SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 Next > Last »
The Stanstead Strip
Crumblekatie

14-07-2008 08:22 PM

OK - we have a name! Thanks so much for all the suggestions....never knew I lived in a stag beetle hot spot! (I wonder what that does for property prices?)

Anyhow, the name is obviously top secret until the official unveiling on the 27th July, so come along to find out if your name is being written into local history.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

24-07-2008 07:38 PM

How is the garden going? Is everything ready for the grand opening on Sunday?

Crumblekatie

24-07-2008 11:36 PM

Yes, just putting the finishing touches now, although I have to say there will also be lots of chances to plant on Sunday, so bring your trowels!

All the planning for Sunday looking great, lots of stalls, lots of food, loads for the kids, 2 bands, a fire engine, face painting and Sarah Jane of course. Hope everyone can make it, as even the weather is meant to be good. (2pm - 5pm)

Here it is on the map, if there's still confusion

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?sourceid=n...1&ct=title

Attached File(s)
.pdf File  SRCG_flyer_OPT2_v2[1].pdf (Size: 570.49 KB / Downloads: 407)
Crumblekatie

26-07-2008 10:13 PM

OK last, well maybe penultimate, post from me. Forecast is 27 degress tomorrow, so do come along for some sunshine, strawberries, bands and oh yes, some gardening. Details above

michael

27-07-2008 05:41 PM

A very pleasant afternoon at the Stanstead Strip. Well done to all those involved in organising the garden and the event.

Crumblekatie

28-07-2008 10:30 PM

Thanks so much to everyone who came along yesterday. About 300 (although with the heat my sight did get a bit bleary). Was a really great day, much fun, and great to have our road closed for no other reason than a party!

Thanks so much too for everyone who did the gardening and has volunteered to get involved in the future. If anyone still wants to volunteer, please email

stanstead.gardeners@lewisham.org.uk

Fish Face

31-07-2008 05:14 PM

Stanstead Strip? Unsure

What entertainment goes on here after dark?! Blush

NewForester

04-08-2008 05:26 PM

I was passing today and thought it looked a vast improvement on what was there before. Long may it last Smile

Here are a couple of photos for those who haven't found it yet

Fish Face

04-08-2008 06:11 PM

Is the secret garden behind the wall - or is that bit between the pavement and the wall? Unsure

NewForester

05-08-2008 11:33 AM

It is the strip between the wall (Travis Perkins) and the pavement.

Becca

22-10-2008 11:53 PM

Some more little developments: the Rockbourne Youth Club's urban bird models are going up on the wall tomorrow - and just in case anyone is feeling green-fingered, we have a couple of community planting sessions coming up on Sunday 26 October and Sunday 2 November, 1.30pm-4pm, weather permitting. A garden designer will be on hand and guidance will be given. All welcome!

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

13-03-2009 09:48 AM

Can anyone involved in the group that set up and maintain the Stanstead Strip tell me how they went about getting permission to set up the garden? Is it local autority land or Travis Perkins'? If it was LA land did you go through the 'Streetleaders' scheme with Lewisham Council?

I'd like to do something on a smaller scale in my street but it'd involve removing a strip of 'unnecessary' paving to put some planting in. I don't think the council would even notice if I just went ahead and did it (since they dont seem to have visited out street since about 1969) but I know I'd technically be causing criminal damage.

Crumblekatie

19-03-2009 08:16 PM

Hi

The land is actually owned by travis perkins, so getting them on board was the most important part. Although the council were very supportive and keen not to hold up proceedings. Maybe you could sound out your local councillor about what could be achieved. (Although I'm sure you're right they wouldn't notice and not mind). My memory on the detail is a little foggy, so have asked another member of group to post on all the details, but all in all quite straightforward, if not a little slow!

Crumblekatie

19-03-2009 10:37 PM

And more from the lady who knows....

Hi. Katie's right, you could start with your local councillor who should be very supportive. Our councillor is John Paschoud and he was a real star in terms of info and support. We didn't know about the Streetleaders scheme... still don't, in fact, but it sounds as if it could be useful, too...
To find out if the council owned the land, we contacted David Peru at Lewisham Council Estates Dept. He should be able to help you find out whether your bit of paving is owned by Lewisham Estates/Homes. Dave's Tel: 020 8314 8183
email:dave.peru@lewisham.gov.uk
And... if it isn't owned by Estates then it could be owned or by the Highways dept, in which case you would have to contact the Highways dept, probably, to get permission.
If you pop down to our community garden we now have a noticeboard, with some info on how we went about getting the project off the ground (community consultations, funding bids, and sponsorship). I could email you this info if you like, and you'd be welcome to contact me for a chat, too. Must admit, my mind is a bit foggy too on all the fine detail! It did take a while to get it all going! The Honor Oak Park action group could be worth contacting, too, as they have been making a lot of green improvements around the railway station. This is the link: http://honoroak.blogspot.com/ If all else fails, then you could always look into Guerilla Gardening. Good luck!

Crumblekatie

22-04-2009 02:00 PM

Community Planting Session - Sunday 26 April from 2pm
The Stanstead Strip Gardeners are holding a community planting sesssion with this Sunday from 2pm.

As well as the usual planting and pruning for grown -ups we will also be holding a mini planting session with toddlers where they can
plant sunflowers to take home and watch grow.

If you'd like to join in, do just come along on the day.

About the Stanstead Strip
The Stanstead Strip is a small garden for all the community to enjoy
situated in front to Travis Perkins' wall, just along from Shannon's Garden Centre on Stanstead Road, Forest Hill SE23 1BS.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?sourceid=n...e&resnum=1

roz

22-04-2009 02:04 PM

I've just walked past this and was admiring how good it was looking and what an innovative use of land. I hope to be there on Sunday.

Crumblekatie

10-05-2009 09:06 PM

Thanks to all who came to the recent planting day. In hopefully a modest way, I'd like to say I think it looks pretty great at the moment - many thanks to all involved.

And just in case you'd like to get involved further...

our next Committee meeting is open to all, and will take place on Wed 13 May at 8pm, just off the 'strip'. We?d love as many people as possible to attend ? as will be discussing plans for this year's street party and really need help and volunteers to make it even better that last years. Once again we're hoping for life music, arts and crafts, food, drink and of course gardening.

If you can make it, please email me at stansteadgarden@googlemail.com and I'll reply with the full details etc

Crumblekatie

13-08-2009 01:58 PM

Hi All

The Stanstead Strip Community Garden on the 'old bit' of Stanstead Road is holding a beach party on Monday 31st. All welcome from 1pm.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?sourceid=n...e&resnum=1

Food, drink, entertainment, sandcastles, special guests and plenty more family fun will all be bringing a bit of seaside fun to Stanstead Road so do come along bringing your deckchairs, buckets and spades (and even those old kiss me quick hats).

Hope to see you there

Becca

18-08-2009 02:46 PM

You can pose for a picture with an Aunt Sally made by Forest Hill's very own Lesley Middleton, too, and we may even have a guest appearance by a llama!

Contrary Mary

19-08-2009 06:01 PM

All sounds really exciting - hope to join you!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields