SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Pages (37): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next > Last »
76-78 Honor Oak Park (ex Old Bank)
mgmonkey

16-09-2011 06:40 PM

If this petition etc works I'll be very impressed, but can't help feel if they are approving a Sainsburys local, (i seem to recall a thread mentioned that, I may be wrong), then I think there won't be hard for another high street name to arrive.

I also think there would be a different story if it was Firezza that was opening with it's more classy appeal.

Lastly, if you have been to the uber gentrified yummy mummy oasis that is Crouch End you will see their lovely large old bank building is a KFC.

Fingers crossed my pessimism is totally wrong!

Find all posts by this user
Lok

16-09-2011 07:54 PM

My husband I have both signed and we will spread the word. It might be an idea to post the link on the East Dulwich Forum as well?

mrcee

16-09-2011 10:11 PM

Signed

shzl400

17-09-2011 08:02 AM

Yup, me too.

Not only for the aesthetic issues of converting an attractive building, but also because there is already one (independent) pizza store on the high street, for reasons of dveloping a diverse high street and protecting local independent traders from the power of big chains.

hoona

17-09-2011 10:40 AM

Well said. Important to protect independent outlets.

hoona

17-09-2011 10:41 AM

mgmonkey sainsbury's are now not coming to HOP. Yet another rumour I think.

Redalways

17-09-2011 11:53 AM

I noticed that the Peckham Circus have plastered their posters all over the Old Bank. Sure one or two anti Dominos will be OK.

Ozymandias

17-09-2011 01:39 PM

I was told about the proposed Dominos last night. It is in such a prominent position that it would dominate (no pun intended) the whole of the street. It must be opposed. There is a a petition that you can find at PetitionOnline. It takes moments to sign up. It is also important to to register your objection online at Lewisham Borough Council.

mrcee

17-09-2011 03:18 PM

Agreed, we all need to officially object with lewisham council as well.

http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/LEWIS-XSL...mkey=64364

roadrummer

17-09-2011 03:33 PM

Signed and email sent to Lewisham council. I lived near Dominoes on Grove Vale and there was a constant noisy stream of pizza delivery bikes out front. The scooter revving at the Old Bank will drive customers from the outside areas at both Hopscotch and Hills and Parkes. It's really not good for either of those terrific businesses. I've expressed as much to the council, but who knows if they'll listen.

Baboonery

17-09-2011 10:19 PM

Or perhaps a functioning business that looks after its premises and doesn't serve as a poster site?

Bcm

18-09-2011 09:54 AM

Over 100 signatures already, well done everyone!

Southlonder

18-09-2011 12:03 PM

i've signed and have sent a detailed email to the Lewisham planning department. The later is more likely to be effective to be honest, you all need to flood the planning@lewisham.gov.uk email quoting the Application Number:DC/11/78332/X

Come on everyone, let's stop this outrage Thumbsup

movingsouth

18-09-2011 09:57 PM

interesting...
may I ask what a viable alternative you would welcome?
(must add I do not like pizza in general let alone anything that vaguely resembles it)
Oh yes, there is another post about it
Do people truly still rent movies off Blockbuster? really?

it is all well to oppose
but what about been pro active?
want to start a business?
want to put the money where your ... mouth is?
lets start a community business than
I have 10k to offer
what about you? Scared

(pls note had Rioja at barcelona earlier on)Rolleyes

BarCar

19-09-2011 08:15 AM

Any objections will need to carefully cite relevant planning policy to be successful.

Questions I have:

- Where will bikes park during day/evening, how many will be used?
-- if on pavement, this could cause congestion/risk to pedestrians at bus stop or high foot traffic from station
-- if on grierson road, then what is impact on already congested parking? c.f. D&M van hire chaos at Brockley station.
-- if inside shop, what is the risk to pedestrians of traffic crossing the pavement form 8am to 11pm?

- Is loss of one of the few restaurants in the parade due to change of use appropriate when compared with existing provision for take/away/delivery? Shouldn't planning policy encourage a diverse range of businesses on the parade? There is already ample provision for take-away food on the parade and in the wider area. There is limited provision for restaurants.

- what is the quality of signs/materials used to be used on this historic building which is the 'gateway' to the parade from the station. this would need to be of very high quality.

[Admin, can we merge the two threads on this topic?]

BarCar

19-09-2011 08:51 AM

Objection submitted:

Quote:
We wish to object to planning application DC/11/78332/X requesting "the change of use of the ground floor at 76-78 Honor Oak Park SE23 to Use Class A5 (Hot food takeaway), together with the installation of a new shopfront at No 76, installation of new door at 78 and extract duct/air compressors to the rear at No 78".

In brief, the following are, our reasons for objecting:

- The parade at Honor Oak Park is a somewhat fragile retail ecosystem and it relies on planning policy to maintain the diversity of the services offered so that there is a critical mass to maintain viability of all the businesses.
-- There is already ample provision for hot food takeway at several establishments on the parade and in the wider area. There is no evidence of demand for another take-away establishment on the parade (a similar establishment recently went out of business directly opposite the proposed venue)
-- There is very limited provision for restaurants on the parade - this change of use application will result in further homgenisation of the offerings of the parade and in loss of amenity for nearby residents
-- The business model used by the applicant will bring no further foot-fall to the parade resulting in lower customer traffic and affecting the viability of the entire street

- The building in question, at the corner of Honor Oak Park and Grierson road is an attractive former bank with period features. It was sensitively developed by the former occupier and provides a high quality "gateway" for visitors to the parade from the railway station. Although the applicant has not yet submitted design drawings for their proposal, given the design of their other premises across the city, I do not expect that they will be in keeping with the quality of the building or with the significant position it occupies on the parade. The storage of bikes at the shop-front will likely further detract from the quality of the shop front and the area. If this application is to be approved then the very highest design standards must be required of the shop-front, signage and delivery bike storage.

- The nature of the proposed business is such that there will be motor-cycles required for delivery. Given the size of the premises it is presumed that this will be a major delivery hub with a significant number of motor-cycles. There is no information in this application as to the location where these bikes will be parked during the hours of operation or when the premises is closed:
-- if bikes are to parked on pavement, this could cause congestion/risk to pedestrians at the adjacent bus stop or to those travelling to/from the railway station.
-- if bikes are to be parked on Grierson Road, then consideration should be made as to the already congested parking in the area. For comparison, see D&M Van Hire at Brockley station which causes parking chaos due to lack of off-street parking.
-- if bikes are to be parked on Honor Oak Park, then consideration should be made as to the impact on already limited parking and the high traffic volume on that road
-- if bikes are to be parked inside the premises, there should be a risk assessment of the resulting traffic constantly crossing the pavement during hours of operation.

- Since this building is at the junction of the parade with a large residential area and a frequently congested main road, it is presumed that Grierson Road and the adjoining streets will be used as a "rat-run" for the delivery bikes (despite the road closure at that location). Consideration of the noise and traffic impact on the residents of these streets should be made in deciding whether to approve this application.

For these reasons, we urge the council to reject this application and retain the building as a restaurant.

admin
Administrator

19-09-2011 08:57 AM

Threads merged.

Tersie

19-09-2011 11:01 AM

This is brilliant - I am going to assist in giving out flyers.

I am also urging everyone on here to cut and paste one of the great letters that have been posted on here and email this text into planning@lewisham.gov.uk (Please state your name and full address on this email) I have just been told by planning that this will then be officially logged as an opposition to the planning application!! It will only take a minute to do this and I think between us all (there have been hundreds reading this thread!!!) we can put pressure on Lewisham to not grant permission to Dominos to trade from this unit and for it to stay as a bar / sit down restaurant, which would be way more suited for our Parade.

BMqpr

19-09-2011 12:06 PM

Can I ask who is going to open this bar / restaurant that everyone goes on about? Are any of the objectors going to?
Currently the only people are Dominoes, who will also supply some new local employment for the young unemployed.
No body else seems to be rushing to open anything on that site.
So while I understand people's objections think a little more about the state of the market. Pizza places, especially take-aways are one of the few businesses that have done well in the last few years and are employing youngsters, who currently 1 in 5 are out of work. It's a lot tougher for bars / restaurants. So you could end up for quite a while with an empty site, which is no use to anyone.
The signage issue I do believe is a valid argument, and should be pushed that what they use sits alongside and is reflective of the other shops on that parade.

Cheeky

19-09-2011 12:13 PM

posted in a different thread earlier but I guess this is a more relevant one.

A pub similar to that of The Devonshire or Jam Circus for me without a doubt for that property.

It may be of interest to some of you on here that towards the end of July I wrote to the owners of Jam Circus asking them to have a look at The Old Bank site as a possible outlet for one of their pubs. They were very good in responding and had said they will look into it, I subsequently got another response saying they had put an application in for it. That's as far as I got with them really and all this talk of a 'restraunteur' having taken it on I had everything crossed that it was them. I was gutted when I saw it was dominoes. I only fear that the time in between it being The Old Bank and July that Dominoes had beaten them to it. I say again, GUTTED!!!!

If anything though this does show that they had an interest in the property and for a place in the area (probably though, specifically that place. I don't know if saying anything more about it now would do any good?? We can but try though!!

I also sent a message to The Sun and Doves ages ago now asking (albeit via their twitter account (I actually had to set a twitter account up myself to do it)) them to have a look seeings as they showed some interest on here a while back but had no such response.

Who knows hey, I fear I/we are fighting a losing battle.

Pages (37): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields