SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Sky TV Signal Loss
milliemop

27-01-2014 08:50 PM

Over the last week our signal keeps failing - happens ten plus times a day and is now beginning to get very annoying!!!! Anyone else in SE23 having similar problems??? Have rang Sky but don't really want to pay out £65 for an engineer to come and have a looksie ????????????????????

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rowadona

27-01-2014 08:55 PM

Maybe your dish moved a bit because of strong winds, and cloudy bad weather don't help either. When I had Sky tv, I would love signal in very bad weather conditions.
You have to check if you are receiving good and strong signal. I know there is a option on the sky box menu to see that, but since I don't have it anymore, I can't help you with that.

milliemop

27-01-2014 09:14 PM

Thanks for your reply. The fact that it goes down but comes back after fifteen minutes makes me think the dish is probably ok but yes we also lose signal in bad weather but this happens at anytime no matter what the weather is doing. Like you I might be an ex-sky person soon ????????

rymerster

27-01-2014 09:55 PM

Had a similar problem a few years ago. Since moving in a tree had grown and during bad weather with it blowing about the signal would be lost. Got an engineer out who moved the dish so that there was less risk of interference from the trees. Been OK since "touch wood" (sorry).

I'd recommend getting the dish checked, even if the alignment is a little out you can have problems. It's also worth checking the cables in case they have come loose.

rshdunlop

27-01-2014 10:39 PM

This happened to us not so long ago. The transponder was hanging loose and whether or not we got picture depended on what way it was swinging. Sky engineer fixed it for their standard call-out fee (£40 I think).

BT

28-01-2014 08:09 AM

One of the better reasons for having Cable if you can get it.

And they don't charge for fixing faults.

Snazy

28-01-2014 12:29 PM

Like Bt, im glad I made the move to Virgin too, no more cloudy day crackle on the screen.
Prob cheaper to get a self employed dish engineer to do it, or catch a Sky guy sitting in his van and ask them to do it for cash.

Very annoying that they charge for something that is flawed by being exposed to the elements like that.

milliemop

28-01-2014 01:20 PM

Totally agree with you Snazy???? sent hubby up ladder to have a tweak of dish and it seems to have helped and I didn't have to pay him £65 ???????? might have to investigate Virgin...........

Snazy

28-01-2014 01:25 PM

haha, good plan, not even a cuppa though?
Been happy with Virgin for years now, been great service all around, and they don't charge for engineer visits.
Depends what you need from the provider really. Good luck Thumbup

milliemop

28-01-2014 02:14 PM

I allowed him a cup of tea - just the one though ????????????. Sky Sports is the most important thing in this house (for the boys, not me!!!!) so probably tied to Sky ????????????????

Snazy

28-01-2014 03:39 PM

Very generous of you if I do say so myself!
Sky Sports is available on Virgin, 95% of the channels are these days because of competition laws.
For me it works out well as I have phone, broadband and TV all on one service. Got a good deal through someone I know who works for them, so happy all round.

rshdunlop

28-01-2014 04:22 PM

FYI, if you do need to get a Sky engineer out, you can haggle - they'll do it for £40, not the quoted price of £65. But yes, it is annoying. It's because the dish and box belong to you, whereas with cable all the equipment remains their property.

milliemop

28-01-2014 05:19 PM

Thanks for all your very helpful advice. Gonna get my haggle hat on ???????? but will also be checking out Virgin Thumbsup

BT

28-01-2014 05:36 PM

Check out the deals on Virgins website. They have some good deals for new customers and you can haggle to a certain extent.
I recently got an upgrade from my HD box to a TiVo box(much better than Sky box) and got to keep my HD box installed in another room for free. Broadband upgraded from 20mb to 60mb. Free Superhub 2, free calls to my Virgin mobile from my homephone. And all for the same price I was paying before, and I haggled for free installation and saved £49.99, and the engineer turned up within the 2 hour timeslot and set everything up including the Superhub.

milliemop

28-01-2014 06:17 PM

Thank you Bt, will definately be investigating Thumbsup

Snazy

29-01-2014 02:15 PM

Great experience Bt, I had the same, love my TiVo soo much. Also got multiroom, 60mb BB and unlimited calls for the same sort of money.

Cant say a bad thing about them to be fair, engineers have always been quick, tidy and courteous. Thumbsup

Oooh they do a recommendation thing! If you want, and cant find a free install offer, let me know, I can refer you through my account, and you get a free install, and I get money off my bill Thumbup Rofl

milliemop

29-01-2014 02:19 PM

Snazy was wondering about recommendation???? Am trying to talk my husband round to Virgin, when I do (hopefully) will pm you.

Snazy

29-01-2014 03:13 PM

Pro's of Virgin are its ground cable not a dish signal. All engineer visits are free, no need for box or dish insurance as the boxes remain theirs. Great and reliable broadband speeds, through LAN and wifi. Great online content with TiVo as well as all the usual smart phone record options etc. Record 3 channels at the same time (per box) a friend has 4 of them so can record 12 channels at a time lol.
Software on the boxes can be a little sluggish at times. YouTube through the TiVo box, Netflix just been added too.

Biggest down side is the limitations on how you can get other channels from Sky. For example the F1 is only available with the complete Sky Sports package etc.

Virgin get some bad reviews too, but from my experience its been great value for money, quick engineer visits when faults occur.

From me its a 2 thumbs up Thumbsup

rshdunlop

29-01-2014 03:19 PM

Deal breaker for me with Virgin has been the lack of Sky Atlantic. No Games of Thrones or Mad Men, no business from this household!

Snazy

29-01-2014 03:25 PM

Yeah I know a few people who have said the same. But even if I watched any of those shows, I think I would still prefer the Virgin experience (just my preference).

However, there is strong rumour that Sky Atlantic WILL join the VM line up early this year Thumbup

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields