SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Bin disappearance
EDjules

17-01-2014 12:13 PM

I live on the corner of Honor Oak Park and Wyleu street in a house split into 3 flats. Unfortunately there is no space to tuck the bins into the front garden due to a poorly designed set of electricity meters in the way so they are neatly left on the street on Wyleu.

Problem is our bins keep disappearing. At first I thought was the bin men thinking we had too many as the property looks like a house but now all our bins have gone! I did wonder if someone was pinching our bins because they are always new and shiny but that also seems quite odd due to the frequency. This happens quite often and I was wondering if anyone else has this problem?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sherwood

17-01-2014 04:13 PM

It's a common problem, which is why most people put the house number on their bin. Probably occurs because most bins look alike!

Perryman

17-01-2014 06:44 PM

Quote:
Probably occurs because most bins look alike!

Racist!

PJT

17-01-2014 07:45 PM

Don't give up hope of finding your bins. Not wishing to be a "bin bore" but it's quite something to watch the preparations made by the "Bin Scout Team" before the bin lorry even arrives. Let me explain.

I live on HOP and last year the bins from our property also disappeared until I suddenly spied one of them across the main road. On further investigation I found the others were also on the wrong side of the street and were dumped at various locations up HOP, practically as far up as the parade of shops!

Having now studied the "Bin Scout Team" operating practices, and in particular the Recycling Bin team, who arrive mid morning, I've seen at first hand the way the "Scout" gathers the bins and dodges the traffic on HOP main road to place the bins all on one side of the street. The problem is that after they've been emptied he has no idea of which properties the bins belong to unless they have the numbers painted on them so they mostly remain dumped for us to hunt them down!

I'm certain your bins will be amongst the ones currently abandoned on the pavements of HOP. But would definitely recommend painting your property number on them to help you identify them easily in the future.

Hope you find them.

oryx

17-01-2014 10:18 PM

we have our house number painted onto our recycling bin and regularly find it half way up the road - though they've not been too bad the last few weeks

I actually complained to the Council a couple of years ago Blush as we were so fed up with returning from work every Wednesday evening and having to add ten minutes of bin-hunting on to our day. Various responses didn't really get me anywhere.

Tinkerbell

18-01-2014 09:27 AM

I have nothing useful to contribute, except that this thread has cheered me up a lot on an otherwise dull and grey Saturday morning in SE23. Thumbsup

Erekose

18-01-2014 10:00 AM

When ours disappeared I eventually found it outside a house some distance away filled with builders rubble.....not wishing to inherit someone else's problem I requested a new one which arrived very promptly.

EDjules

22-01-2014 03:06 PM

Thanks all, will be sure to paint the new ones once they arrive. Also, can't just be the bin men because they collect on Wednesdays and the last one vanished on a Thursday. I now realize I should get out more!

Sherwood

22-01-2014 04:52 PM

It's a job for Hercules Poirot!

PJT

22-01-2014 04:59 PM

I have some thoughts to offer:

There was a change of bin collection days over the Festive period, one of which was a Thursday!

or

Someone else had their bin mislaid on the Wednesday and decided to help themselves to yours instead!

Now I really must go and get my anorak on .... got a bit of trainspotting to do ... Rolleyes

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields