free monthly emails with all sorts of interesting events (example).

This post was last modified: 03-06-2015 02:00 PM by michael.

Londondrz

03-06-2015 02:28 PM

I had a call last night asking if I had received the Ward Assembly details. I have not.

Pages (12): « First < Previous 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Dartmouth Road plans and Forest Lodge davidwhiting 7 10,008 09-06-2015 11:10 PM
Last Post: michael