SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Shackleton - Local Hero
michael

15-01-2014 03:59 PM

Quote:
At Bromley Library, on Thursday the 6th of February, Michael Smith, the polar historian and best-selling author, is to give an illustrated lecture on the legendary exploits of Sir Ernest Shackleton to mark the centenary of the famous Endurance expedition to the Antarctic.

From an early life in Sydenham and at Dulwich College, the charismatic Shackleton travelled on four memorable Antarctic voyages and became one of the greatest explorers of all time.

Shackleton marched to within 100 miles of the South Pole in 1909 and the Endurance expedition became the most awe-inspiring story of hardship and survival in the history of exploration. Shackleton lived life “like a mighty rushing” wind and was happiest in the ice where he could leave behind his complex private life.

A Q & A session will follow the talk.

The presentation will be at Bromley Library on the 6th of February at 7.30pm. Tickets are £5.00 and available at Bromley Library, or by phone at 020 8460 9955, booking is advised.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Triangle

17-01-2014 03:33 PM

When I was at Forest Hill School and there were six houses, one was named Shackleton - I knew he was a great explorer, but in all the time I was there, I never knew that he had been a "local" lad.

Iceman

17-01-2014 03:54 PM

I went to the same school as him. Not in the same year though. If you go to the north cloister in Dulwich College they have the James Caird there. That's the boat that he did his trip to South Georgia on. Scarily small. There's a few boards with information on the voyage.

If questioned why you're hanging round a school just say you're an old Alleynian or wear DC school uniform. Your choice.

Interesting all the same.

Mr_Numbers

17-01-2014 04:32 PM

His house in Westwood Hill, Sydenham, has a blue plaque...

http://www.lomography.com/magazine/locat...shackleton

oryx

17-01-2014 10:22 PM

If you're interested in Shackleton, I would highly recommend 'Endurance' by Alfred Lansing - the story of Shackleton's trip to the Antarctic (that's how I'd heard of the James Caird). It's an absolutely gripping tale.

andrewr

27-01-2014 10:32 AM

Shackleton's own account of the trip entitled, simply, 'South', also makes fascinating reading. One extraordinary thing I remember about the book is that despite all the tribulations, they managed to keep a record of exactly how many of each animal they slaughtered in order to stay alive! There's no mention of how they managed to keep a fire going throughout the trip - did they have matches in tins perhaps? They also ate a lot of 'pemmican' - presumably everyone knew what that was when the book was written. I had to look it up...

Triangle

27-01-2014 11:20 AM

"South" is also available as a DVD from the British Film Institute. It is the original film recording of the expedition which has been digitally restored. BFI restorations are always top notch - so should be good. Will of course be silent with added music.

Full details available on link below:

http://filmstore.bfi.org.uk/acatalog/info_28.html

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields